|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, how many pages is the letter that Lil's has written to Fenno?
2. What did Mal wear when Fenno first met Mal's mother?
3. How long did the dog Mavis live?
4. What does Tony fix for dinner at the beginning of Chapter 14?
5. In Chapter 11, how long had it been since Mal had given Felicity to Fenno?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tony serve Fern for dinner in Chapter 14?
2. In the more than ten years that Fern has known Tony, where has he lived?
3. How did Jonah die and how did Fern learn of his death?
4. What are David and Lil doing when Fenno goes to see them at the clinic in Chapter 10?
5. What does Fenno find in the attic in Chapter 12?
6. How does Fenno describe Mal's mother in Chapter 9?
7. In Chapter 11, why do David and Fenno go through the trash from the dinner that was held after Paul's memorial service?
8. Who is Stavros?
9. What happened to Mal in Chapter 12 when Fenno went to Paris?
10. How does Tony leave a place that he has borrowed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fern, Tony, Fenno, Dennis, and Richard discuss motherhood in the last section of the book. Do they have a shared definition of what motherhood is? How does the way that each person was raised affect his/her view of motherhood? How did the mothers who raised these people affect their children's lives and the people their children became?
Essay Topic 2
The author said that love depends “upon an ecosystem, a context.” What is meant by that phrase? In what ways is the delicacy of love revealed in the novel? Is love still attainable in spite of its fragility?
Essay Topic 3
David and Lillian ask Fenno to be a sperm donor. How does the request affect Fenno’s relationship with his brother and his wife? How does the request affect Fenno’s outlook on life?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)