Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Murray ask Nick if he's considered being the first twelve-year-old where?
2. What does Nick say he remembers about his mother?
3. Who opens the door for Albert and Sandra when they first arrive?
4. After Murray tells Sandra he probably loves her, Murray tells her she has small what?
5. Who tells Sandra that she is off the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nick.
2. What happened to the stuff that Elaine brought by?
3. Sandra starts sobbing about a lot of different things that are frustrating her about her job and her life. Describe some of the things that she is crying about to Murray at the end of Act 1, Part 3.
4. Describe some of the funny parts of Leo's routine that Nick doesn't think is funny.
5. How does Sandra's demeanor change after the doorbell rings at Murray's apartment and she hears that Albert is at the door?
6. Why does Sandra feel the need to apologize to Murray after her argument with Albert?
7. Describe Murray.
8. Describe the part of Murray's speech where he describes Nick as a list maker.
9. Describe Sandra.
10. What does Arnold mean when he tells Murray to leave the dragons alone?
Essay Topic 1
Murray's character develops and changes throughout the play. Describe the process of Murray's character development beginning with Act 1 and working your way through Act 3. What instances in Murray's "journey" affect him as a character? What other characters help shape Murray into a different person? Murray doesn't change in every way. What personal characteristics remain the same? Why?
Essay Topic 2
A Thousand Clowns was nominated for a Tony award for Best Play in 1963. Describe what elements in the story make it a good candidate for a successful play. Why? Also discuss elements that might not be as good or desirable and why you feel this way. Would you want to see a play like this on Broadway? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Albert and Sandra are Child Welfare agents in the play A Thousand Clowns. Besides working together as partners, Sandra and Albert are also dating at the beginning of the play. Compare and contrast Sandra and Albert's characters in detail. Do they make good working partners? Why or why not? Do they make a good couple? Why or why not?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)