|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is surrounding Murray's bed at the opening of Act 2, Part 1?
2. When Albert comes to the door, how do Murray and Sandra know he is there?
3. What time is it as the first scene opens?
4. What does Arnold leave as he enters?
5. Whom does Nick suggest they sell Bubbles to?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Murray calls Margo, what message does she tell Margo to relate to Arnold?
2. Describe some of the funny parts of Leo's routine that Nick doesn't think is funny.
3. Describe Leo's appearance as he enters Murray's apartment.
4. Describe Murray's morning routine.
5. Why does Albert think Nick should leave the room?
6. While Albert and Sandra are having their private conversation, Murray is doing peculiar things while he waits. Describe what Murray is doing to keep himself occupied while he waits for Albert and Sandra.
7. Describe the part of Murray's speech where he describes Nick as a list maker.
8. Describe what Arnold's office looks like.
9. When Albert takes Sandra aside to have a private conversation, what do they talk about?
10. Why does Arnold come to Murray's apartment in Act 3, Part 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of the bonds of family is used in a different ways in A Thousand Clowns. Discuss the ways this theme is used and between which people it is most apparent. How does this theme affect each character in the play? Are only blood relatives involved? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Murray's character develops and changes throughout the play. Describe the process of Murray's character development beginning with Act 1 and working your way through Act 3. What instances in Murray's "journey" affect him as a character? What other characters help shape Murray into a different person? Murray doesn't change in every way. What personal characteristics remain the same? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Albert and Sandra are Child Welfare agents in the play A Thousand Clowns. Besides working together as partners, Sandra and Albert are also dating at the beginning of the play. Compare and contrast Sandra and Albert's characters in detail. Do they make good working partners? Why or why not? Do they make a good couple? Why or why not?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)