|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 14, how long has Fern known Tony?
2. Where were Mal's ashes spread?
3. In Chapter 13 when Fenno attended the gala benefit with Lucinda, what did he order to drink?
4. In Chapter 9, how long had it been since Fenno and Mal visited Arran?
5. Who was with Mal when he died?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Fenno come to the house where Tony and Fern are staying in Chapter 15?
2. In Chapter 11, why do David and Fenno go through the trash from the dinner that was held after Paul's memorial service?
3. Why did Fenno go to Paris in Chapter 12?
4. Who is Stavros?
5. What happened to Mal in Chapter 12 when Fenno went to Paris?
6. What does the neighbor look like when she brings a few goodies in Chapter 15?
7. What does Tony serve Fern for dinner in Chapter 14?
8. How does Fenno describe Mal's mother in Chapter 9?
9. What does Fenno find in the attic in Chapter 12?
10. How did Jonah die and how did Fern learn of his death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Glass uses third-person and first-person points of view in the novel. How does the change in points of view advance the plot? Why can the story not be told as effectively with just one point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Paul travels to Greece, and Fenno makes trips to Scotland. In what ways are these trips more than physical journeys? How do these journeys affect the men, their personalities, their character, and how they feel about themselves?
Essay Topic 3
Paul’s ashes disappear. What controversy is there about the ashes and their disposal? What does the disappearance of the ashes symbolize?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)