|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which train station do the men go to as they are preparing to start their journey?
(a) Waterloo Station.
(b) Big Ben Station.
(c) London Station.
(d) Grand Central Station.
2. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
(a) A barrel of whiskey.
(b) Large cheeses.
(c) Frog legs.
(d) Pig feet.
3. What does J. note often happens to the person responsible for pulling the tow line?
(a) He trips over the long rope.
(b) He trips.
(c) He gets very angry.
(d) He gets distracted.
4. Who is the narrator of "Three Men in a Boat"?
(a) A neutral person we never see.
5. What word does J. use to describe what it's like to get one's boat towed by girls?
6. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) They are all getting sick.
(b) They don't really want to go.
(c) Someone drugged them.
(d) They were up so late packing.
7. What kind of tree are Harris and J. sitting under when they are accused of trespassing?
(a) A willow.
(b) A cherry tree.
(c) An oak.
(d) An apple tree.
8. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(a) Salted meat.
(b) Bread and jam.
(c) A bottle of whiskey.
9. What do the men check at breakfast on the day of their departure?
(a) The weather.
(b) Their bank accounts.
(c) The newspaper for news on their trip.
(d) Their weight.
10. Which character has already been lost in the hedge maze along the river?
(b) The boat captain.
11. J. believes that fellow boaters blame _________________when their tow lines get tangled.
(a) The goddess of rivers.
(b) The god of water.
(d) Each other.
12. What is the most common way for someone to pull the tow line?
(a) On roller skates.
(b) With a special contraption that looks like a tractor.
(c) While walking.
(d) While running.
13. What is unique about Moulsey Lock?
(a) It is continually under construction but never finished.
(b) It is one of the busiest on the river.
(c) It is never used.
(d) It has recently burned down.
14. What do the men push aside to make room for everything they want to pack?
(a) The furniture.
(b) The rug.
(c) The dining table only.
(d) Invited guests.
15. What does "J." stand for?
Short Answer Questions
1. What vice are the main characters doing when the novel opens?
2. Who brings up the idea of inclement weather when the group is trying to decide if they should camp or sleep at inns during their trip?
3. What does the group do with the initial list of items to bring?
4. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
5. Who accidentally sits on the butter as the men are packing?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)