|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis react when Mason brings him new, clean clothes to wear?
(a) He is confused about how to wear them?
(b) He refuses to try them on.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He sets them on fire.
2. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
(a) To pay for Mason's funeral.
(b) To pay for her surgery.
(c) For missionary work.
(d) To fund a militia.
3. Which of the following activities does Francis refuse to do while he is living with Rayber?
4. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is confused.
5. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
(a) That she had abandoned him.
(b) That she was still alive.
(c) That she was a Satan worshipper.
(d) That she was a whore.
6. How old was George Rayber when Mason kidnapped him?
(a) He was a toddler.
(b) He was an infant.
(c) He was a teenager.
(d) He was a child.
7. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
(a) His mother's spirit.
(b) The devil.
(c) Uncle Mason.
8. What does Meeks sell for a living?
9. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
(a) They were not related.
(b) They were married.
(c) They were siblings.
(d) They were cousins.
10. Who buried Mason's body?
(a) Buford Munson.
(b) Mason's body was never recovered.
(c) George Rayber.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
11. How does Francis know that he has been sexually assaulted?
(a) His clothes are on backward.
(b) All of the above.
(c) His hands are tied together.
(d) He is in pain.
12. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) In a cave in the mountains.
(b) In the desert.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) On a fishing boat.
13. Where does Francis drown Bishop?
(a) In the dishwater.
(b) In the swimming pool.
(c) In the lake.
(d) In the bathtub.
14. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
(b) Because they don't recognize him.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
15. How does the man who attacks Francis slip him drugs?
(a) In his ice cream.
(b) In his cigarette.
(c) In his sandwich.
(d) In his drink.
Short Answer Questions
1. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
2. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
3. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
4. Which of the following Biblical stories does Francis think about after his sexual assault?
5. What does Rayber give Francis in case he should want to baptize Bishop over dinner?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)