|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
2. What were some clergy unable to interpret?
3. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
4. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
5. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Shive personify?
2. What did Semitic traditions require that others did not, and why?
3. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
4. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
5. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
6. How did the Shinto religion differ from most Western religions?
7. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
8. What did Campbell say was the second function of metaphor?
9. How did Campbell say people in the world viewed metaphor?
10. What did Campbell say Mythology's religious function was?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the different religions that have a cross as a significant symbol, and how did Campbell say this affected his feelings and thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the telling of this interesting history?
Essay Topic 3
How did Campbell stay balanced in his informational book about mythology and literature, and how did this change the tone of the book?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)