|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following characters whittles wood in his spare time?
2. Who does Ratcliff claim was the rightful owner of all the wild horses before the stampede?
(a) No one.
3. How do the police officers in Louisiana react when the convict attempts to turn himself in?
(a) They ignore him.
(b) They shoot at him.
(c) They laugh at him.
(d) They embrace him.
4. How does Eck feel about the verdict handed down to him by the judge in his case against Tull?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is dissatisfied.
(d) He is satisfied.
5. How much does Eck bid on the first horse in the auction?
(a) Five dollars.
(b) Two dollars.
(c) Eleven dollars.
(d) Eight dollars.
6. What state is Buck Hipps from?
7. What does Hipps use to restrain the wild horses while he is transporting them to the auction?
(a) He does not restrain them.
(b) Barbed wire.
(c) Rope and twine.
(d) Wood beams.
8. What part of Hipps' clothing outfit is split in half by a wild horse during the auction?
(a) His hat.
(b) His shoe.
(c) His vest.
(d) His pants.
9. What is Eck's expectation when he enters the court to defend himself against Tull?
(a) He has no expectations about the case.
(b) That he will lose the case.
(c) That there will be no decision in the case.
(d) That he will win the case.
10. Which of the following characters states that, "If a man can't take care of himself in a trade, he can't blame the man that trims him"?
11. To whose home is Henry taken to recover from his injuries, due to the wild horses?
(a) Mrs. Littlejohn's.
(b) Flem Snopes'.
(c) Doctor Varner's.
(d) Eck Snopes'.
12. What is Hipps' response to the heckler who shouts that Hipps is trying to scam the town?
(a) He punches him in the mouth.
(b) He shouts back, causing a scene.
(c) He ignores him.
(d) He leaves the city.
13. How many people did the tall convict kill during his robbery?
14. What does the fat convict claim he grabbed onto in order to save himself when his boat overturned?
(a) A sharp jag of rock.
(b) A fistful of flowers.
(c) A low-hanging branch.
(d) A rope.
15. In which case does the judge cite an obscure law in which, "the ownership of a commodity is not transferred unless there is the exchange of some money"?
(a) In the case against Snopes.
(b) In the case against Varner.
(c) In the case against Eck.
(d) In the case against Tull.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Littlejohn hit the wild horse over the head with, sending it running back into the streets?
2. To whom is the tall convict narrating the story of what happened to him during the weeks he was away from prison?
3. What color are the uniforms the group of men in Louisiana are wearing, leading the convict to believe they are police officers?
4. What changes the judge's mind about how much money Eck owes Tull for his damages?
5. According to the court, who is entitled to the body of Eck's dead horse?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)