|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the convict react when he hears he must return to prison, this time with an extended sentence?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is pleased.
(d) He is outraged.
2. After leaving the Red Cross boat, what body of water do the convict and the refugee walk along?
(a) The Saint Louis Delta.
(b) The Louisiana Bayou.
(c) The Plaster Creek.
(d) The Mississippi River.
3. How old is the young boy at the opening of the story "The Bear"?
(a) 3 years old.
(b) 9 years old.
(c) 5 years old.
(d) 7 years old.
4. Where does Lion sleep at night?
(a) In the open, under the stars.
(b) In his own private bedroom.
(c) In a cage with the other hunting dogs.
(d) In Boon's bed.
5. To whom is the land sold on which the hunting camp stands?
(a) To scientists.
(b) To environmentalists.
(c) To contractors.
(d) To loggers.
6. Which of the following crimes is Ike's grandfather guilty of committing?
7. How old must the young boy be before he will be allowed to go hunting with the men?
(a) 12 years old.
(b) 14 years old.
(c) 16 years old.
(d) 10 years old.
8. Who finally sells the land on which the hunting camp is located?
(b) Major de Spain.
9. How does the young boy feel about Boon?
(a) He is entertained by him.
(b) He admires him.
(c) He is afraid of him.
(d) He does not respect him.
10. Who steals the gold coins that were promised to Ike in his inheritance?
(a) His father.
(b) His nephew.
(c) His uncle.
(d) His cousin.
11. How do the convict and the Cajun man communicate?
(a) Through words.
(b) The pair do not communicate.
(c) Through gestures.
(d) Through drawings.
12. After leaving the hut, where does the convict resettle?
(a) In an old grain house.
(b) In an old elementary school.
(c) In an old mental hospital.
(d) In an old armory.
13. How does Old Ben react when the young boy falls upon him in the bushes?
(a) Old Ben is apathetic.
(b) Old Ben is amused.
(c) Old Ben is outraged.
(d) Old Ben is terrified.
14. What type of animal is Boon hunting when Ike falls upon him under the tree?
15. Which of the following characters does Ike NOT visit with when he rides through the woods for the last time?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the dog, Lion, belong to?
2. What type of animal does the Cajun man like to hunt?
3. Why does the tall convict consider escaping prison for the first time in his life?
4. What is the young boy's real name?
5. What does Ike claim has been the curse of the South?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)