|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say every man had to follow?
(a) Their heart.
(b) The plan of God.
(c) The future.
(d) Their own path.
2. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were teaching tools.
(b) They were not to be trusted.
(c) They were lies.
(d) They were useful.
3. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
(a) A newspaper reporter.
(b) A radio host.
(c) A student.
(d) An editor.
4. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
(a) The Book of Paul.
(b) The Book of James.
(c) The Book of Thomas.
(d) The Book of Revelation.
5. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A ritual.
(b) A covenant.
(c) A mystical union with God.
(d) A feast.
6. What level did Hinduism strive to deal with?
(a) The thou level.
(b) The think level.
(c) The then level.
(d) The thine level.
7. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) The root of actual knowledge.
(b) Past references.
(c) An explanation of mysteries.
(d) Other people's religion.
8. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
9. What did Campbell say was the first function served by Mythology?
(a) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(b) Supporting moral order in society.
(c) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(d) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
10. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
(b) All of these.
11. What did Campbell say scholars missed when studying facts?
(a) The ineffable.
(b) The spiritual nature of things.
(c) The other explanations.
(d) The truth.
12. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
(a) The Buddhists.
(b) The Navajos.
(c) The Hindus.
(d) The Russians.
13. What did Campbell say myths were products of?
14. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
15. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
(a) Omnipotent and Omniscient.
(b) Immortal and Mortal.
(c) Being and nonbeing.
(d) None of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
2. What in the desert did Navajos attach mythological meaning to?
3. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
4. What did Campbell say formed the mystery of the Orient?
5. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)