|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Paul's wife used to ship collies?
2. What design was on the formal china that Fenno's mother selected when she got married?
3. In Chapter 3, what color shirt does Paul wear that he washed by hand the night before?
4. What did Fenno fetch to drink when he opened a folio of Audubon prints that his mother had sent him?
5. In Chapter 5, when does Dennis say that he visited his dad in Greece?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who was Colin Swift?
2. What are Fenno's nieces trying to do to him when he wakes at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. How does Fenno help Veronique at the beginning of Chapter 7?
4. What is found in an old vase in Chapter 6?
5. What do Veronique and her daughters wear for Paul's funeral?
6. What is the favorite piece that Marjorie buys on the trip to Greece?
7. How did Ralph and Fenno happen to find Armand dead at one of his bistro tables?
8. What does Paul do for a living, and how does he like his job?
9. How and where does Paul die?
10. What was a major expenditure in furnishing the bookstore, and why was it a wise investment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fern fears telling Stavros about her pregnancy. Does she have reason to be afraid to tell Stavros about the pregnancy? How is his love different than what Fern had experienced previously? What does her fear have to do with her view of love?
Essay Topic 2
Fern, Tony, Fenno, Dennis, and Richard discuss motherhood in the last section of the book. Do they have a shared definition of what motherhood is? How does the way that each person was raised affect his/her view of motherhood? How did the mothers who raised these people affect their children's lives and the people their children became?
Essay Topic 3
Happiness is important for Paul and for Fenno. How are the two men looking for happiness? Do either man achieve happiness? If so, how do they attain it?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)