|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As part of his morning routine, whom does Murray call?
2. What does Murray say is almost as irresistible as pastrami?
3. How many days old is the paper from which Nick suggests several jobs for Murray?
4. Where does Murray live?
5. Who warns Murray that "those people don't kid around"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Murray and Arnold's discussion about in Act 2, Part 1?
2. When Nick enters in Act 3, Part 1, he states that because Murray has gone out to find a job that he has decided that he needs to take care of a matter also. What matter is this and what has Nick done?
3. Why does Murray want Arnold to get angry?
4. Describe Murray's morning routine.
5. Murray asks Nick why Nick hasn't told him about the situation at school and Nick replies that he hasn't seen Murray in a few days. Why haven't they seen each other and where has Nick been?
6. Describe Arnold.
7. When Albert takes Sandra aside to have a private conversation, what do they talk about?
8. While Albert and Sandra are talking to Murray and Nick, there is a noise at the front door. Who is it and what does this person do and look like?
9. Describe Sandra and Murray's morning routine in Act 2, Part 1.
10. What does the conversation consist of between Nick and Sandra in the beginning of Act 2, Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is foreshadowing used in this play? Describe and discuss specific examples of foreshadowing in A Thousand Clowns.
Essay Topic 2
Murray would be considered the protagonist in the play, A Thousand Clowns. Name at least two characters in the play that are antagonists and explain how they cause conflict. Cite specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 3
The Child Welfare agent, Albert, comes across as stuffy in the play. He takes his job seriously and doesn't really look for the good in some people. Why do you think Albert's nature is important in the play, A Thousand Clowns? Explain your reasoning and how you think the play would have been different if Albert had been more like Sandra.
This section contains 1,953 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)