|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
(a) Their mothers.
(b) Their girlfriends.
(d) Their children.
2. Who does not think the river trip is a fine idea?
(a) Everyone's mother.
(b) The dog.
(c) Everyone's girlfriend.
(d) The housekeeper.
3. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
(a) A very sad song.
(b) A very mysterious song.
(c) A very religious song.
(d) A very funny song.
4. What does "J." stand for?
5. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Proper ones.
(b) Cruel ones.
(c) Lazy ones.
(d) Rich ones.
6. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
(a) It is hard to get out of their way.
(b) They move very quickly.
(c) They get in frequent accidents.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
7. How do the men want to get to the train station?
(a) By horse.
(b) By bus.
(c) By bicycle.
(d) By cab.
8. What example is given of a simple project Uncle Podger would undertake?
(a) Cooking breakfast.
(b) Fixing the car.
(c) Fixing the chimney.
(d) Hanging a picture.
9. What do men usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Silk suits.
(b) Walking shorts.
(c) Bright colored blazers and straw hats.
10. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Jazz songs.
(b) Romantic songs.
(c) Comic songs.
(d) Opera songs.
11. What does George report seeing a couple doing with their tow line once?
(a) Arguing over it.
(b) Using it to play tug-of-war.
(c) Pulling it , although it was not attached to anything.
(d) Cutting it in half because they were so angry with each other.
12. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
(b) Their housekeeper.
13. According to J., what are girls constantly asking while they tow the boat?
(a) If they are doing it okay.
(b) Why the men felt the need to pack so much stuff.
(c) If they can have some water.
(d) If they can stop.
14. In what year was "Three Men in a Boat" published?
15. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(a) Very good.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose relative is Uncle Podger?
2. Which character has already been lost in the hedge maze along the river?
3. How do Harris and J. respond to the accusation that they are trespassing?
4. What time do the men wake up on the day they start their journey?
5. Who is the narrator of "Three Men in a Boat"?
This section contains 477 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)