|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
2. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
3. What did Campbell say religion was often mistaken for?
4. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
5. What did Campbell say was the second function served by Mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say allowed radiance in life?
2. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
3. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
4. What was the difference cited between gurus and Arthurian knights?
5. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
6. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
7. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
8. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
9. How did Sri Ramakrishna open conversations?
10. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the different religions that have a cross as a significant symbol, and how did Campbell say this affected his feelings and thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
Science was a major theme in this book. Where did it appear, and how was it used to further the informational tone of the book?
Essay Topic 3
How did Astrology affect the medieval culture, and what was the Church's stance on this belief?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)