|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To honor a great leader.
(b) So people could meditate on Jesus.
(c) To create respect for priests.
(d) To explain the origin of the sun.
2. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A ritual.
(b) A feast.
(c) A mystical union with God.
(d) A covenant.
3. What did Campbell say was the fulfillment of a man's purpose and direction?
(d) All of these.
4. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
(a) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(b) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(c) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(d) Supporting moral order in society.
5. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
2. What did Campbell say about the two neighboring lands of the country talked about in Chapter 2?
3. What did Campbell say Mythology was supposed to awaken?
4. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
5. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the first law of life?
2. How did Campbell say gurus were attracting Western youth?
3. What is Kundalini?
4. How did Buddha die?
5. Where did Campbell say many of our modern Easter symbols came from?
6. What did Campbell say was the first function of metaphor?
7. When did Campbell start talking about his ideas of myth being a lie?
8. What did the Passover coincide with, according to Campbell?
9. What did Campbell say would bring victory over patriarchal provincialism?
10. What did Campbell say was the second function of metaphor?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)