|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) On a fishing boat.
(b) In a corn field.
(c) In a cave in the mountains.
(d) In the desert.
2. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
(a) One day.
(b) Four days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Three days.
3. Why did Mason kidnap Francis?
(a) To save his soul
(b) To get back at Rayber.
(c) All of the above.
(d) To carry on his legacy.
4. Who buried Mason's body?
(a) Buford Munson.
(b) Mason's body was never recovered.
(c) George Rayber.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
5. Which of the following activities does Francis refuse to do while he is living with Rayber?
6. Where did Mason Tarwater die?
(a) Tending to his cotton fields.
(b) Sleeping in his bed.
(c) Reading a newspaper on the porch.
(d) At the breakfast table.
7. What food item does the first truck driver give to Francis before dropping him off at the side of the road?
(a) A cookie.
(b) An ice cream bar.
(c) An orange.
(d) A sandwich.
8. What does Francis dream about when he falls asleep in the truck driver's cab on his way back to the farm?
(a) His uncle's corpse.
(b) His mother's smile.
(c) Drowning Bishop.
9. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(a) Rye beer.
10. What does Meeks sell for a living?
11. Who claims that Rayber's ears are "deaf to the Holy word"?
12. Which of the following descriptions of the man who attacks Francis in the woods is NOT true?
(a) He wears a Panama hat.
(b) He drinks whiskey.
(c) He doesn't wear shoes.
(d) He drives a lavender-colored car.
13. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
(a) A gun.
(b) A rock.
(c) A knife.
(d) A slingshot.
14. How old was George Rayber when Mason kidnapped him?
(a) He was an infant.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was a toddler.
(d) He was a child.
15. How old was Mason Tarwater when he died?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
2. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
3. Where does the first truck driver tell Francis he belongs when he drops him off at the side of the road?
4. How long did Mason Tarwater spend in the mental institution before his release?
5. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
This section contains 452 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)