|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
2. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
3. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
4. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused?
5. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say allowed radiance in life?
2. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
3. What did Semitic traditions require that others did not, and why?
4. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
5. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
6. What did Campbell say was the second function of metaphor?
7. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
8. How did Campbell describe myths?
9. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
10. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Campbell say technology was changing the religious landscape at this time in history?
Essay Topic 2
Education and the importance of training are constant themes in this book. Where do these themes appear, and which parts of human culture are most affected by them?
Essay Topic 3
Medieval society was made up of two separate and important cultures, the Pagans and the Christians. Please compare and contrast these two cultures using citations from the text.
This section contains 526 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)