|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose bathrobe does Sandra use?
2. When Murray tells Albert that Sandra is in the closet, what does Albert think?
3. How tall is Nick's plastic hula dancer?
4. At what age does Nick have to agree on a name that he wants?
5. What does Nick leave to do after he lets Albert and Sandra in?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "situation" at school that Nick needs to discuss with Murray?
2. Describe the opening scene as the play begins in Act 1, Part 1.
3. What does it mean when Arnold tells Murray that he floats around like a balloon and everyone is waiting around with a pin?
4. While Albert and Sandra are talking to Murray and Nick, there is a noise at the front door. Who is it and what does this person do and look like?
5. What happens when Sandra starts asking Murray about the job interview?
6. Murray asks Nick why Nick hasn't told him about the situation at school and Nick replies that he hasn't seen Murray in a few days. Why haven't they seen each other and where has Nick been?
7. Describe Leo's appearance as he enters Murray's apartment.
8. How does Sandra's demeanor change after the doorbell rings at Murray's apartment and she hears that Albert is at the door?
9. After Albert and Sandra sit back down with Murray what types of questions do they ask about Nick?
10. What does Arnold mean when he tells Murray to leave the dragons alone?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is your favorite character in A Thousand Clowns? What elements does this character bring to the story? If this character were not in the play, how would things be different? What might remain the same if this character didn't exist?
Essay Topic 2
The protagonist in the play is Murray Burns. When a protagonist of a story doesn't quite live up to hero status, he or she is sometimes referred to as an anti-hero. Discuss the ways that Murray Burns proves to the reader that he is an anti-hero. Do these qualities make him more likable? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, A Thousand Clowns Murray Burns and Arnold Burns are brothers. Even though they are related, Murray and Arnold are completely different people. Compare and contrast the two brothers in detail. Explain their relationship to one another and how they affect each other during the play.
This section contains 1,962 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)