|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sam believe that Ben will be the new target of Old Ben?
(a) Because the boy is clever.
(b) Because the boy is young.
(c) Because the boy is weak.
(d) Because the boy is brave.
2. Whose job is it to bury the body of Old Ben?
(a) The bear's body is not buried.
(b) The young boy.
(d) Major de Spain.
3. What do the hunters catch on the boy's first hunting trip into the woods?
(b) A fox.
(c) A raccoon.
(d) A bear.
4. What animal did Ash encounter in the woods the first time he went hunting on his own?
(a) A bear.
(b) A deer.
(c) A fox.
(d) A panther.
5. Where is the fatal wound that strikes down Old Ben?
(a) His heart.
(b) His back.
(c) His head.
(d) His stomach.
6. Why is the tall convict no longer required to serve the rest of his sentence from before the flood?
(a) Because he was declared legally dead.
(b) Because he has completed his duty by saving the refugee.
(c) Because he was absolved by the governor.
(d) Because the fat convict has taken on the rest of his sentence.
7. What effect does Ike believe the Emancipation Proclamation had on race relations in the South?
(a) He thinks the Proclamation made race relations worse.
(b) He thinks the Proclamation made race relations better.
(c) He thinks the Proclamation had no effect on race relations.
(d) Ike does not discuss the Proclamation in his rant about race relations.
8. Where are hunting dogs kept while they are being broken in training?
(a) In a burlap sack.
(b) In a cage.
(c) In a shed.
(d) In a box.
9. After a boy kills his first deer in the woods, what does the boy traditionally do with that deer's blood?
(a) Smears it on his face.
(b) Drains it into the river.
(c) Drinks it.
(d) Bottles it.
10. While Ike is riding through the woods, what machinery does he hear in the distance?
(a) A helicopter.
(b) A train.
(c) An automobile.
(d) A chainsaw.
11. What type of animal is Old Ben?
(a) A fox.
(b) A panther.
(c) A bear.
(d) A coyote.
12. How old is the young boy at the opening of the story "The Bear"?
(a) 5 years old.
(b) 3 years old.
(c) 9 years old.
(d) 7 years old.
13. Which beverage do the hunters drink when they are bored during their hunting trips?
14. At the time when most Americans settled their land, from where did they transport most of their slaves?
(c) South America.
15. What does Ike do for a living now that he has turned down his inheritance?
(a) He is blacksmith.
(b) He is a carpenter.
(c) He is a teacher.
(d) He is a bartender.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following facts about Sam is NOT true?
2. How does Old Ben react when the young boy falls upon him in the bushes?
3. In what type of surface is Sam found lying face-down, unconscious after the battle with Old Ben?
4. How long does Sam cling to life before he finally dies?
5. In what state does Ike's cousin, Fonsiba, live?
This section contains 540 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)