|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
(a) He is shocked.
(b) He is relieved.
(c) He is terrified.
(d) He is angry.
2. What is the name of the lodge Rayber takes Francis to during their one-on-one fishing trip?
(a) The Cherokee Lodge.
(b) The Blackfoot Lodge.
(c) The Potawatame Lodge.
(d) The Navajo Lodge.
3. How old is Francis when Mason Tarwater dies?
4. Who claims that Rayber's ears are "deaf to the Holy word"?
5. What part of Rayber's body was irrevocably damaged during his altercation with Mason about Francis' kidnapping?
(a) His hands.
(b) His eyes.
(c) His ears.
(d) His legs.
6. What crime had Mason committed leading to his incarceration in the mental institution?
7. Which of the following characters shouted these words: "The prophet I raise up out of this boy will burn your eyes clean!" ?
(a) Francis Tarwater.
(b) Mason Tarwater.
(c) George Rayber.
(d) Bernice Bishop.
8. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is a prophet.
(b) That Francis is an orphan.
(c) That Francis is his son.
(d) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
9. Where does the first truck driver tell Francis he belongs when he drops him off at the side of the road?
(a) The Nut House.
(b) The Loonie Bin.
(c) The Booby Hatch.
(d) The Crazy Shack.
10. Why won't Mason's neighbors give Francis a drink of water when he requests one from them?
(a) Because they don't have any fresh water on their farm.
(b) Because they don't recognize him.
(c) To punish him for burning down the house.
(d) To save their water for the cattle, who need it.
11. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
(a) To pay for her surgery.
(b) To pay for Mason's funeral.
(c) For missionary work.
(d) To fund a militia.
12. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
(a) His brother.
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
(d) His sister.
13. What does George Rayber do for a living?
(a) He is a teacher.
(b) He is a lawyer.
(c) He is a mechanic.
(d) He is a pastor.
14. According to Meeks, what does H.L.L stand for?
(a) Help Lead Love.
(b) Heaven Listens Last.
(c) Hold Love Longingly.
(d) Hard Lessons Learned.
15. How does Rayber react to the news that his uncle, Mason, is dead?
(a) He is relieved.
(b) He is apathetic.
(c) He is confused.
(d) He is saddened.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
2. Which of the following Biblical stories does Francis think about after his sexual assault?
3. When "The Violent Bear it Away" opens, how long has Mason Tarwater been dead?
4. What food item does the first truck driver give to Francis before dropping him off at the side of the road?
5. Which of the following adjectives does NOT describe Francis' behavior while he is living with Rayber?
This section contains 527 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)