|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
2. What did Campbell say should not be comfortable in church?
3. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
4. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
5. What did Campbell say ruined the poetry in the Bible?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say caused the fall of the Medieval society?
2. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
3. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
4. How did the Shinto religion differ from most Western religions?
5. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
6. What did Campbell say Westerners were yearning for?
7. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
8. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
9. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
10. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the different religions that have a cross as a significant symbol, and how did Campbell say this affected his feelings and thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
How were science and religion connected in medieval times, and how does this differ from our current society?
Essay Topic 3
How did Campbell say technology was changing the religious landscape at this time in history?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)