|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Campbell say mythology is no longer meaningful in most cases?
(a) The characters are shallow.
(b) Pieces of the stories are missing.
(c) The lessons are too simple.
(d) The symbols are antiquated.
2. What American did Campbell compare Mary to?
(a) John F. Kennedy.
(b) George Washington.
(c) Abraham Lincoln.
(d) Martin Luther King Jr.
3. What did the Devil tempt Christ with?
(a) Spiritual power.
(b) All of these.
(c) Monetary wealth.
4. Why did educated men misread ancient texts?
(a) They only had half the language.
(b) They took symbols at face value.
(c) They did not understand the symbology.
(d) They thought myths were lies.
5. What did Thomas Merton study?
6. What did Campbell say would help men learn transcendence?
(a) The Bible.
7. What was the first God of Evil on record called?
(a) The Deceiver.
(d) The Devil.
8. What did Campbell say was the main benefit of groupings?
(b) Moral values.
9. Who does the Kabbala say men should marry?
(a) Their heavenly siblings.
(b) Their divine partner.
(c) Their companion.
(d) Their other half.
10. Who was Jesus teaching when he was missing from his parents?
(b) Wise men.
11. Why were there ancient drawings of Jesus with an animal head?
(a) It denoted him as a Jew.
(b) It was a common misconception of the time.
(c) It was an insult to Christians.
(d) It was symbolic of strength.
12. Where did Vyasa's father leave his seed?
(a) On a rock.
(b) In a river.
(c) On a leaf.
(d) In a dead woman.
13. What did Campbell say mattered most of all in religious matters?
(a) Common humanity.
(b) Common bonds.
(c) Common sense.
(d) Common compassion.
14. What kind of Medieval man was hesitant to trust Mother Nature?
(d) Desert nomads.
15. What kind of religion is Hinduism considered?
(a) A Literal Religion.
(b) A World Religion.
(c) A Historical Religion.
(d) An Ethnic Religion.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say Passover called men to?
2. What was the solar mystery?
3. What did the procession of the equinoxes create?
4. Which of Arthur's knights suggested going separately into the forest?
5. What did Paul say Christ redeemed man from?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)