|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is his son.
(b) That Francis is an orphan.
(c) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
(d) That Francis is a prophet.
2. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
(a) A knife.
(b) A gun.
(c) A slingshot.
(d) A rock.
3. What does Meeks sell for a living?
4. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(d) Rye beer.
5. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
(a) George Rayber.
(b) Mason Tarwater.
(c) All of the above.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis dream about when he falls asleep in the truck driver's cab on his way back to the farm?
2. How does Francis react to Rayber's offer to let him baptize Bishop?
3. How old was Mason Tarwater when he died?
4. Who claims that Rayber's ears are "deaf to the Holy word"?
5. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation does Francis have with Meeks right after Mason dies?
2. Why does Francis fear having to bury his uncle at the opening of the story,"The Violent Bear it Away"?
3. What events lead up to Francis vomiting in a lake?
4. Why does Rayber agree to take Francis in and take care of him?
5. How does Francis prove his difficult nature to Rayber after moving in with him?
6. How did Francis Tarwater come to live with his great-uncle Mason?
7. How does Bishop die?
8. How does Francis rebel against Mason after his death?
9. How was Mason Tarwater buried?
10. What is Francis' reaction when he figures out that Rayber has followed him to the religious revival?
This section contains 1,011 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)