|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Medieval festivals often correlate with?
(a) Storm sequences.
(b) Times of bounty.
(c) Seasonal cycles.
(d) Times of war.
2. What did Campbell say mythology was a language of?
(d) Religious experience.
3. Whose life line is similar to Buddha's?
4. What did Campbell say Freud did to mythology?
(a) Destroyed ideas.
(b) Muddled things.
(c) Developed morals.
(d) Brought things to light.
5. What did Dimmittis say one must do in order to die happily?
(a) Learn wisdom.
(b) Have children.
(c) Live a good life.
(d) See the Savior.
6. How did Campbell respond in question and answer situations?
(a) He was bored.
(b) He answered too intricately.
(c) He got easily annoyed.
(d) He was eager to answer them all.
7. Why did Campbell say mythology is no longer meaningful in most cases?
(a) The lessons are too simple.
(b) The characters are shallow.
(c) Pieces of the stories are missing.
(d) The symbols are antiquated.
8. What kind of head did Set have, in ancient art?
(a) An ass.
(b) A bird.
(c) A fish.
(d) A dog.
9. What marked the first known sacred spaces?
(b) Special pottery.
(c) Cave drawings.
10. What was the myth of the cave associated with?
(a) The Autumn Equinox.
(b) The Summer Solstice.
(c) The Spring Equinox.
(d) The Winter Solstice.
11. Why did Campbell not like preachers to explain symbols?
(a) The symbols should speak for themselves.
(b) There is not one meaning to symbols.
(c) They are not an authority.
(d) The people should discover them on their own.
12. Why did Campbell say men created myths?
(a) All of these.
(b) To remember stories.
(c) To pass on history.
(d) To preach truth.
13. What was the first country to establish a Goddess cult?
14. Who declared Buddha a beloved son?
(a) The River Serpent.
(b) The Rain Bringer.
(c) The Earth Goddess.
(d) The Sun Holder.
15. What did Campbell say was the main benefit of groupings?
(c) Moral values.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thomas Merton study?
2. Who began the cycle of the patriarchs?
3. What kind of Karma is often found in Indian mythology?
4. According to the Catholics, what must happen for one to be resurrected?
5. What kind of religion is Hinduism considered?
This section contains 378 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)