|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
2. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
3. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
4. How does Francis react when Rayber tells him that he considered drowning Bishop when he was born?
5. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mason Tarwater buried?
2. What type of interaction does Francis have with the second driver that picks him up from the side of the road?
3. Why was Mason Tarwater admitted into a mental institution, and how did he get out?
4. How does Bishop die?
5. Why does Rayber agree to take Francis in and take care of him?
6. How did George Rayber come to live with his uncle, Mason?
7. Who is Francis' "stranger" who is later referred to as his "friend"?
8. How did Francis Tarwater come to live with his great-uncle Mason?
9. Why does Francis fear having to bury his uncle at the opening of the story,"The Violent Bear it Away"?
10. What type of interaction does Francis have with the first truck driver that picks him up from the side of the road?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his adult life, Mason Tarwater often tried to communicate with Rayber, whom he considered to be his lost son. One of the methods through which Mason communicated with Rayber was through a journal. Why did Mason start writing in Rayber's journal in the first place? What was Rayber's reaction to the journal when it was unearthed? Finally, explain what you think the meaning of the message, "The prophet I will raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean," which Mason wrote to Rayber about Francis. Did the old man's promise ever come true? Does Tarwater ever open Rayber's eyes? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The hat Julian's mother wears is one of great significance in the story "Everything that Rises Must Converge." First, describe Julian's mother's hat and describe her relationship to it. Why is this hat important to her? Then, describe what Julian thinks of his mother's hat and what his reaction is when he realizes the black woman on the bus is wearing an identical one. How does the hat become a symbol not for segregation, as Julian's mother intended, but for equality? What message do you think O'Connor is sending her readers about racial equality through the symbol of the hat? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
When she is getting read to disembark the bus in the story "Everything that Rises Must Converge," Julian's mother attempts to give young Carver a penny, much to the rage of his mother. First, explain why Julian's mother hoped to give young Carver a penny. Then, describe Carver's mother's reaction to the gift. Why did she react so violently? Do you think Carver's mother overreacted to the gift? Why or why not? Finally, explain how Carver's mother's reaction echoes the anger and promises of the growing civil rights movement from the time. Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)