|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
2. What did James Joyce call terror?
(a) A test of the believers.
(b) A doorway to understanding.
(c) A path to the truth.
(d) A static experience of the sublime.
3. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. Who did Campbell compare Roman Catholic priests to when talking about the translation of Mass?
(a) Samuel Adams.
(b) Julia Child.
(c) George Bush.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
5. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
6. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) God will rule.
(b) Love is here.
(c) This will pass.
(d) That is you.
7. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
(a) Changes in time.
(b) Historical events.
(c) Scientific discoveries.
(d) Literary figures.
8. Who was enthroned between Isis and Hermes in a painting?
9. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(b) They could not touch hearts.
(c) They were not believed.
(d) They taught lies.
10. What did Eckhart say was the best thing God did for man?
(a) Was a man himself.
(b) Inspired leaders.
(c) Sent his son.
(d) Wrote the Bible.
11. What caused Jewish men to be allowed into the covenant?
(b) Bat Mizvahs.
(c) Scholar Study.
(d) The First Passover.
12. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused?
(b) All of these.
13. What did Campbell say metaphors described?
(a) The soul.
(b) The outer world.
(c) The mind.
(d) The visions of the past.
14. What did the yin yang represent?
(a) The life span of a God.
(b) All things being separated.
(c) The connection of good and bad.
(d) All things being part of one process.
15. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the second function served by Mythology?
2. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
3. What two trees did Paul see a connection between?
4. What did old images have to be freed of to impart truth, according to Campbell?
5. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)