Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Murray ask Nick if he's considered being the first twelve-year-old where?
2. What does Nick say he remembers about his mother?
3. Who opens the door for Albert and Sandra when they first arrive?
4. After Murray tells Sandra he probably loves her, Murray tells her she has small what?
5. Who tells Sandra that she is off the case?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Nick.
2. What happened to the stuff that Elaine brought by?
3. Sandra starts sobbing about a lot of different things that are frustrating her about her job and her life. Describe some of the things that she is crying about to Murray at the end of Act 1, Part 3.
4. Describe some of the funny parts of Leo's routine that Nick doesn't think is funny.
5. How does Sandra's demeanor change after the doorbell rings at Murray's apartment and she hears that Albert is at the door?
6. Why does Sandra feel the need to apologize to Murray after her argument with Albert?
7. Describe Murray.
8. Describe the part of Murray's speech where he describes Nick as a list maker.
9. Describe Sandra.
10. What does Arnold mean when he tells Murray to leave the dragons alone?
Essay Topic 1
Albert and Sandra are Child Welfare agents in the play A Thousand Clowns. Besides working together as partners, Sandra and Albert are also dating at the beginning of the play. Compare and contrast Sandra and Albert's characters in detail. Do they make good working partners? Why or why not? Do they make a good couple? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The character, Sandra, brings a feminine quality to the play overrun by male characters, and she brings her own feelings of loneliness, insecurity, and doubt along with her. Describe Sandra's character in detail and explain reasons for her personality traits. Is she a needed character in the play? Why or why not? How would the play be different if Sandra's character was a male? Do you think it was a wise decision on the part of Herb Gardner to include a lone female character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In the play, A Thousand Clowns, Nick is in danger of being removed from Murray's care. This is obviously a serious issue and concern for most people, but why do you think the writer, Herb Gardner, took a comedic approach to something that could be so dramatic? What differences would the story have if it were a drama instead of a comedy? Would you have enjoyed the play as much? Which characters would change and which characters would remain the same? Why?
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)