|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a journalist.
(b) She was a hair stylist.
(c) She was a social worker.
(d) She was an actress.
2. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) In the desert.
(b) In a corn field.
(c) On a fishing boat.
(d) In a cave in the mountains.
3. How long did Mason Tarwater spend in the mental institution before his release?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 16 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 4 years.
4. What part of Rayber's body was irrevocably damaged during his altercation with Mason about Francis' kidnapping?
(a) His hands.
(b) His ears.
(c) His legs.
(d) His eyes.
5. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
(a) To fund a militia.
(b) To pay for her surgery.
(c) To pay for Mason's funeral.
(d) For missionary work.
6. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is apathetic.
7. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
(a) Sleeping in his bed.
(b) Reading a newspaper on the porch.
(c) Tending to his cotton fields.
(d) At the breakfast table.
8. Why did Mason try to kidnap Reyber's son, Bishop?
(a) To worship him.
(b) To sacrifice him.
(c) All of the above.
(d) To baptize him.
9. Which of the following descriptions of the man who attacks Francis in the woods is NOT true?
(a) He doesn't wear shoes.
(b) He drives a lavender-colored car.
(c) He drinks whiskey.
(d) He wears a Panama hat.
10. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
(a) His father.
(b) His mother.
(c) His brother.
(d) His sister.
11. What food item does the first truck driver give to Francis before dropping him off at the side of the road?
(a) An orange.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A cookie.
(d) An ice cream bar.
12. What does Francis set fire to before returning to the city?
(a) The woods.
(b) The house.
(c) His clothes.
(d) Mason's body.
13. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Francis' behavior while he is living with Rayber?
14. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His hat.
(c) His faith.
(d) His parents.
15. What does Meeks sell for a living?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
2. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
3. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
4. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
5. To what animal does Francis compare Rayber's son, Bishop?
This section contains 482 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)