|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Murray say he always takes in his martini?
2. What type of instruments do Nick and Murray play for Sandra?
3. At the end of Act 1, Part 2 someone exits without anyone noticing. Who is it?
4. What is the color of Sandra's eyes?
5. What does Sandra ask for after peeking out at Murray?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the people and experiences that Murray has during his "apology spree."
2. Who is Irving R. Feldman and why is his name brought up in the play, <i>A Thousand Clowns</i>?
3. What does Arnold tell Murray is the one thing that really bothers Murray and that is his problem?
4. Why does Sandra feel the need to apologize to Murray after her argument with Albert?
5. When Sandra tells Murray she isn't sure if he is independent or selfish, how does Murray reply?
6. What happens when Sandra starts asking Murray about the job interview?
7. Describe Murray and Nick's "act" that they perform for Leo.
8. Sandra starts sobbing about a lot of different things that are frustrating her about her job and her life. Describe some of the things that she is crying about to Murray at the end of Act 1, Part 3.
9. Describe Nick.
10. When Nick asks Murray if he has been looking for a job, what does Murray confess to him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Murray would be considered the protagonist in the play, A Thousand Clowns. Name at least two characters in the play that are antagonists and explain how they cause conflict. Cite specific examples from the play.
Essay Topic 2
A Thousand Clowns was nominated for a Tony award for Best Play in 1963. Describe what elements in the story make it a good candidate for a successful play. Why? Also discuss elements that might not be as good or desirable and why you feel this way. Would you want to see a play like this on Broadway? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Because Murray has been raising Nick for the past seven years, what habits and characteristics of Murray have rubbed off on Nick? Do you think Murray or Nick acts more like the adult in most situations? Why do you think this and why do you think it's that way? Do you think Murray is glad for the opportunity of raising his nephew? Why or why not?
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)