|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does George Rayber do for a living?
(a) He is a mechanic.
(b) He is a pastor.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a teacher.
2. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a journalist.
(b) She was an actress.
(c) She was a social worker.
(d) She was a hair stylist.
3. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
4. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
(a) Blackberry bushes.
(b) Strawberry bushes.
(c) Raspberry bushes.
(d) Poison ivy bushes.
5. Where does Francis drown Bishop?
(a) In the dishwater.
(b) In the swimming pool.
(c) In the bathtub.
(d) In the lake.
6. According to Meeks, what does H.L.L stand for?
(a) Hard Lessons Learned.
(b) Hold Love Longingly.
(c) Heaven Listens Last.
(d) Help Lead Love.
7. How does Francis react to Rayber's offer to let him baptize Bishop?
(a) He is horrified.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is pleased.
8. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
(b) Because they don't recognize him.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
9. What lie did Mason repeatedly tell Francis about his mother?
(a) That she had abandoned him.
(b) That she was a Satan worshipper.
(c) That she was a whore.
(d) That she was still alive.
10. Where does the first truck driver tell Francis he belongs when he drops him off at the side of the road?
(a) The Nut House.
(b) The Booby Hatch.
(c) The Loonie Bin.
(d) The Crazy Shack.
11. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
(a) To teach him a lesson about drinking.
(b) Because he thinks the boy is dead.
(c) To protect him from the dogs.
(d) Because he thinks the boy stole his alcohol.
12. How does Francis react when Mason brings him new, clean clothes to wear?
(a) He begins to cry.
(b) He is confused about how to wear them?
(c) He refuses to try them on.
(d) He sets them on fire.
13. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
(a) Mason Tarwater.
(b) Francis Tarwater.
(c) George Rayber.
(d) All of the above.
14. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
(a) Become a prophet.
(b) Become an astronaut.
(c) Become a father.
(d) Become a school teacher.
15. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Put him to sleep.
(b) Baptize him.
(c) Take care of him.
(d) Give him rest.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Rayber's wife leave him?
2. In what state did Mason Tarwater live?
3. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
4. What does Francis dream about when he falls asleep in the truck driver's cab on his way back to the farm?
5. In what type of establishment did Mason live when he was not in the mental institution?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)