|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Francis arrives at Rayber's front door, what does he say happened to Mason's body?
(a) It disappeared.
(b) It fell into a well.
(c) It was burned.
(d) It was eaten by wild animals.
2. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
(a) They were married.
(b) They were siblings.
(c) They were not related.
(d) They were cousins.
3. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
(a) A gun.
(b) A knife.
(c) A rock.
(d) A slingshot.
4. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) In a cave in the mountains.
(b) On a fishing boat.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In the desert.
5. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
(a) Tending to his cotton fields.
(b) Reading a newspaper on the porch.
(c) Sleeping in his bed.
(d) At the breakfast table.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
2. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
3. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
4. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
5. Who buried Mason's body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Francis Tarwater come to live with his great-uncle Mason?
2. Why does Francis fear having to bury his uncle at the opening of the story,"The Violent Bear it Away"?
3. What event at the science museum jars Rayber into remembering his own religious childhood?
4. How was Mason Tarwater buried?
5. Why does Rayber agree to take Francis in and take care of him?
6. Who is Francis' "stranger" who is later referred to as his "friend"?
7. What is Francis' reaction when he figures out that Rayber has followed him to the religious revival?
8. What events lead up to Francis vomiting in a lake?
9. How does Francis rebel against Mason after his death?
10. Who is Lucette, and what impact does she have on Rayber when the meet?
This section contains 1,046 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)