|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the dog that Fenno wanted to take home after his mother died?
2. Which of Fenno's friends yanked the mediport out of his chest when he was dying of complications of AIDS?
3. Where did Paul's wife used to ship collies?
4. What did Fenno buy when Armand's sister sold his belongings?
5. What is painted inside the ceramic bowl that Marjorie buys?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Dennis's family like?
2. How and where does Paul die?
3. How did Ralph and Fenno happen to find Armand dead at one of his bistro tables?
4. What is the favorite piece that Marjorie buys on the trip to Greece?
5. Who was Malachy Burns?
6. How was the bookstore doing a year and a half after Ralph and Fenno opened the shop?
7. How long were Paul and Maureen married before they had children, and why did it take so long?
8. Why does Paul choose to go to Greece?
9. Where did Paul meet his wife?
10. How many dogs were left after Maureen died, and what happened to them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fenno and Fern know how easily love can be lost. How do their past experiences with love color their view of love? Do they ever give up on desiring love? How do they finally find love?
Essay Topic 2
Fern and Fenno reach New York at the end of the novel. How does Fern think that a trip through the Midtown Tunnel makes it difficult to know where you will emerge? How does that relate to Fern’s view of life? In what way do the twists and turns of life, like the tunnel, always take people where they intended to be?
Essay Topic 3
David and Lillian ask Fenno to be a sperm donor. How does the request affect Fenno’s relationship with his brother and his wife? How does the request affect Fenno’s outlook on life?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)