|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the first chapter, who admits that he is something of a hypochondriac?
(c) The narrator.
2. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) They were up so late packing.
(b) Someone drugged them.
(c) They don't really want to go.
(d) They are all getting sick.
3. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
4. What do men usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Bright colored blazers and straw hats.
(c) Silk suits.
(d) Walking shorts.
5. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Very good.
6. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
(a) He attracts a lot of attention because he is so good.
(b) He forgets the words.
(c) He makes people cry.
(d) He loses his voice because he sings so loudly.
7. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Pedal pushers.
(b) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
(c) Large, voluminous gowns.
8. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
(a) Their housekeeper.
9. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
(a) Newport and Bridgeport.
(b) Burlington and Burlingame.
(c) Halliford and Shepperton.
(d) Boston and Newport.
10. Whom do the men blame for oversleeping?
(a) Each other.
(b) The dog.
(c) The alarm clock.
(d) The maid.
11. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
(a) Cook breakfast.
(b) Clean the bathrooms.
(c) Pull the tow line.
(d) Cook lunch.
12. How do the men ultimately get the train they need?
(a) By bribing a conductor.
(b) By following a pretty girl.
(c) Be random luck.
(d) By asking for help.
13. What kind of stove do the three men decide not to take on their trip?
(a) A coal stove.
(b) A gas stove.
(c) An oil stove.
(d) A steam stove.
14. Where do the men make a pile of everything they want to pack?
(a) In the town square.
(b) In the center of the room.
(c) In the garage.
(d) In the backyard.
15. Why do the people in the boat often want the attention of the person pulling the tow line?
(a) Something has gone wrong.
(b) People play a game of trying to get the most attention.
(c) Everyone wants a chance to pull.
(d) It is customary to tease them.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
2. What example is given of a simple project Uncle Podger would undertake?
3. According to J., what animals do some kind of boaters hire to pull their boats?
4. What is distinct about the house in Kingston which J. tells a story about?
5. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)