|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
2. What did Campbell say every man had to follow?
3. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
4. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
5. What did the yin yang represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
2. What did Campbell say Westerners were yearning for?
3. What did Campbell say Mythology's religious function was?
4. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused, and why?
5. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
6. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
7. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
8. What was the difference cited between gurus and Arthurian knights?
9. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
10. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the different religions that have a cross as a significant symbol, and how did Campbell say this affected his feelings and thoughts on religion?
Essay Topic 2
What was the medieval thought on philosophy, and how does it differ from the modern ideas of philosophy?
Essay Topic 3
What is literalism, and how did this concept affect the progression of religious ideas?
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)