|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
2. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
3. How did Campbell describe dreams?
4. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
5. What did Campbell say was the first function served by Mythology?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say caused the fall of the Medieval society?
2. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
3. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused, and why?
4. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
5. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
6. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
7. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
8. What did Campbell say was the fourth function of metaphor?
9. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
10. What did Shive personify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance of the title of the book, and what role did it play in the telling of this interesting history?
Essay Topic 2
What were some of the analogies Paul used when teaching about Christ, and how did they affect the audiences who heard them?
Essay Topic 3
Medieval society was made up of two separate and important cultures, the Pagans and the Christians. Please compare and contrast these two cultures using citations from the text.
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)