|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long ago was the photograph taken of Arnold's wife that he has on his desk?
2. Who says they can't decide whether Murray is "either wonderfully independent or extraordinarily selfish"?
3. What does Murray do when he enters the apartment?
4. What name is very musical according to Murray?
5. What is Sandra carrying from the kitchen when Nick enters from the fire escape?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
By the end of Act 1 in the play, Sandra and Murray have become quite close. Why do you think they "hit it off" so easily? What qualities in Murray do you think Sandra is attracted to? What qualities in Sandra would benefit Murray in a relationship? Is this a relationship that can last? Why or why not? How do you think a relationship between Sandra and Murray would affect Nick? Would it be good or bad for Nick?
Essay Topic 2
Murray's character develops and changes throughout the play. Describe the process of Murray's character development beginning with Act 1 and working your way through Act 3. What instances in Murray's "journey" affect him as a character? What other characters help shape Murray into a different person? Murray doesn't change in every way. What personal characteristics remain the same? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Because Murray has been raising Nick for the past seven years, what habits and characteristics of Murray have rubbed off on Nick? Do you think Murray or Nick acts more like the adult in most situations? Why do you think this and why do you think it's that way? Do you think Murray is glad for the opportunity of raising his nephew? Why or why not?
This section contains 315 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)