|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the school that Nick attends?
2. What is Albert carrying?
3. Sandra wants to rush to the bathroom but instead ends up where?
4. In Act 1, Part 1 where does Nick say he's been staying?
5. Whom does Sandra admit that she hates?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Murray.
2. Describe Bubbles.
3. What is Leo's breakdown for the time allotment with his show?
4. Sandra starts sobbing about a lot of different things that are frustrating her about her job and her life. Describe some of the things that she is crying about to Murray at the end of Act 1, Part 3.
5. When Sandra tells Murray that "this morning" she thought he was going to go get a job, what does Murray start talking about?
6. Why does Murray want Arnold to get angry?
7. Describe Sandra.
8. Describe Arnold.
9. When Sandra tells Murray she isn't sure if he is independent or selfish, how does Murray reply?
10. What happens during Murray's lunch with Jimmy Sloan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the play, A Thousand Clowns, characters mask their insecurities in specific ways. Name three characters from the play that put on a mask of protection. Discuss each character in detail. What do they do to protect themselves from the outside world? Are the methods each of these characters use always effective? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Who is your favorite character in A Thousand Clowns? What elements does this character bring to the story? If this character were not in the play, how would things be different? What might remain the same if this character didn't exist?
Essay Topic 3
The character, Sandra, brings a feminine quality to the play overrun by male characters, and she brings her own feelings of loneliness, insecurity, and doubt along with her. Describe Sandra's character in detail and explain reasons for her personality traits. Is she a needed character in the play? Why or why not? How would the play be different if Sandra's character was a male? Do you think it was a wise decision on the part of Herb Gardner to include a lone female character? Why or why not?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)