|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did the creator in Indian mythology punish?
(c) The wicked.
(d) The heathens.
2. What kind of creator was common in Indian mythology?
3. Why did Campbell say men created myths?
(a) All of these.
(b) To preach truth.
(c) To pass on history.
(d) To remember stories.
4. What did Campbell say was the most symbolic part of the Crucifixion?
(a) The Cross.
(b) Christ being a God.
(c) Mary as a mortal.
(d) The crown of thorns.
5. What did Campbell say mythology was a language of?
(b) Religious experience.
6. What was the first country to establish a Goddess cult?
7. How long did Jesus fast in the desert?
(a) 40 days.
(b) 50 days.
(c) 30 days.
(d) 20 days.
8. What kind of head did Set have, in ancient art?
(a) A fish.
(b) A dog.
(c) A bird.
(d) An ass.
9. Who first had the idea of a Messiah to bring the end of times?
10. What did the procession of the equinoxes create?
(b) A new calendar.
(c) The zodiac.
(d) The myth of Zeuss.
11. Who was the first infant to be adopted into a royal family?
12. Which of these did Campbell say causes panic in people?
(a) Seeing they are too similar to others.
(b) All of these.
(c) Not being a part of something.
(d) Being betrayed.
13. What did the Jews think would happen when the Messiah came?
(a) A crucifixion.
(b) A war.
(c) A renewal of peace.
(d) The end of the world.
14. What did Campbell say Passover called men to?
(a) A renewed faith.
(b) A hopeful future.
(c) A higher purpose.
(d) A new life.
15. Why did Campbell say mythology is no longer meaningful in most cases?
(a) The symbols are antiquated.
(b) The lessons are too simple.
(c) The characters are shallow.
(d) Pieces of the stories are missing.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thomas Merton study?
2. What was the myth of the cave associated with?
3. Where did Mithra's cult flourish?
4. What kind of book was Chronicles?
5. What movie was discussed in the Appendix?
This section contains 356 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)