|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Lazy ones.
(b) Cruel ones.
(c) Rich ones.
(d) Proper ones.
2. What do the men decide should be listed when it comes to packing?
(a) Only the things they cannot do without.
(b) Everything and anything they can think of.
(c) Things they might forget.
(d) Thing they won't be embarrassed to be caught with.
3. Why is Stivvings always missing school?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He sleeps in and misses the bus.
(c) He must help his ailing mother.
(d) He cuts classes with his friends.
4. What meal do the men eat before departing on their trip?
5. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Large, voluminous gowns.
(b) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
(c) Pedal pushers.
6. Kingston is known for being ___________________.
(a) The largest port city in England.
(b) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the Irish.
(c) The former royal seat of the Saxon kings.
(d) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the German.
7. The three main characters decide they need a break for __________.
(a) One week.
(b) One month.
(c) Three days
(d) Ten days.
8. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
(a) His food is stolen.
(b) All the other passengers leave him alone.
(c) Everyone wants some of his food.
(d) He makes money selling food to hungry passengers.
9. Who starts teasing the men as they get their luggage ready to go?
(a) No one.
(b) Some girls who walk by.
(c) Their mothers.
(d) A group of young boys.
10. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
(a) Halliford and Shepperton.
(b) Burlington and Burlingame.
(c) Boston and Newport.
(d) Newport and Bridgeport.
11. What do the men do to celebrate coming to a compromise about their sleeping arrangements?
(a) Have custom tents made.
(b) Go out for a drink.
(c) Give each other a pat on the back.
(d) Smoke a fancy cigar.
12. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Comic songs.
(b) Opera songs.
(c) Romantic songs.
(d) Jazz songs.
13. What do the men push aside to make room for everything they want to pack?
(a) Invited guests.
(b) The furniture.
(c) The dining table only.
(d) The rug.
14. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(b) Salted meat.
(d) Bread and jam.
15. What does the story of the shop in a former house prompt J. to think about?
(a) How important women are to making a place look nice.
(b) How money can't buy happiness.
(c) How people always seem to end up with what they do not want.
(d) How there's nothing like a place to call home.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of song does the audience think the German man is singing in J.'s story about the joke being played on everyone at a dinner party?
2. Who accidentally sits on the butter as the men are packing?
3. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
4. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
5. Who wishes that he hadn't packed his tobacco pouch so soon?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)