|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What marks Christianity as a true religion?
(a) It has a creed.
(b) It has a following.
(c) It has historical evidence.
(d) It has a canon of scripture.
2. What did Campbell say Freud did to mythology?
(a) Muddled things.
(b) Brought things to light.
(c) Developed morals.
(d) Destroyed ideas.
3. What kind of creator was common in Indian mythology?
4. According to the Catholics, what must happen for one to be resurrected?
(a) They must be purified.
(b) They must have faith.
(c) They must be crucified.
(d) They must belong to the Church.
5. Where did Mithra's cult flourish?
6. Why did Campbell say men created myths?
(a) To preach truth.
(b) All of these.
(c) To remember stories.
(d) To pass on history.
7. What kind of religion was Shinto considered?
(a) An Ethnic Religion.
(b) A Historical Religion.
(c) A Literal Religion.
(d) A World Religion.
8. What occupation did Moses serve when he found the burning bush?
(b) Well digger.
9. Who first had the idea of a Messiah to bring the end of times?
10. Who was Jesus teaching when he was missing from his parents?
(c) Wise men.
11. What did Campbell say mythology was a language of?
(d) Religious experience.
12. What American did Campbell compare Mary to?
(a) Abraham Lincoln.
(b) George Washington.
(c) John F. Kennedy.
(d) Martin Luther King Jr.
13. Who found Vyasa as a baby?
(a) A fisherman.
(b) A priest.
(c) A God.
(d) A milkmaid.
14. Why was Krishna sent across the river?
(a) To escape death.
(b) To protect his people.
(c) To incite a war.
(d) To expand his power.
15. What did the Jews think would happen when the Messiah came?
(a) The end of the world.
(b) A renewal of peace.
(c) A war.
(d) A crucifixion.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Campbell not like preachers to explain symbols?
2. What movie was discussed in the Appendix?
3. What did people in Medieval Europe strive for?
4. Why did Campbell say mythology is no longer meaningful in most cases?
5. What was Kennedy's occupation?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)