|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks they are a big phony?
2. How long did Child Welfare tell Arnold that Murray has to prove that he's stable enough to be Nick's guardian?
3. Who portrays Chuckles the Chipmunk?
4. What has happened to Murray's apartment at the opening of Act 2, Part 3?
5. What do we hear at the beginning of Act 2, Part 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murray would be considered the protagonist in the play, A Thousand Clowns. Name at least two characters in the play that are antagonists and explain how they cause conflict. Cite specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
In the play, A Thousand Clowns Murray Burns and Arnold Burns are brothers. Even though they are related, Murray and Arnold are completely different people. Compare and contrast the two brothers in detail. Explain their relationship to one another and how they affect each other during the play.
Essay Topic 3
Murray's character develops and changes throughout the play. Describe the process of Murray's character development beginning with Act 1 and working your way through Act 3. What instances in Murray's "journey" affect him as a character? What other characters help shape Murray into a different person? Murray doesn't change in every way. What personal characteristics remain the same? Why?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)