|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What food item does the first truck driver give to Francis before dropping him off at the side of the road?
(a) An orange.
(b) A cookie.
(c) A sandwich.
(d) An ice cream bar.
2. What does Francis claim to have lost at the building where the congregational revival took place?
(a) His wallet.
(b) His hat.
(c) His faith.
(d) His parents.
3. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
(a) They were married.
(b) They were not related.
(c) They were siblings.
(d) They were cousins.
4. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was a hair stylist.
(b) She was a social worker.
(c) She was a journalist.
(d) She was an actress.
5. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) Because they don't recognize him.
(b) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
6. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
(a) Raspberry bushes.
(b) Strawberry bushes.
(c) Blackberry bushes.
(d) Poison ivy bushes.
7. What is Francis' first impression of Rayber?
(a) That he is a kind man.
(b) That he is a heathen.
(c) That he is a wimp.
(d) That he is a prophet.
8. How long did Mason Tarwater spend in the mental institution before his release?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 16 years.
(c) 4 years.
(d) 2 years.
9. In what state did Mason Tarwater live?
10. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
(a) Become a school teacher.
(b) Become a father.
(c) Become a prophet.
(d) Become an astronaut.
11. What part of Rayber's body was irrevocably damaged during his altercation with Mason about Francis' kidnapping?
(a) His legs.
(b) His ears.
(c) His eyes.
(d) His hands.
12. What emotion is Rayber overcome with when he stoops down to tie Bishop's shoelaces at the Science Museum?
13. Where did Mason leave Rayber when he was a boy, to prove that God would provide for him?
(a) On a fishing boat.
(b) In a cave in the mountains.
(c) In a corn field.
(d) In the desert.
14. Which of the following activities does Francis refuse to do while he is living with Rayber?
15. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is apathetic.
(b) He is confused.
(c) He is saddened.
(d) He is relieved.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Mason kidnap Francis?
2. What does Francis dream about when he falls asleep in the truck driver's cab on his way back to the farm?
3. How does Francis react when Rayber tells him that he considered drowning Bishop when he was born?
4. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
5. Why did Rayber's wife leave him?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)