|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Watts do for a living?
2. How does Motes feel when Mrs. Wally Bee Hitchcock starts a conversation with him?
3. How old was Hazel Motes when he was drafted into the army?
4. How long did Hazel Motes spend in the military before returning home?
5. What did Motes' grandfather do for a living when he was still alive?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gongo the Gorilla?
2. What does fellow street preacher Hoover Shoats do that affects the following in Moats' congregation?
3. What state is Motes' house in when he returns home from the army?
4. From where does Motes purchase his new car?
5. Who is Mrs. Watts?
6. How does Emory get his revenge on Gongo the Gorilla?
7. How does Solace Layfield die?
8. What is Motes' first impression of Enoch Emory?
9. What is the aftermath of Layfield's death on Moat's life?
10. Who is Asa Hawks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout his adult life, Mason Tarwater often tried to communicate with Rayber, whom he considered to be his lost son. One of the methods through which Mason communicated with Rayber was through a journal. Why did Mason start writing in Rayber's journal in the first place? What was Rayber's reaction to the journal when it was unearthed? Finally, explain what you think the meaning of the message, "The prophet I will raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean," which Mason wrote to Rayber about Francis. Did the old man's promise ever come true? Does Tarwater ever open Rayber's eyes? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text to strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
In the story "Revelation", Mrs. Turpin's favorite past time is organizing groups of people into a hierarchy. First, describe the hierarchy that Mrs. Turpin creates when she is sitting in the doctor's office with Claud. Who is at the top of this ladder? Who is at the bottom? Then, compare / contrast this hierarchy to the hierarchy Mrs. Turpin sees in her final revelation. Who is at the top of this ladder? Who is at the bottom? Finally, describe Mrs. Turpin's emotional reaction to her revelation of Heaven. How do you think this revelation will change the way Mrs. Turpin views the world and the people in it? Be sure to include examples from the text to help strengthen your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, it becomes clear that Mason Tarwater and George Rayber are both interested in Francis' redemption. First, describe what these two father-figures consider redemption to be. What do each of these men believe Francis needs to be redeemed from? Do you agree with them? Why or why not? Then, explain how each of these men attempted to inculcate their ideas into young Tarwater. Were they successful? Why or why not? Then, describe Francis' redemption process. At the end of the novel, do you think Francis is redeemed for the sins he committed in childhood? Why or why not? Be sure to include examples from the text that you believe help to strengthen your arguments.
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)