|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of Motes' landlady at the end of the story?
(a) Mrs. Flood.
(b) Mrs. Howe.
(c) Mrs. Gold.
(d) Mrs. Hatchet.
2. Which of the following adjectives best describes Miss Wally Bee Hitchcock?
3. As a young boy, what did Motes want to be when he grew up?
(a) A preacher.
(b) A police officer.
(c) A race car driver.
(d) A soldier.
4. What branch of the military did Hazel Motes serve in?
(a) The navy.
(b) The army.
(c) The air force.
(d) The marines.
5. How did Asa Hawks become blind?
(a) He had an accident with a slingshot.
(b) He was poisoned.
(c) He blinded himself.
(d) He was born blind.
6. Who witnesses the light leaving Motes' eyes right before he dies?
(a) His doctor.
(b) His landlady.
(c) His girlfriend.
(d) His business partner.
7. What does Motes use to blind himself?
(a) A slingshot.
(c) A spoon.
(d) Hot coals.
8. Where did Motes' family disappear off to before he arrived home?
(a) Motes doesn't know where his family went.
(b) To visit relatives in Michigan.
(c) To find work in Mexico.
(d) To see the mountains in Colorado.
9. At what time of day does Motes reach his old homestead after serving time in the military?
(a) 4:00 am.
(b) 9:00 pm.
(c) 9:00 am.
(d) 4:00 pm.
10. Outside which building does Motes typically preach his sermons?
(a) The elementary school.
(b) The movie theater.
(c) The cathedral.
(d) The library.
11. Which of the following adjectives best describes the sleeping berth where Motes sleeps on his way home from the military?
12. What topic of conversation arises right before Motes dies that forces him to leave the house, swearing he will never return?
13. How old was Hazel Motes when he was drafted into the army?
14. How does Emory get the Gonga suit from its owner?
(a) He asks to borrow it from the owner.
(b) He steals it while the owner is sleeping.
(c) He purchases it from the owner.
(d) He stabs the owner.
15. What does Motes light on fire as he travels through his abandoned house?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the church that Motes preaches for?
2. Why does the pitchman become angry with the young girl accompanying the blind preacher?
3. What falls from the roof of the house, cutting Motes' face?
4. On his first night back at home, where does Motes sleep?
5. What does Emory believe is his "special mystery"?
This section contains 448 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)