|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Lucinda and Zeke live while he finished his degree?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 13, why could Mal's sister not come to visit?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how long did visitors usually stay who came to see Mal?
4. What had Mal's presence been for Fenno as Fenno's mother was dealing with her cancer?
5. In Chapter 14, where has Stavros spent the last three months?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Mal spend his time doing at the beginning of Chapter 13?
2. In Chapter 10, how were the readings at the bookstore?
3. In Chapter 11, why did Tony not let Fenno know that he was leaving?
4. What does Tony serve Fern for dinner in Chapter 14?
5. Why did Fenno go to Paris in Chapter 12?
6. How did Felicity respond when Fenno took her to Mal's in Chapter 13?
7. What does the neighbor look like when she brings a few goodies in Chapter 15?
8. Who is Stavros?
9. What does Fenno find in the attic in Chapter 12?
10. What has Fern learned about Tony throughout the years she has known him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fern and Fenno reach New York at the end of the novel. How does Fern think that a trip through the Midtown Tunnel makes it difficult to know where you will emerge? How does that relate to Fern’s view of life? In what way do the twists and turns of life, like the tunnel, always take people where they intended to be?
Essay Topic 2
Fenno discovers that having family makes life worthwhile. When does Fenno begin to realize the importance of family? How does this realization affect him? In what ways does it change him and the way he lives life?
Essay Topic 3
Fenno compares his life to a Joseph Cornell box. In what ways is Fenno’s life compartmentalized like one of those boxes? Why does Fenno keep the sections of his life separate? How does he learn to break out of the compartments of his life?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)