|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Rayber's wife leave him?
(a) Because she fell in love with someone else.
(b) Because she joined the circus.
(c) Beacuse she couldn't cope with their son's disability.
(d) Because Rayber abused her.
2. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
(a) Because he thinks the boy is dead.
(b) Because he thinks the boy stole his alcohol.
(c) To protect him from the dogs.
(d) To teach him a lesson about drinking.
3. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Francis' behavior while he is living with Rayber?
4. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
(a) To pay for her surgery.
(b) To pay for Mason's funeral.
(c) To fund a militia.
(d) For missionary work.
5. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
(a) Three days.
(b) One day.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
6. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
7. What part of Rayber's body was irrevocably damaged during his altercation with Mason about Francis' kidnapping?
(a) His hands.
(b) His ears.
(c) His legs.
(d) His eyes.
8. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
(a) Francis Tarwater.
(b) George Rayber.
(c) Mason Tarwater.
(d) All of the above.
9. Where does the first truck driver tell Francis he belongs when he drops him off at the side of the road?
(a) The Booby Hatch.
(b) The Crazy Shack.
(c) The Nut House.
(d) The Loonie Bin.
10. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a journalist.
(b) She was a hair stylist.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a social worker.
11. Which of the following Biblical stories does Francis think about after his sexual assault?
(a) Leading the lamb to the slaughter.
(b) Feeding the multitude with bread and fish.
(c) Jonah being swallowed into the belly of a whale.
(d) The creation of man and animals.
12. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
(a) His faith.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His parents.
(d) His hat.
13. In what state did Mason Tarwater live?
14. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(d) Rye beer.
15. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is angry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
2. How does the man who attacks Francis slip him drugs?
3. What does Francis set fire to before returning to the city?
4. In what type of establishment did Mason live when he was not in the mental institution?
5. How old is Francis when Mason Tarwater dies?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)