|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
(d) All of these.
2. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
3. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They taught lies.
(b) They could not touch hearts.
(c) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(d) They were not believed.
4. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A ritual.
(b) A mystical union with God.
(c) A covenant.
(d) A feast.
5. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
6. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were useful.
(b) They were teaching tools.
(c) They were not to be trusted.
(d) They were lies.
7. What did Campbell say about the two neighboring lands of the country talked about in Chapter 2?
(a) The beliefs were radically different.
(b) The conflicts were all started over legends.
(c) The religious background was amazing.
(d) The peace was caused by belief in mythology.
8. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
9. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) Love is here.
(b) That is you.
(c) This will pass.
(d) God will rule.
10. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
(a) Their trust in religion.
(b) Their need for religion.
(c) Their faithful hearts.
(d) Their belief in metaphor.
11. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
(a) The Book of James.
(b) The Book of Revelation.
(c) The Book of Thomas.
(d) The Book of Paul.
12. What was said to have cut short experiences?
13. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
(a) Their fathers.
(b) A higher power.
(d) A loving person.
14. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
(a) Fall and Redemption.
(b) Repentance and Hope.
(c) Good and Evil.
(d) Compassion and Love.
15. How did Campbell say people could answer the metaphysical call?
(a) By finding beauty in nature.
(b) By relazing their hold on reality.
(c) By letting go of the concrete.
(d) By going into the self.
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
2. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
3. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
4. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
5. Why was Paul's teaching in Corinth accepted?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)