|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis know that he has been sexually assaulted?
(a) His clothes are on backward.
(b) All of the above.
(c) His hands are tied together.
(d) He is in pain.
2. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is terrified.
(c) He is relieved.
(d) He is angry.
3. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was an actress.
(b) She was a journalist.
(c) She was a social worker.
(d) She was a hair stylist.
4. Which of the following descriptions of the man who attacks Francis in the woods is NOT true?
(a) He drives a lavender-colored car.
(b) He doesn't wear shoes.
(c) He wears a Panama hat.
(d) He drinks whiskey.
5. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
(a) Reading a newspaper on the porch.
(b) Sleeping in his bed.
(c) Tending to his cotton fields.
(d) At the breakfast table.
6. What is Francis' first impression of Rayber?
(a) That he is a heathen.
(b) That he is a wimp.
(c) That he is a kind man.
(d) That he is a prophet.
7. To what animal does Francis compare Rayber's son, Bishop?
(a) A ferret.
(b) A canary.
(c) A dog.
(d) A gorilla.
8. What nickname does Rayber give to Francis during their fishing trip?
9. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
(b) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) Because they don't recognize him.
10. What part of Rayber's body was irrevocably damaged during his altercation with Mason about Francis' kidnapping?
(a) His eyes.
(b) His ears.
(c) His legs.
(d) His hands.
11. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
(a) Uncle Mason.
(c) His mother's spirit.
(d) The devil.
12. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is outraged.
(c) He is happy.
(d) He is apathetic.
13. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
14. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(d) Rye beer.
15. Where does Francis drown Bishop?
(a) In the dishwater.
(b) In the lake.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) In the swimming pool.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
2. When Francis arrives at Rayber's front door, what does he say happened to Mason's body?
3. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
4. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
5. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)