|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following characters believes he has squandered close-range shots when he comes face-to-face with Old Ben?
2. After leaving the Red Cross boat, what body of water do the convict and the refugee walk along?
3. How much money does Ike want to give to Fonsiba when he finds her?
4. What does Ike do for a living now that he has turned down his inheritance?
5. What was the name of the war that ended slavery in the South?
Essay Topic 1
Much of the story of the "Spotted Horses" is about trust. First, describe the trust the farmers of Texas have for the entrepreneur that comes into their town. Then, describe whether or not the entrepreneur deserved the trust of the farmers. Be sure to give at least two examples from the text that you believe strengthen your argument.
Essay Topic 2
The story "The Bear" is a coming-of-age story about a boy growing up physically, emotionally, and spiritually. Which of these three themes do you think is most present in the boy's story? Choose one of these maturities and create a time line for its growth. What message do you think Faulkner is sending to his audience about maturity? What lessons do you think the young boy learned throughout his coming-of-age? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "The Old Man", the tall convict is faced with the idea of freedom for the first time in eight years during the flood. First, explain the tall convict's reaction to the idea of freedom. How does the convict's relationship to freedom and the outside, "normal" world fuel his actions throughout the story. How do these actions give the reader deeper insight into the tall convict's view of himself and of his crimes? Be sure to include at least two examples from the text that you believe help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 2,037 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)