|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "Yeah, I have a way with animals"?
2. What does Murray look around and notice is missing?
3. Who says, "Murray, you float like a balloon and everybody's waitin' for ya with a pin"?
4. What does Leo say he's surrounded by?
5. Murray starts walking towards the door and says he wants to congratulate whom?
Essay Topic 1
The play takes place in Manhattan around the 1950s and 1960s. What elements does Herb Gardner add to the play to make you believe that you are looking in on someone living in Manhattan? Discuss ways that Gardner makes this believable. Discuss other people, places, or objects that are and could be included in the play that fit right in with the time period and place.
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in this play? Describe and discuss specific examples of foreshadowing in A Thousand Clowns.
Essay Topic 3
Herb Gardner does a fine job of developing the character of Murray Burns. Describe in detail the characterization of Murray Burns from the start of the play to the end of the play. Make sure to include details about Murray's physical characteristics, his actions, his reactions, and even perhaps what his thoughts may be. Include specific examples from the play.
This section contains 1,299 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)