|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who worries that he may have forgotten to pack his toothbrush?
(b) The dog.
2. What food item do the men discuss and decide not to bring with them on their trip?
3. Where do the men make a pile of everything they want to pack?
(a) In the town square.
(b) In the backyard.
(c) In the center of the room.
(d) In the garage.
4. What is the first act of work which Harris and J. make George do when he finally gets on the boat?
(a) Pull the tow line.
(b) Cook breakfast.
(c) Cook lunch.
(d) Clean the bathrooms.
5. Where do Harris and J. stop when they are informed they are trespassing?
(a) Central Park.
(b) Kempton Park.
(c) Tower of Big Ben.
(d) Hemmingway Park.
6. How do Harris and J. respond to the accusation that they are trespassing?
(a) They take the man's word for it but refuse to move.
(b) They beat up the man accusing them.
(c) They move immediately.
(d) They pretend they are lawyers so that the man leaves them alone.
7. What does Harris offer the man who accuses him of trespassing?
(a) A bottle of whiskey.
(c) Bread and jam.
(d) Salted meat.
8. What do the men push aside to make room for everything they want to pack?
(a) The rug.
(b) The furniture.
(c) The dining table only.
(d) Invited guests.
9. What does J.'s doctor prescribe?
(a) More calories.
(b) Less drinking.
(c) A hearty diet and exercise.
(d) Less smoking.
10. Where does Harris first mention wanting to get out and look at tombstone inscriptions?
(a) Hampton Church.
(c) On the train ride.
(d) The lock cemetery.
11. What kind of singer does Harris imagine himself to be?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Very good.
12. According to J., what kinds of people hire animals to pull their boats?
(a) Cruel ones.
(b) Lazy ones.
(c) Proper ones.
(d) Rich ones.
13. What are people wearing when the young men reach Moulsey Lock?
(a) Wet suits.
(b) Their Sunday boating dresses.
(d) Church attire.
14. According to Harris's thinking, who has accused them of trespassing?
(a) The landowner.
(b) A member of the royal family.
(c) A ghost from the past.
(d) Just someone who tries to extort money from unknowning boaters.
15. According to J., what often happens to the boats that are being pulled by animals?
(a) They get in frequent accidents.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) They move very quickly.
(d) It is hard to get out of their way.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wakes up the men when they oversleep on the first day of their journey?
2. Who initially attempts to take charge of deciding what to bring on the trip?
3. Who starts teasing the men as they get their luggage ready to go?
4. How do the men ultimately get the train they need?
5. What vice are the main characters doing when the novel opens?
This section contains 504 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)