|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Campbell say people could answer the metaphysical call?
(a) By going into the self.
(b) By letting go of the concrete.
(c) By finding beauty in nature.
(d) By relazing their hold on reality.
2. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
(a) The young generation was proud.
(b) The ideas were proved wrong.
(c) The leaders died.
(d) The beliefs were questioned.
3. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
(b) Literary devices.
(d) Philosophical debates.
4. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
5. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
6. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
(a) God's plan.
(d) His life path.
7. What did Campbell say was the second function served by Mythology?
(a) Supporting moral order in society.
(b) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(c) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(d) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
8. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
9. What in the desert did Navajos attach mythological meaning to?
(a) The emptiness.
(b) The snakes.
(c) The sand.
(d) Every detail.
10. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
11. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
12. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
(a) Fall and Redemption.
(b) Good and Evil.
(c) Compassion and Love.
(d) Repentance and Hope.
13. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
14. What must humans do to create new symbols in life?
(a) Study the past.
(b) Look within themselves.
(c) Anticipate the future.
(d) All of these.
15. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) An explanation of mysteries.
(b) Other people's religion.
(c) Past references.
(d) The root of actual knowledge.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
2. Why was Paul's teaching in Corinth accepted?
3. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
4. What did Campbell say Christianity did to salvation?
5. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
This section contains 410 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)