|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) In a corn field.
(b) In a cave in the mountains.
(c) In the desert.
(d) On a fishing boat.
2. According to Meeks, what does H.L.L stand for?
(a) Help Lead Love.
(b) Hard Lessons Learned.
(c) Heaven Listens Last.
(d) Hold Love Longingly.
3. Why did Rayber's wife leave him?
(a) Beacuse she couldn't cope with their son's disability.
(b) Because she fell in love with someone else.
(c) Because she joined the circus.
(d) Because Rayber abused her.
4. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
(a) Blackberry bushes.
(b) Strawberry bushes.
(c) Poison ivy bushes.
(d) Raspberry bushes.
5. How does the man who attacks Francis slip him drugs?
(a) In his drink.
(b) In his ice cream.
(c) In his sandwich.
(d) In his cigarette.
6. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Put him to sleep.
(b) Baptize him.
(c) Give him rest.
(d) Take care of him.
7. Where does Francis drown Bishop?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In the bathtub.
(c) In the dishwater.
(d) In the swimming pool.
8. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
(a) His parents.
(b) His wallet.
(c) His hat.
(d) His faith.
9. Which of the following Biblical stories does Francis think about after his sexual assault?
(a) Feeding the multitude with bread and fish.
(b) Leading the lamb to the slaughter.
(c) Jonah being swallowed into the belly of a whale.
(d) The creation of man and animals.
10. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(d) Rye beer.
11. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
(a) His mother's spirit.
(b) Uncle Mason.
(c) The devil.
12. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
(b) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) Because they don't recognize him.
13. How does Francis react to Rayber's offer to let him baptize Bishop?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is horrified.
(d) He is pleased.
14. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is his son.
(b) That Francis is a prophet.
(c) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
(d) That Francis is an orphan.
15. Which of the following characters shouted these words: "The prophet I raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean!" ?
(a) Bernice Bishop.
(b) Mason Tarwater.
(c) Francis Tarwater.
(d) George Rayber.
Short Answer Questions
1. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
2. What does Meeks sell for a living?
3. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
4. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
5. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)