|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say had to happen for a heart to awaken?
(a) Seek for meaning.
(b) Find compassion.
(c) Identify with others.
(d) All of these.
2. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
(a) A mystical union with God.
(b) A covenant.
(c) A synagogue.
(d) A feast.
3. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
4. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
(a) A higher power.
(b) A loving person.
(d) Their fathers.
5. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
6. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A covenant.
(b) A mystical union with God.
(c) A feast.
(d) A ritual.
7. What did Campbell say Mythology was supposed to awaken?
8. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
(a) There isn't one.
(b) A powerful being.
(c) One who gets tributed.
(d) The creator and master.
9. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
(a) A student.
(b) A radio host.
(c) An editor.
(d) A newspaper reporter.
10. What were some clergy unable to interpret?
11. What must fall away for people to grasp the truth, according to Campbell?
(a) The masks of God.
(b) The metaphysical covers.
(c) The mythological texts.
(d) The religious devotions.
12. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
(a) Spread of the Gospel.
(b) Spiritual revolution.
(c) All of these.
(d) Dilution of mystery.
13. What did Campbell say formed the mystery of the Orient?
(a) Lost scripture.
(c) Maps and legends.
14. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
(a) The Hindus.
(b) The Navajos.
(c) The Russians.
(d) The Buddhists.
15. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
(a) The leaders died.
(b) The young generation was proud.
(c) The beliefs were questioned.
(d) The ideas were proved wrong.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
2. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
3. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
4. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
5. What did Campbell say should not be comfortable in church?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)