|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Murray avoided from the Child Welfare?
2. Before the play begins, what do we hear?
3. Murray states that out of the mouths of babes comes what?
4. What is surrounding Murray's bed at the opening of Act 2, Part 1?
5. How much does Sandra say it cost her parents for her to go to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the part of Murray's speech where he describes Nick as a list maker.
2. When Sandra tells Murray that "this morning" she thought he was going to go get a job, what does Murray start talking about?
3. Describe Murray's morning routine.
4. Describe Murray and Nick's "act" that they perform for Leo.
5. What happens when Sandra starts asking Murray about the job interview?
6. When Nick enters from the bathroom, what does Leo present to him?
7. Describe Bubbles.
8. While Albert and Sandra are having their private conversation, Murray is doing peculiar things while he waits. Describe what Murray is doing to keep himself occupied while he waits for Albert and Sandra.
9. What does Leo tell Murray it feels like to flop in front of the children during the show?
10. Describe what Arnold's office looks like.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murray's character develops and changes throughout the play. Describe the process of Murray's character development beginning with Act 1 and working your way through Act 3. What instances in Murray's "journey" affect him as a character? What other characters help shape Murray into a different person? Murray doesn't change in every way. What personal characteristics remain the same? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How is foreshadowing used in this play? Describe and discuss specific examples of foreshadowing in A Thousand Clowns.
Essay Topic 3
By the end of Act 1 in the play, Sandra and Murray have become quite close. Why do you think they "hit it off" so easily? What qualities in Murray do you think Sandra is attracted to? What qualities in Sandra would benefit Murray in a relationship? Is this a relationship that can last? Why or why not? How do you think a relationship between Sandra and Murray would affect Nick? Would it be good or bad for Nick?
This section contains 1,870 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)