|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
(a) They move very quickly.
(b) It is hard to get out of their way.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) They get in frequent accidents.
2. What do the men check at breakfast on the day of their departure?
(a) Their bank accounts.
(b) The newspaper for news on their trip.
(c) The weather.
(d) Their weight.
3. According to J., what animals do some kind of boaters hire to pull their boats?
4. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
(b) The dog.
5. What is distinct about the house in Kingston which J. tells a story about?
(a) There is a lot of carved oak present in the house.
(b) The owner has covered the walls with wallpaper.
(c) It has a large, beautiful staircase.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
6. What kind of song is the German man in J.'s story singing when the audience has a joke played on them?
(a) A very mysterious song.
(b) A very funny song.
(c) A very religious song.
(d) A very sad song.
7. What meal do the men eat before departing on their trip?
8. What do the men decide not to list when it comes to packing?
(a) Anything that will get them in trouble.
(b) Anything that begins with a vowel.
(c) Anything they can buy along the way.
(d) What they think they want.
9. Where do Harris and J. stop when they are informed they are trespassing?
(a) Kempton Park.
(b) Hemmingway Park.
(c) Central Park.
(d) Tower of Big Ben.
10. Where do the men decide they will leave from to begin their river journey?
11. What kind of stove do the three men decide not to take on their trip?
(a) An oil stove.
(b) A gas stove.
(c) A steam stove.
(d) A coal stove.
12. What country are the three main characters in "Three Men in a Boat" from?
(b) South Africa.
13. Who first volunteers to pack everything?
(b) The dog.
14. After reaching a compromise on the camping/going to an inn decision, when do the friends next meet up to plan their trip?
(a) A week later.
(b) The following morning.
(c) The following night.
(d) The next day at lunch.
15. Why is Stivvings always missing school?
(a) He must help his ailing mother.
(b) He cuts classes with his friends.
(c) He is sick.
(d) He sleeps in and misses the bus.
Short Answer Questions
1. What usually happens when Harris tries to sing songs at parties?
2. What happens to J. when he gets on the train after telling his story while the men decide which food to bring?
3. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
4. What is Harris's full name?
5. When does J. claim people finally get used to being on a ship?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)