|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What historical event happened at Qumran?
(a) Mary spoke of her son.
(b) John baptized people.
(c) Jesus announced himself.
(d) All of these.
2. What kind of religion was Shinto considered?
(a) An Ethnic Religion.
(b) A Historical Religion.
(c) A World Religion.
(d) A Literal Religion.
3. Why did Campbell say men created myths?
(a) All of these.
(b) To remember stories.
(c) To preach truth.
(d) To pass on history.
4. What kind of book was Chronicles?
5. What movie was discussed in the Appendix?
(a) Close Encounters of a Third Kind.
(b) The Planet of the Apes.
(c) Space Explorers.
6. Who declared Buddha a beloved son?
(a) The River Serpent.
(b) The Earth Goddess.
(c) The Sun Holder.
(d) The Rain Bringer.
7. Who did Jesus see before going into the wilderness on his fast?
(a) The Greatest teacher.
(b) John the Baptist.
(c) His apostles.
8. Where did Mithra's cult flourish?
9. What did Campbell say mattered most of all in religious matters?
(a) Common sense.
(b) Common bonds.
(c) Common humanity.
(d) Common compassion.
10. What did Campbell say was the main benefit of groupings?
(d) Moral values.
11. Whose life line is similar to Buddha's?
12. What universal motif applies to the story of Moses?
(a) The fight between good and evil.
(b) The call to duty.
(c) The rise of a leader.
(d) The Hero's journey.
13. What did Campbell say Passover called men to?
(a) A new life.
(b) A hopeful future.
(c) A higher purpose.
(d) A renewed faith.
14. What kind of Medieval man was hesitant to trust Mother Nature?
(b) Desert nomads.
15. What two images show re-birth?
(a) The sun and the moon.
(b) The stars and the moon.
(c) The seed and the tree.
(d) The river and the ocean.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who began the cycle of the patriarchs?
2. What was the first country to establish a Goddess cult?
3. What did Campbell say caused men to see there were no horizons?
4. What did the Jews think would happen when the Messiah came?
5. What did Campbell say mythology was a language of?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)