|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do the men check at breakfast on the day of their departure?
(a) Their weight.
(b) The weather.
(c) The newspaper for news on their trip.
(d) Their bank accounts.
2. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
(a) J. and Harris.
(b) George, Harris, and J.
(c) Harris and George.
(d) George and J.
3. What do the men do to celebrate coming to a compromise about their sleeping arrangements?
(a) Have custom tents made.
(b) Go out for a drink.
(c) Give each other a pat on the back.
(d) Smoke a fancy cigar.
4. How do the men ultimately get the train they need?
(a) Be random luck.
(b) By following a pretty girl.
(c) By asking for help.
(d) By bribing a conductor.
5. In the first chapter, who admits that he is something of a hypochondriac?
(c) The narrator.
6. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) Salted meat.
(d) A bottle of whiskey.
7. J. believes that fellow boaters blame _________________when their tow lines get tangled.
(a) The god of water.
(b) The goddess of rivers.
(d) Each other.
8. What is Harris's full name?
(a) Chistopherson Brice Harris.
(b) Samuel William Harris.
(c) Brice Christopherson Harris.
(d) William Samuel Harris.
9. What vice are the main characters doing when the novel opens?
(b) Visiting a place where prostitutes hang out.
10. Who wakes up the men when they oversleep on the first day of their journey?
(a) Their moms.
(b) No one.
(c) A telephone call.
(d) The housekeeper.
11. What is the most common way for someone to pull the tow line?
(a) While walking.
(b) While running.
(c) On roller skates.
(d) With a special contraption that looks like a tractor.
12. Who wishes that he hadn't packed his tobacco pouch so soon?
(d) Their river guide.
13. Why do the people in the boat often want the attention of the person pulling the tow line?
(a) Something has gone wrong.
(b) People play a game of trying to get the most attention.
(c) Everyone wants a chance to pull.
(d) It is customary to tease them.
14. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
15. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
(a) Their children.
(b) Their mothers.
(c) Their girlfriends.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
2. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
3. Kingston is known for being ___________________.
4. Whom does Harris usually mention during his performance?
5. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
This section contains 493 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)