|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
2. What is the name of the lodge Rayber takes Francis to during their one-on-one fishing trip?
3. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
4. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
5. How old is Francis when Mason Tarwater dies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francis' initial reaction when he meets his cousin, Bishop?
2. How was Mason Tarwater buried?
3. How did George Rayber come to live with his uncle, Mason?
4. What events lead up to Francis vomiting in a lake?
5. How did Francis Tarwater come to live with his great-uncle Mason?
6. How does Francis prove his difficult nature to Rayber after moving in with him?
7. Why does Rayber agree to take Francis in and take care of him?
8. What type of interaction does Francis have with the first truck driver that picks him up from the side of the road?
9. How did George Rayber go deaf?
10. What conversation does Francis have with Meeks right after Mason dies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At the end of the novel, it becomes clear that Mason Tarwater and George Rayber are both interested in Francis' redemption. First, describe what these two father-figures consider redemption to be. What do each of these men believe Francis needs to be redeemed from? Do you agree with them? Why or why not? Then, explain how each of these men attempted to inculcate their ideas into young Tarwater. Were they successful? Why or why not? Then, describe Francis' redemption process. At the end of the novel, do you think Francis is redeemed for the sins he committed in childhood? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout his life, Francis has two main father figures: Mason and Rayber. First, describe what happened to Francis' real father. Why did he come to believe himself to be an orphan? Then, compare / contrast both Mason and Rayber as father figures. What is the same about their parenting styles? What is different? How did each of these men influence young Francis' life? Finally, explain what message you think Flannery O'Connor is trying to give her audience about fatherhood. What does O'Connor believe the characteristics of a good father are? How can you tell? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
In the story "Revelation", Mrs. Turpin's favorite past time is organizing groups of people into a hierarchy. First, describe the hierarchy that Mrs. Turpin creates when she is sitting in the doctor's office with Claud. Who is at the top of this ladder? Who is at the bottom? Then, compare / contrast this hierarchy to the hierarchy Mrs. Turpin sees in her final revelation. Who is at the top of this ladder? Who is at the bottom? Finally, describe Mrs. Turpin's emotional reaction to her revelation of Heaven. How do you think this revelation will change the way Mrs. Turpin views the world and the people in it? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)