|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) They are all getting sick.
(b) They don't really want to go.
(c) Someone drugged them.
(d) They were up so late packing.
2. Where do the men take their train to meet their boat?
3. How do the men ultimately get the train they need?
(a) By asking for help.
(b) By bribing a conductor.
(c) Be random luck.
(d) By following a pretty girl.
4. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
(b) Church attire.
(c) Wet suits.
(d) Their Sunday boating dresses.
5. What meal do the men eat before departing on their trip?
6. Who initially attempts to take charge of deciding what to bring on the trip?
(a) The housekeeper.
7. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(a) Very good.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
8. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
(d) The dog.
9. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
(a) Halliford and Shepperton.
(b) Boston and Newport.
(c) Burlington and Burlingame.
(d) Newport and Bridgeport.
10. What does the group do with the initial list of items to bring?
(a) They end up fighting over it so much that it is torn into pieces.
(b) They keep it as a souvenir.
(c) They nail it to the boat.
(d) They throw it out.
11. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
(a) It is hard to get out of their way.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) They move very quickly.
(d) They get in frequent accidents.
12. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Jazz songs.
(b) Comic songs.
(c) Romantic songs.
(d) Opera songs.
13. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
(a) His food is stolen.
(b) All the other passengers leave him alone.
(c) He makes money selling food to hungry passengers.
(d) Everyone wants some of his food.
14. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Lazy ones.
(b) Cruel ones.
(c) Proper ones.
(d) Rich ones.
15. What kind of song does the audience think the German man is singing in J.'s story about the joke being played on everyone at a dinner party?
(a) A very mysterious song.
(b) A ver religious song.
(c) A very sad song.
(d) A very funny song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does J. think tow lines have an uncanny ability to do?
2. Kingston is known for being ___________________.
3. According to J., what are girls constantly asking while they tow the boat?
4. What is unique about Moulsey Lock?
5. Where do the men decide they will leave from to begin their river journey?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)