|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
2. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
3. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
4. What did Campbell say was the fourth function served by Mythology?
5. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
2. How did the Shinto religion differ from most Western religions?
3. What did Semitic traditions require that others did not, and why?
4. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
5. What did Shive personify?
6. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
7. Why did Campbell say it was useful to study many different religious traditions?
8. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
9. How did Campbell say people in the world viewed metaphor?
10. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Kundalini, and what affect did this power have on the religious culture?
Essay Topic 2
How were science and religion connected in medieval times, and how does this differ from our current society?
Essay Topic 3
Medieval society was made up of two separate and important cultures, the Pagans and the Christians. Please compare and contrast these two cultures using citations from the text.
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)