|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
(a) The ideas were proved wrong.
(b) The beliefs were questioned.
(c) The young generation was proud.
(d) The leaders died.
2. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
(a) An editor.
(b) A newspaper reporter.
(c) A student.
(d) A radio host.
3. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
4. Why was Paul's teaching in Corinth accepted?
(a) His banking metaphor connected with them.
(b) They had witnessed what happened in Jerusalem.
(c) He was fulfilling prophecy.
(d) They felt the spirit.
5. What did the yin yang represent?
(a) The connection of good and bad.
(b) The life span of a God.
(c) All things being separated.
(d) All things being part of one process.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Campbell say moral law brought no security?
2. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
3. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
4. What did Mythology teach people to respect?
5. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
2. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
3. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
4. What happened when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
5. What did Campbell say was the third function of metaphor?
6. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
7. What did Campbell say Westerners were yearning for?
8. What did Campbell say was the fourth function of metaphor?
9. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
10. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)