|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
(a) The teaching point.
(b) The spiritual core.
(c) The real meaning.
(d) The reality of the situation.
2. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To honor a great leader.
(b) To create respect for priests.
(c) To explain the origin of the sun.
(d) So people could meditate on Jesus.
3. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
5. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Jewish name for God?
2. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
3. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
4. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
5. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did scholars and theologians differ when studying metaphor?
2. What was the metaphor used by Paul to describe the crucifixion?
3. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
4. Where did Campbell say many of our modern Easter symbols came from?
5. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
6. How did Campbell describe myths?
7. How did Campbell say people in the world viewed metaphor?
8. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
9. What did Campbell say allowed radiance in life?
10. Who were the Medieval cathedrals dedicated to, and why?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)