|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) Past references.
(b) An explanation of mysteries.
(c) Other people's religion.
(d) The root of actual knowledge.
2. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A feast.
(b) A covenant.
(c) A mystical union with God.
(d) A ritual.
3. What level did Hinduism strive to deal with?
(a) The then level.
(b) The thine level.
(c) The think level.
(d) The thou level.
4. What did Mythology teach people to respect?
5. Who was enthroned between Isis and Hermes in a painting?
Short Answer Questions
1. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
2. What did half of the people in religion say was truth?
3. What must fall away for people to grasp the truth, according to Campbell?
4. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
5. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did the Shinto religion differ from most Western religions?
2. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
3. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
4. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
5. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
6. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
7. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
8. What did Campbell say was the fourth function of metaphor?
9. What did Shive personify?
10. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)