|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Murray, you float like a balloon and everybody's waitin' for ya with a pin"?
2. When Sandra asks Nick if he likes the redecorating, what does Nick say about the apartment?
3. What name does Nick choose for himself in Act 3, Part 1?
4. When the children wrote into the Chuckles show and asked the definition of a Chipmunk, what was Murray's reply?
5. Who calls Chuckles the Abominable Snowman in a cute suit?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, A Thousand Clowns, characters mask their insecurities in specific ways. Name three characters from the play that put on a mask of protection. Discuss each character in detail. What do they do to protect themselves from the outside world? Are the methods each of these characters use always effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
A Thousand Clowns was nominated for a Tony award for Best Play in 1963. Describe what elements in the story make it a good candidate for a successful play. Why? Also discuss elements that might not be as good or desirable and why you feel this way. Would you want to see a play like this on Broadway? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
A Thousand Clowns has a reoccurring theme of humor. Murray uses humor and jokes quite often to help him solve his problems or reason with other people. Why do you think Murray uses humor to solve his problems? Does it work for him? Why or why not? Are there other characters in the book that use this same method of persuading people or solving problems with humor? If yes, who and what things do they do that are similar to Murray?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)