|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is shocked.
2. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is a prophet.
(b) That Francis is his son.
(c) That Francis is an orphan.
(d) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
3. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Francis' behavior while he is living with Rayber?
4. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
(a) Become a father.
(b) Become a school teacher.
(c) Become an astronaut.
(d) Become a prophet.
5. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is outraged.
6. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
(a) To teach him a lesson about drinking.
(b) Because he thinks the boy stole his alcohol.
(c) Because he thinks the boy is dead.
(d) To protect him from the dogs.
7. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
(a) That she was still alive.
(b) That she was a whore.
(c) That she was a Satan worshipper.
(d) That she had abandoned him.
8. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
(a) Three days.
(b) Two days.
(c) One day.
(d) Four days.
9. What does Rayber give Francis in case he should want to baptize Bishop over dinner?
(a) A bowl of water.
(b) A pot of water.
(c) A bottle of water.
(d) A glass of water.
10. What does Francis dream about when he falls asleep in the truck driver's cab on his way back to the farm?
(a) His uncle's corpse.
(b) Drowning Bishop.
(d) His mother's smile.
11. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
12. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
(a) A rock.
(b) A slingshot.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
13. What does Francis set fire to before returning to the city?
(a) The woods.
(b) Mason's body.
(c) The house.
(d) His clothes.
14. To what animal does Francis compare Rayber's son, Bishop?
(a) A canary.
(b) A dog.
(c) A gorilla.
(d) A ferret.
15. What food item does the first truck driver give to Francis before dropping him off at the side of the road?
(a) An orange.
(b) A sandwich.
(c) A cookie.
(d) An ice cream bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
2. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
3. How long did Mason Tarwater spend in the mental institution before his release?
4. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
5. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)