|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
(b) The dog.
2. What do the men do to celebrate coming to a compromise about their sleeping arrangements?
(a) Give each other a pat on the back.
(b) Go out for a drink.
(c) Smoke a fancy cigar.
(d) Have custom tents made.
3. What is distinct about the house in Kingston which J. tells a story about?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) The owner has covered the walls with wallpaper.
(c) There is a lot of carved oak present in the house.
(d) It has a large, beautiful staircase.
4. In the first chapter, who admits that he is something of a hypochondriac?
(b) The narrator.
5. When does J. claim people finally get used to being on a ship?
(b) Right before the trip is over.
(c) It depends on if they are a man or a woman.
(d) After 24 hours.
6. What time did the men want to wake up on the day they start their journey?
(a) 5:30 a.m.
(b) 7:30 a.m.
(c) 4:30 a.m.
(d) 6:30 a.m.
7. Why do the men oversleep right as they begin their journey?
(a) Someone drugged them.
(b) They were up so late packing.
(c) They are all getting sick.
(d) They don't really want to go.
8. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
(a) Cook lunch.
(b) Clean the bathrooms.
(c) Cook breakfast.
(d) Pull the tow line.
9. Who accidentally sits on the butter as the men are packing?
(d) The dog.
10. Which characters are initially in favor of camping during the trip?
(a) Harris and George.
(b) J. and Harris.
(c) George, Harris, and J.
(d) George and J.
11. Harris and J. agree they will try one day to get _________into the maze.
(a) Their mothers.
(b) Their children.
(c) Their girlfriends.
12. What meal do the men eat before departing on their trip?
13. What do women usually wear when going to a lock?
(a) Pretty (but often impractical) dresses.
(b) Pedal pushers.
(d) Large, voluminous gowns.
14. What does J.'s doctor prescribe?
(a) Less drinking.
(b) Less smoking.
(c) More calories.
(d) A hearty diet and exercise.
15. What kind of song does the audience think the German man is singing in J.'s story about the joke being played on everyone at a dinner party?
(a) A very sad song.
(b) A ver religious song.
(c) A very funny song.
(d) A very mysterious song.
Short Answer Questions
1. What time do the men wake up on the day they start their journey?
2. How do the men want to get to the train station?
3. After reaching a compromise on the camping/going to an inn decision, when do the friends next meet up to plan their trip?
4. Where do the men decide they will leave from to begin their river journey?
5. What towns are Harris and J. rowing by as J. tries to keep Harris from stopping to read tomb inscriptions?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)