|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) In a cave in the mountains.
(b) In the desert.
(c) On a fishing boat.
(d) In a corn field.
2. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
(a) Become a prophet.
(b) Become an astronaut.
(c) Become a school teacher.
(d) Become a father.
3. Which of the following characters shouted these words: "The prophet I raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean!" ?
(a) George Rayber.
(b) Mason Tarwater.
(c) Bernice Bishop.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
4. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
(a) Strawberry bushes.
(b) Raspberry bushes.
(c) Poison ivy bushes.
(d) Blackberry bushes.
5. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is an orphan.
(b) That Francis is a prophet.
(c) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
(d) That Francis is his son.
6. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Take care of him.
(b) Baptize him.
(c) Put him to sleep.
(d) Give him rest.
7. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
(a) One day.
(b) Three days.
(c) Two days.
(d) Four days.
8. What nickname does Rayber give to Francis during their fishing trip?
9. Who claims that Rayber's ears are "deaf to the Holy word"?
10. In what type of establishment did Mason live when he was not in the mental institution?
(a) A large house with a pool.
(b) A hotel.
(c) An apartment complex.
(d) A farm.
11. Which of the following descriptions of the man who attacks Francis in the woods is NOT true?
(a) He doesn't wear shoes.
(b) He drinks whiskey.
(c) He wears a Panama hat.
(d) He drives a lavender-colored car.
12. How old was George Rayber when Mason kidnapped him?
(a) He was a child.
(b) He was a teenager.
(c) He was a toddler.
(d) He was an infant.
13. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is saddened.
14. Where does Francis drown Bishop?
(a) In the lake.
(b) In the swimming pool.
(c) In the dishwater.
(d) In the bathtub.
15. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Francis think is speaking to him when he hears the voice of his "friend" in his ear?
2. How does Francis react when Mason brings him new, clean clothes to wear?
3. What weapon did Mason pull on Rayber when he came to collect Francis after the kidnapping?
4. Which of the following activities does Francis refuse to do while he is living with Rayber?
5. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)