|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Campbell say religious metaphors should be understood?
2. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
3. What in the Bible did Campbell call poetry?
4. Why did Campbell say moral law brought no security?
5. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused, and why?
2. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
3. What did Campbell say was the second function of metaphor?
4. How did Sri Ramakrishna open conversations?
5. What happened when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
6. What was the difference cited between gurus and Arthurian knights?
7. What did the yin-yang represent?
8. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
9. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
10. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Science was a major theme in this book. Where did it appear, and how was it used to further the informational tone of the book?
Essay Topic 2
Medieval society was made up of two separate and important cultures, the Pagans and the Christians. Please compare and contrast these two cultures using citations from the text.
Essay Topic 3
What is literalism, and how did this concept affect the progression of religious ideas?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)