|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Campbell say men created myths?
(a) To remember stories.
(b) All of these.
(c) To preach truth.
(d) To pass on history.
2. What did Campbell say needed to stop being fragmented?
(a) World mythology.
(b) Dead languages.
(c) Religious symbols.
(d) All of these.
3. What did Paul say Christ redeemed man from?
(a) The effects of the Fall.
(b) The influence of the Natural Man.
(c) The temptation of the devil.
(d) The curse of the law.
4. What was the first country to establish a Goddess cult?
5. What did Campbell say diverse traditions expressed?
(a) A higher power.
(b) A single experience.
(c) A new inspiration.
(d) A source of salvation.
6. What age did Campbell say would challenge literal interpretations?
(a) The Industrial Age.
(b) The Dark Ages.
(c) The Modern Age.
(d) The Space Age.
7. Why was Krishna sent across the river?
(a) To protect his people.
(b) To escape death.
(c) To incite a war.
(d) To expand his power.
8. Who began the cycle of the patriarchs?
9. Which country held some agricultural mythology?
(a) All of these.
10. Which of Arthur's knights suggested going separately into the forest?
11. What kind of religion is Christianity considered?
(a) A Historical Religion.
(b) A World Religion.
(c) A Literal Religion.
(d) An Ethnic Religion.
12. How did Campbell define transcendence?
(a) Shedding sinful ways.
(b) Finding an identity.
(c) Learning about the past.
(d) Moving beyond something.
13. Why did Campbell say mythology is no longer meaningful in most cases?
(a) The characters are shallow.
(b) The symbols are antiquated.
(c) Pieces of the stories are missing.
(d) The lessons are too simple.
14. What was the solar mystery?
(a) The sun is static and immobile.
(b) The afterlife is in the Earth.
(c) Nobody dies or is born.
(d) There is no end to creation.
15. Why were there ancient drawings of Jesus with an animal head?
(a) It was symbolic of strength.
(b) It denoted him as a Jew.
(c) It was an insult to Christians.
(d) It was a common misconception of the time.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who taught of a God of Light?
2. What did the Sumarian God need when he created man?
3. What marked the first known sacred spaces?
4. What kind of book was Chronicles?
5. What did Heracles kill from his crib?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)