|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
(a) Their fathers.
(c) A loving person.
(d) A higher power.
2. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A mystical union with God.
(b) A covenant.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A feast.
3. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
(a) Philosophical debates.
(c) Literary devices.
4. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were useful.
(b) They were lies.
(c) They were teaching tools.
(d) They were not to be trusted.
5. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the second function served by Mythology?
2. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
3. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
4. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
5. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
2. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
3. How did Campbell describe myths?
4. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
5. Why did Campbell say it was useful to study many different religious traditions?
6. What did Shive personify?
7. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
8. What did Campbell say Westerners were yearning for?
9. What did Campbell say Mythology's religious function was?
10. What did Campbell say caused the fall of the Medieval society?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)