|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
2. What level did Hinduism strive to deal with?
(a) The thou level.
(b) The think level.
(c) The thine level.
(d) The then level.
3. How did Campbell say religious metaphors should be understood?
(a) By connotation.
(b) By denotation.
(c) Through meditation.
(d) Through interpretation.
4. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They were not believed.
(b) They taught lies.
(c) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(d) They could not touch hearts.
5. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
2. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
3. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
4. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
5. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What formed the mystery of the Orient?
2. What did Semitic traditions require that others did not, and why?
3. How did Campbell describe myths?
4. What did Campbell say corrupted the poetry of the Bible?
5. What about men did Western religions think needed purification?
6. What did Campbell say came of tragic situations?
7. What happened when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
8. Why did Campbell like visiting Japan so much?
9. What was the Japanese idea about individuals, and what was the comparison made there?
10. What did Campbell say metaphors truly described?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)