|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the court, who is entitled to the body of Eck's dead horse?
2. What was the fat convict convicted of stealing?
(a) A car.
(b) A painting.
(c) A wallet.
(d) A loaf of bread.
3. Why does Doctor Varner still believe the horses were a good purchase, even though they all got away?
(a) Because they provided good exercise for their owners.
(b) Because they taught the farmers a financial lesson.
(c) Because they brought him business.
(d) Because they provided a good laugh.
4. Which of the following events does NOT occur when Eck's wild horse meets Tull's wagon on the street?
(a) Tull's son wrestles the horse to the ground.
(b) Tull is severely injured.
(c) Tull's wife is frightenend.
(d) Tull's wagon is seriously damaged.
5. What does the fat convict claim he grabbed onto in order to save himself when his boat overturned?
(a) A low-hanging branch.
(b) A sharp jag of rock.
(c) A rope.
(d) A fistful of flowers.
6. What is Hipps' response to the heckler who shouts that Hipps is trying to scam the town?
(a) He ignores him.
(b) He punches him in the mouth.
(c) He shouts back, causing a scene.
(d) He leaves the city.
7. Which of the following Snopes men is constantly compared to an animal?
(a) IO Snopes.
(b) Flem Snopes.
(c) Ad Snopes.
(d) Eck Snopes.
8. In which case does the judge cite an obscure law in which, "the ownership of a commodity is not transferred unless there is the exchange of some money"?
(a) In the case against Snopes.
(b) In the case against Eck.
(c) In the case against Tull.
(d) In the case against Varner.
9. Who does Snopes say has Henry's wife money, which is why he cannot return it to her?
10. Which of the following families is considered the most dishonest family in Mississippi by the townsfolk?
(a) The Hipps.
(b) The Tull.
(c) The Snopses.
(d) The Armstids.
11. How old was the tall convict when he was first sent to prison?
(a) 17 years old.
(b) 23 years old.
(c) 21 years old.
(d) 19 years old.
12. When the convict and the refugee pass the first boat on the river, what is the gruff man aboard the boat holding in his hands?
(a) A lantern.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A shotgun.
(d) A litter of puppies.
13. To whom is the tall convict narrating the story of what happened to him during the weeks he was away from prison?
(a) His diary.
(b) The fat convict.
(c) His mother.
(d) The warden.
14. What is the name of the law that prohibits a man from transporting a woman across state lines?
(a) The Chattel Act.
(b) The Freedom Act.
(c) The Marriage Act.
(d) The Mann Act.
15. In what state does Hipps try to sell his wild horses?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hipp use to cover up the wound he receives wrangling horses?
2. How much is the gift worth that Snopes gives to Henry's wife?
3. Which of the following beverages does the doctor aboard the steamboat urge the convict to drink?
4. How does Tull feel about the verdict handed down by the judge regarding his case against Eck?
5. What gift does Snopes give to Henry's wife as a peace offering?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)