|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Rayber's wife, Bernice, do for a living?
(a) She was an actress.
(b) She was a journalist.
(c) She was a social worker.
(d) She was a hair stylist.
2. How old is Francis when Mason Tarwater dies?
3. How does Francis react when he finds Mason's still on the farm?
(a) He is terrified.
(b) He is angry.
(c) He is shocked.
(d) He is relieved.
4. Which of the following characters believed himself to be a prophet at some point in his life?
(a) All of the above.
(b) George Rayber.
(c) Mason Tarwater.
(d) Francis Tarwater.
5. Which of Mason's relatives was considered to be an evil drunk incapable of being saved?
(a) His sister.
(b) His mother.
(c) His father.
(d) His brother.
6. How does Francis react when Rayber tells him that he considered drowning Bishop when he was born?
(a) He cheers.
(b) He vomits.
(c) He prays.
(d) He cries.
7. What does Rayber say to the innkeeper that deeply annoys Francis?
(a) That Francis is his son.
(b) That Francis is an orphan.
(c) That Francis is a prophet.
(d) That Francis is a world class fisherman.
8. What does Francis tell Rayber he will do with Bishop before he kills him?
(a) Take care of him.
(b) Baptize him.
(c) Put him to sleep.
(d) Give him rest.
9. How does Francis know that he has been sexually assaulted?
(a) He is in pain.
(b) His hands are tied together.
(c) All of the above.
(d) His clothes are on backward.
10. What is Francis' first impression of Rayber?
(a) That he is a prophet.
(b) That he is a heathen.
(c) That he is a kind man.
(d) That he is a wimp.
11. What type of bushes completely overtook Mason's house and yard?
(a) Strawberry bushes.
(b) Raspberry bushes.
(c) Poison ivy bushes.
(d) Blackberry bushes.
12. What does George Rayber do for a living?
(a) He is a mechanic.
(b) He is a pastor.
(c) He is a lawyer.
(d) He is a teacher.
13. Who claims that Rayber's ears are "deaf to the Holy word"?
14. How does Francis react to Rayber's offer to let him baptize Bishop?
(a) He is confused.
(b) He is pleased.
(c) He is apathetic.
(d) He is horrified.
15. How was George Rayber related to Francis' Tarwater's mother?
(a) They were married.
(b) They were not related.
(c) They were cousins.
(d) They were siblings.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what type of establishment did Mason live when he was not in the mental institution?
2. How old was George Rayber when Mason kidnapped him?
3. Why does Lucette ask congregation members for money at the Powderhead Congregational Church?
4. When Francis leaves the woods for the last time, what does he promise himself that he will do with his life?
5. Why does Buford Munson bury Francis when he finds him, passed out drunk?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)