|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
2. What was said to have cut short experiences?
3. What did Campbell say was the fourth function served by Mythology?
(a) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(b) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(c) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(d) Supporting moral order in society.
4. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
(a) Good and Evil.
(b) Fall and Redemption.
(c) Compassion and Love.
(d) Repentance and Hope.
5. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
6. What in the Bible did Campbell call poetry?
(a) The symbolism.
(b) The Covenants.
(c) The mythology.
(d) The Commandments.
7. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
8. What did Campbell say religion was often mistaken for?
9. What did Campbell say was a lie?
10. How did Campbell say religious metaphors should be understood?
(a) Through meditation.
(b) By denotation.
(c) By connotation.
(d) Through interpretation.
11. Why was Paul's teaching in Corinth accepted?
(a) He was fulfilling prophecy.
(b) They had witnessed what happened in Jerusalem.
(c) They felt the spirit.
(d) His banking metaphor connected with them.
12. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To create respect for priests.
(b) So people could meditate on Jesus.
(c) To honor a great leader.
(d) To explain the origin of the sun.
13. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
14. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
15. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(b) They could not touch hearts.
(c) They were not believed.
(d) They taught lies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
2. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
3. What did Campbell say had to happen for a heart to awaken?
4. What did Western religions pit against each other?
5. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)