|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many acres did Colin Swift own?
2. How old is Paul when he dies?
3. What color hair did Paul's wife have?
4. How many dogs were left after Paul's wife died?
5. Where does Paul's son Fenno live?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Maureen kill two puppies in Chapter 2?
2. What was a major expenditure in furnishing the bookstore, and why was it a wise investment?
3. What is the favorite piece that Marjorie buys on the trip to Greece?
4. What is Dennis's family like?
5. What are some sketches that Fern shows Paul?
6. What is found in an old vase in Chapter 6?
7. What other option did Fenno have instead of opening the bookstore with Ralph?
8. What do Veronique and her daughters wear for Paul's funeral?
9. How does Fenno help Veronique at the beginning of Chapter 7?
10. Who was Colin Swift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Paul’s ashes disappear. What controversy is there about the ashes and their disposal? What does the disappearance of the ashes symbolize?
Essay Topic 2
The author said that love depends “upon an ecosystem, a context.” What is meant by that phrase? In what ways is the delicacy of love revealed in the novel? Is love still attainable in spite of its fragility?
Essay Topic 3
Fern, Tony, Fenno, Dennis, and Richard discuss motherhood in the last section of the book. Do they have a shared definition of what motherhood is? How does the way that each person was raised affect his/her view of motherhood? How did the mothers who raised these people affect their children's lives and the people their children became?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)