|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color hair did Paul's wife have?
2. Where does Paul's son Fenno live?
3. What month did Fenno's bookstore open?
4. How old was the dog that Fenno wanted to take home after his mother died?
5. In Chapter 3, what color shirt does Paul wear that he washed by hand the night before?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Paul do for a living, and how does he like his job?
2. Who was Malachy Burns?
3. Why did Mal ask Fenno to be his health proxy?
4. What other option did Fenno have instead of opening the bookstore with Ralph?
5. How long were Paul and Maureen married before they had children, and why did it take so long?
6. How many dogs were left after Maureen died, and what happened to them?
7. What is found in an old vase in Chapter 6?
8. What does Fenno say about his mother's death in Chapter 4?
9. Who was Tony Best?
10. What is inside the envelope that Fenno finds addressed to him in his father's desk?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fern, Tony, Fenno, Dennis, and Richard discuss motherhood in the last section of the book. Do they have a shared definition of what motherhood is? How does the way that each person was raised affect his/her view of motherhood? How did the mothers who raised these people affect their children's lives and the people their children became?
Essay Topic 2
Fern fears telling Stavros about her pregnancy. Does she have reason to be afraid to tell Stavros about the pregnancy? How is his love different than what Fern had experienced previously? What does her fear have to do with her view of love?
Essay Topic 3
Glass uses third-person and first-person points of view in the novel. How does the change in points of view advance the plot? Why can the story not be told as effectively with just one point of view?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)