|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rayber's reaction when he realizes Bishop is dead?
(a) He is happy.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is outraged.
2. What nickname does Rayber give to Francis during their fishing trip?
3. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is saddened.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is relieved.
4. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a journalist.
(b) She was a hair stylist.
(c) She was an actress.
(d) She was a social worker.
5. According to Meeks, what does H.L.L stand for?
(a) Help Lead Love.
(b) Hold Love Longingly.
(c) Hard Lessons Learned.
(d) Heaven Listens Last.
6. When Francis arrives at Rayber's front door, what does he say happened to Mason's body?
(a) It was burned.
(b) It disappeared.
(c) It was eaten by wild animals.
(d) It fell into a well.
7. To what animal does Francis compare Rayber's son, Bishop?
(a) A gorilla.
(b) A ferret.
(c) A canary.
(d) A dog.
8. Why did Mason kidnap Francis?
(a) To save his soul
(b) To carry on his legacy.
(c) To get back at Rayber.
(d) All of the above.
9. What does Meeks sell for a living?
10. How does Francis react when Mason brings him new, clean clothes to wear?
(a) He sets them on fire.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He is confused about how to wear them?
(d) He refuses to try them on.
11. What does Francis drink until he is drunk after Mason's death?
(d) Rye beer.
12. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
(b) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
(c) Because they don't recognize him.
(d) To punish him for burning down the house.
13. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Baptize him.
(b) Give him rest.
(c) Take care of him.
(d) Put him to sleep.
14. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
15. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
(a) Become a prophet.
(b) Become a father.
(c) Become an astronaut.
(d) Become a school teacher.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
2. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Francis' behavior while he is living with Rayber?
3. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
4. Where does the first truck driver tell Francis he belongs when he drops him off at the side of the road?
5. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)