|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people did the tall convict kill during his robbery?
2. Who does Ratcliff claim is directly responsible for the damages the Tull family incurred as a result of the wild horse stampede?
3. What is the name of the law that prohibits a man from transporting a woman across state lines?
(a) The Mann Act.
(b) The Marriage Act.
(c) The Chattel Act.
(d) The Freedom Act.
4. What food item is the pregnant refugee given, which disturbs the convict?
(a) A head of cheese.
(b) A loaf of bread.
(c) A tin of milk.
(d) A basket of eggs.
5. How does Hipps transport the horses to Mississippi?
(a) By foot.
(b) By airplane.
(c) By train.
(d) By wagon.
6. Why does Doctor Varner still believe the horses were a good purchase, even though they all got away?
(a) Because they provided good exercise for their owners.
(b) Because they brought him business.
(c) Because they provided a good laugh.
(d) Because they taught the farmers a financial lesson.
7. Where do the wild horses cut Hipp during a fight?
(a) His hand.
(b) His shin.
(c) His ear.
(d) His shoulder.
8. How much money does Henry have to his name at the time he purchases his horse?
(a) 5 dollars.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 5000 dollars.
(d) 500 dollars.
9. What state is Buck Hipps from?
10. What type of landscape do the prisoners live and work in?
(a) A desert.
(b) A mountain.
(c) A swamp.
(d) A plantation.
11. Who or what does the tall convict blame for motivating him in crime?
(b) The devil.
(c) Comic books.
(d) His parents.
12. How are the prisoners transported from their prison to the army camp where they will be staying during the course of the flood?
(a) By foot.
(b) By car.
(c) By train.
(d) By airplane.
13. What color is the cross on the flag that the convict and the refugee board once they leave their island?
14. What sound does the tall convict hear that startles him as he is moving through the camp?
(a) The silence of nature.
(b) The rocks tumbling down the mountain.
(c) The wind blowing through the trees.
(d) The rushing river.
15. How long has the tall convict been incarcerated at the opening of the story?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 12 years.
(d) 10 years.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much money is Flem Snopes ordered to pay back to the Armstid family?
2. To whom is the tall convict narrating the story of what happened to him during the weeks he was away from prison?
3. Which of the following adjectives does Hipps use to describe the temperament of his wild horses?
4. How does the judge in the Armstid case treat Flem Snopes?
5. Which of the following characters is trampled in the wild horse stampede as the farmers attempt to wrangle them after the auction?
This section contains 496 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)