|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Kingston is known for being ___________________.
(a) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the Irish.
(b) A large battle that was fought there between the French and the German.
(c) The largest port city in England.
(d) The former royal seat of the Saxon kings.
2. What is Harris's full name?
(a) Samuel William Harris.
(b) William Samuel Harris.
(c) Brice Christopherson Harris.
(d) Chistopherson Brice Harris.
3. What time do the men wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 9:00 a.m.
(b) 1:00 p.m.
(c) 10:00 a.m.
(d) 11:00 a.m.
4. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Very good.
5. According to J., what animals do some kind of boaters hire to pull their boats?
6. Where does Harris first mention wanting to get out and look at tombstone inscriptions?
(a) The lock cemetery.
(c) Hampton Church.
(d) On the train ride.
7. What vice are the main characters doing when the novel opens?
(d) Visiting a place where prostitutes hang out.
8. What kinds of songs does Harris sometimes sing at parties?
(a) Romantic songs.
(b) Opera songs.
(c) Comic songs.
(d) Jazz songs.
9. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
(a) Harris and George.
(b) George and J.
(c) J. and Harris.
(d) George, Harris, and J.
10. What word does J. use to describe what it's like to get one's boat towed by girls?
11. According to J., what are girls constantly asking while they tow the boat?
(a) If they can have some water.
(b) If they can stop.
(c) If they are doing it okay.
(d) Why the men felt the need to pack so much stuff.
12. Why is Stivvings always missing school?
(a) He is sick.
(b) He cuts classes with his friends.
(c) He sleeps in and misses the bus.
(d) He must help his ailing mother.
13. What is unique about Moulsey Lock?
(a) It is one of the busiest on the river.
(b) It is never used.
(c) It is continually under construction but never finished.
(d) It has recently burned down.
14. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
(c) Pedal pushers.
(d) Large, voluminous gowns.
15. Who initially attempts to take charge of deciding what to bring on the trip?
(d) The housekeeper.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does J. claim people finally get used to being on a ship?
2. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
3. Who ends up packing all of the clothes and supplies in the men's first attempt?
4. Who is the narrator of "Three Men in a Boat"?
5. When discussing what food items to bring, what food item does J. tell an amusing story about bringing on a train?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)