|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a hair stylist.
(b) She was a social worker.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a journalist.
2. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
3. In what type of establishment did Mason live when he was not in the mental institution?
(a) A large house with a pool.
(b) An apartment complex.
(c) A farm.
(d) A hotel.
4. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
(a) To protect him from the dogs.
(b) To teach him a lesson about drinking.
(c) Because he thinks the boy stole his alcohol.
(d) Because he thinks the boy is dead.
5. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
(a) To pay for Mason's funeral.
(b) To fund a militia.
(c) For missionary work.
(d) To pay for her surgery.
6. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
(a) He is outraged.
(b) He is happy.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is apathetic.
7. Which of the following characters shouted these words: "The prophet I raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean!" ?
(a) Mason Tarwater.
(b) Francis Tarwater.
(c) Bernice Bishop.
(d) George Rayber.
8. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
(a) They were siblings.
(b) They were not related.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They were married.
9. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
(a) That she had abandoned him.
(b) That she was a whore.
(c) That she was a Satan worshipper.
(d) That she was still alive.
10. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Put him to sleep.
(b) Give him rest.
(c) Baptize him.
(d) Take care of him.
11. What is the name of the lodge Rayber takes Francis to during their one-on-one fishing trip?
(a) The Navajo Lodge.
(b) The Potawatame Lodge.
(c) The Cherokee Lodge.
(d) The Blackfoot Lodge.
12. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
(a) Francis Tarwater.
(b) All of the above.
(c) George Rayber.
(d) Mason Tarwater.
13. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is an orphan.
(b) That Francis is a prophet.
(c) That Francis is his son.
(d) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
14. How does Francis react when Rayber tells him that he considered drowning Bishop when he was born?
(a) He cries.
(b) He prays.
(c) He cheers.
(d) He vomits.
15. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
(a) Sleeping in his bed.
(b) At the breakfast table.
(c) Reading a newspaper on the porch.
(d) Tending to his cotton fields.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following Biblical stories does Francis think about after his sexual assault?
2. How does Francis know that he has been sexually assaulted?
3. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
4. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
5. Which of the following activities does Francis refuse to do while he is living with Rayber?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)