|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
2. What did Campbell say was the first function served by Mythology?
3. What did Campbell say metaphors described?
4. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
5. What did Western religions pit against each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
2. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
3. What did Campbell say was the fourth function of metaphor?
4. What happened when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
5. How did the Shinto religion differ from most Western religions?
6. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
7. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
8. What did Campbell say caused the fall of the Medieval society?
9. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
10. Why did Campbell say it was useful to study many different religious traditions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did medieval writers differ from modern writers, and what impact does this have on the two styles of literature?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the telling of this interesting history?
Essay Topic 3
How did Astrology affect the medieval culture, and what was the Church's stance on this belief?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)