|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
2. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
3. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
4. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
5. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
2. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
3. What happened when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
4. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
5. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
6. How did scholars and theologians differ when studying metaphor?
7. What did Shive personify?
8. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
9. What did Campbell say was the fourth function of metaphor?
10. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the most important facets of the Jewish culture, and why did Campbell think this culture was so important in history?
Essay Topic 2
How did medieval writers differ from modern writers, and what impact does this have on the two styles of literature?
Essay Topic 3
How did Astrology affect the medieval culture, and what was the Church's stance on this belief?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)