|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) That is you.
(b) God will rule.
(c) This will pass.
(d) Love is here.
2. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A covenant.
(b) A mystical union with God.
(c) A ritual.
(d) A feast.
3. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the concrete meaning of metaphors?
4. How did Campbell describe meditation?
(d) All of these.
5. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
6. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
(a) The Middle East.
7. How did Campbell say people could answer the metaphysical call?
(a) By finding beauty in nature.
(b) By letting go of the concrete.
(c) By relazing their hold on reality.
(d) By going into the self.
8. What religion did Sri Ramakrishna follow?
9. What did Campbell say was the fourth function served by Mythology?
(a) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(b) Supporting moral order in society.
(c) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(d) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
10. How did Campbell say religious metaphors should be understood?
(a) By connotation.
(b) Through meditation.
(c) By denotation.
(d) Through interpretation.
11. How did Campbell describe dreams?
(d) All of these.
12. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
13. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
(a) Preaching the glorious details of nature.
(b) All of these.
(c) Allowing them to feel part of something.
(d) Telling them secrets lied within.
14. What did Campbell say every man had to follow?
(a) Their heart.
(b) Their own path.
(c) The future.
(d) The plan of God.
15. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
(a) Talking with an expert.
(b) Doing an interview.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Teaching a class.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
2. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
3. What were some clergy unable to interpret?
4. What did Campbell say scholars missed when studying facts?
5. What did Campbell say promoted mathematics in education?
This section contains 351 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)