|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 13, how long did visitors usually stay who came to see Mal?
2. What is the name of the pony that David and Lil are treating when Fenno visits David's clinic in Chapter 10?
3. How old is Tony in Chapter 14?
4. How many attended Maureen's graveside rites?
5. In Chapter 14, where has Stavros spent the last three months?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 11, why did Tony not let Fenno know that he was leaving?
2. What photos does Lucinda show after dinner in Chapter 9 and what is her relationship to the people in the photos?
3. How did Jonah die and how did Fern learn of his death?
4. What did Lucinda say about Mal as she rode home from the benefit with Fenno?
5. What does Fenno find in the attic in Chapter 12?
6. How did Felicity respond when Fenno took her to Mal's in Chapter 13?
7. What does Tony serve Fern for dinner in Chapter 14?
8. Why did Mal retire?
9. In Chapter 13, where did Fenno go with Lucinda on a Friday evening?
10. How does Tony leave a place that he has borrowed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fern, Tony, Fenno, Dennis, and Richard discuss motherhood in the last section of the book. Do they have a shared definition of what motherhood is? How does the way that each person was raised affect his/her view of motherhood? How did the mothers who raised these people affect their children's lives and the people their children became?
Essay Topic 2
Fern’s friend Anna does not believe in fate, but destiny. What is the difference between fate and destiny? How does the author show that people are in charge of their lives, and that their choices lead them to the lives they are meant to have, rather than being at the mercy of fate?
Essay Topic 3
Fern fears telling Stavros about her pregnancy. Does she have reason to be afraid to tell Stavros about the pregnancy? How is his love different than what Fern had experienced previously? What does her fear have to do with her view of love?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)