|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They could not touch hearts.
(b) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(c) They were not believed.
(d) They taught lies.
2. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
3. Who was enthroned between Isis and Hermes in a painting?
4. What did Campbell say religion was often mistaken for?
5. What did James Joyce call terror?
(a) A static experience of the sublime.
(b) A doorway to understanding.
(c) A test of the believers.
(d) A path to the truth.
6. What did Campbell say metaphors described?
(a) The outer world.
(b) The mind.
(c) The soul.
(d) The visions of the past.
7. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
(a) The Buddhists.
(b) The Hindus.
(c) The Navajos.
(d) The Russians.
8. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
9. What did Campbell say Mythology was supposed to awaken?
10. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
(a) Their belief in metaphor.
(b) Their need for religion.
(c) Their trust in religion.
(d) Their faithful hearts.
11. How did Campbell describe dreams?
(a) All of these.
12. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Doing an interview.
(c) Teaching a class.
(d) Talking with an expert.
13. What did Campbell say about the two neighboring lands of the country talked about in Chapter 2?
(a) The conflicts were all started over legends.
(b) The peace was caused by belief in mythology.
(c) The beliefs were radically different.
(d) The religious background was amazing.
14. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
15. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
(a) None of these.
(b) Being and nonbeing.
(c) Immortal and Mortal.
(d) Omnipotent and Omniscient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say had to happen for a heart to awaken?
2. What was said to have cut short experiences?
3. What did Campbell say allowed participation with the infinite?
4. What level did Buddhism strive to deal with?
5. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
This section contains 371 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)