|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did old images have to be freed of to impart truth, according to Campbell?
2. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
3. What did Eckhart say was the best thing God did for man?
4. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
5. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
2. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
3. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
4. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
5. What did Campbell say Westerners were yearning for?
6. How did Sri Ramakrishna open conversations?
7. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
8. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
9. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
10. What did Campbell say allowed radiance in life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science was a major theme in this book. Where did it appear, and how was it used to further the informational tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
How did Campbell say technology was changing the religious landscape at this time in history?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the different religions that have a cross as a significant symbol, and how did Campbell say this affected his feelings and thoughts on religion?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)