|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Sabbath's mother?
(a) She is dead.
(b) She is in an insane asylum.
(c) Sabbath has never known her mother.
(d) She is working in Uganda.
2. How long did Hazel Motes spend in the military before returning home?
(a) 8 years.
(b) 4 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 years.
3. What falls from the roof of the house, cutting Motes' face?
(a) A board.
(b) A rock.
(c) A baseball.
(d) An icicle.
4. What did Motes' grandfather do for a living when he was still alive?
(a) He was a mechanic.
(b) He was a preacher.
(c) He was a bartender.
(d) He was a professional athlete.
5. What does Mrs. Watts do for a living?
(a) She is a drug dealer.
(b) She is a police officer.
(c) She is an exotic dancer.
(d) She is a prostitute.
6. What is the name of the church that Motes preaches for?
(a) The Church without Sin.
(b) The Church without Communion.
(c) The Church without Christ.
(d) The Church without Love.
7. How does Motes feel when Mrs. Wally Bee Hitchcock starts a conversation with him?
(a) He feels apathetic.
(b) He feels annoyed.
(c) He feels excited.
(d) He feels nervous.
8. Where is Motes' body found by two policemen shortly before his death?
(a) Under a bridge.
(b) In a ditch.
(c) In the river.
(d) In the cemetary.
9. What is the name of Motes' landlady at the end of the story?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Mrs. Flood.
(c) Mrs. Hatchet.
(d) Mrs. Gold.
10. Which of the following adjectives best describes the sleeping berth where Motes sleeps on his way home from the military?
11. How old is Enoch Emory?
12. What does Motes fill his shoes with as penance for sins?
13. What does Motes light on fire as he travels through his abandoned house?
14. Which of his mother's possessions did Motes bring with him when he joined the military?
(a) Her glasses.
(b) Her diary.
(c) Her handkerchief.
(d) Her wedding ring.
15. Which of the following items does Motes watch a demonstration of in the streets?
(a) A rice steamer.
(b) An orange juicer.
(c) A potato peeler.
(d) An apple slicer.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following items is NOT advertised for in neon lights in the city of Taulkinham?
2. What topic of conversation arises right before Motes dies that forces him to leave the house, swearing he will never return?
3. What crew member does Motes speak to at length during his ride home after serving in the military?
4. What is all over the porch floor when Motes arrives home?
5. How long did Motes have to wait for the train to reach Taulkinham?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)