|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
(a) He makes money selling food to hungry passengers.
(b) Everyone wants some of his food.
(c) His food is stolen.
(d) All the other passengers leave him alone.
2. What time do the men wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 1:00 p.m.
(b) 10:00 a.m.
(c) 11:00 a.m.
(d) 9:00 a.m.
3. Who accidentally sits on the butter as the men are packing?
(a) The dog.
4. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
(a) A very mysterious song.
(b) A very sad song.
(c) A very funny song.
(d) A very religious song.
5. What kind of tree are Harris and J. sitting under when they are accused of trespassing?
(a) A cherry tree.
(b) An apple tree.
(c) An oak.
(d) A willow.
6. What is unique about Moulsey Lock?
(a) It is one of the busiest on the river.
(b) It has recently burned down.
(c) It is never used.
(d) It is continually under construction but never finished.
7. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
(b) Their girlfriends.
(c) Their children.
(d) Their mothers.
8. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
(b) Pedal pushers.
(d) Large, voluminous gowns.
9. Who starts teasing the men as they get their luggage ready to go?
(a) No one.
(b) Their mothers.
(c) A group of young boys.
(d) Some girls who walk by.
10. What do the men decide should be listed when it comes to packing?
(a) Only the things they cannot do without.
(b) Thing they won't be embarrassed to be caught with.
(c) Everything and anything they can think of.
(d) Things they might forget.
11. Where does Harris first mention wanting to get out and look at tombstone inscriptions?
(a) On the train ride.
(b) The lock cemetery.
(c) Hampton Church.
12. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Very good.
13. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 6:30 a.m.
(b) 5:30 a.m.
(c) 7:30 a.m.
(d) 4:30 a.m.
14. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Comic songs.
(b) Jazz songs.
(c) Opera songs.
(d) Romantic songs.
15. Who remembers that he has forgotten to pack boots?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most common way for someone to pull the tow line?
2. According to J., what are girls constantly asking while they tow the boat?
3. Where do the men take their train to meet their boat?
4. How do the men want to get to the train station?
5. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)