|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does J.'s doctor prescribe?
(a) A hearty diet and exercise.
(b) Less smoking.
(c) More calories.
(d) Less drinking.
2. The three main characters decide they need a break for __________.
(a) Three days
(b) One month.
(c) Ten days.
(d) One week.
3. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
(a) J. and Harris.
(b) Harris and George.
(c) George, Harris, and J.
(d) George and J.
4. Who wishes that he hadn't packed his tobacco pouch so soon?
(b) Their river guide.
5. Which character has already been lost in the hedge maze along the river?
(c) The boat captain.
6. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Rich ones.
(b) Proper ones.
(c) Lazy ones.
(d) Cruel ones.
7. What kind of tree are Harris and J. sitting under when they are accused of trespassing?
(a) A cherry tree.
(b) A willow.
(c) An oak.
(d) An apple tree.
8. How do the men want to get to the train station?
(a) By bus.
(b) By cab.
(c) By horse.
(d) By bicycle.
9. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
(d) South Africa.
10. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
(a) Church attire.
(b) Wet suits.
(d) Their Sunday boating dresses.
11. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Large, voluminous gowns.
(b) Pedal pushers.
(c) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
12. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
(a) His food is stolen.
(b) He makes money selling food to hungry passengers.
(c) Everyone wants some of his food.
(d) All the other passengers leave him alone.
13. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
(a) A very sad song.
(b) A very mysterious song.
(c) A very religious song.
(d) A very funny song.
14. What is the most common way for someone to pull the tow line?
(a) With a special contraption that looks like a tractor.
(b) While walking.
(c) On roller skates.
(d) While running.
15. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) Someone drugged them.
(b) They are all getting sick.
(c) They were up so late packing.
(d) They don't really want to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
2. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
3. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
4. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
5. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)