|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of atmosphere does Murray state that Sandra has started to get rid of in his apartment?
2. Who says they can't decide whether Murray is "either wonderfully independent or extraordinarily selfish"?
3. Which floor does Arnold work on?
4. Who portrays Chuckles the Chipmunk?
5. Who offered Murray the job for a quiz show?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herb Gardner does a fine job of developing the character of Murray Burns. Describe in detail the characterization of Murray Burns from the start of the play to the end of the play. Make sure to include details about Murray's physical characteristics, his actions, his reactions, and even perhaps what his thoughts may be. Include specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
Because Murray has been raising Nick for the past seven years, what habits and characteristics of Murray have rubbed off on Nick? Do you think Murray or Nick acts more like the adult in most situations? Why do you think this and why do you think it's that way? Do you think Murray is glad for the opportunity of raising his nephew? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Who is your favorite character in A Thousand Clowns? What elements does this character bring to the story? If this character were not in the play, how would things be different? What might remain the same if this character didn't exist?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)