|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
2. What did Campbell say was a lie?
3. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
(a) His life path.
(b) God's plan.
4. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
(a) All of these.
5. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
(a) Dilution of mystery.
(b) Spread of the Gospel.
(c) Spiritual revolution.
(d) All of these.
6. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
(a) The Russians.
(b) The Buddhists.
(c) The Navajos.
(d) The Hindus.
7. What must humans do to create new symbols in life?
(a) Study the past.
(b) Look within themselves.
(c) All of these.
(d) Anticipate the future.
8. What did Campbell say ruined the poetry in the Bible?
(a) When people read over it too quickly.
(b) When people made it too concrete.
(c) When people didn't see it as poetry.
(d) When people tried to fit it in a mold.
9. How did Campbell say religious metaphors should be understood?
(a) By connotation.
(b) Through meditation.
(c) By denotation.
(d) Through interpretation.
10. What did Campbell say was the second function served by Mythology?
(a) Supporting moral order in society.
(b) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(c) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(d) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
11. What did Campbell say about the two neighboring lands of the country talked about in Chapter 2?
(a) The beliefs were radically different.
(b) The religious background was amazing.
(c) The peace was caused by belief in mythology.
(d) The conflicts were all started over legends.
12. What did Campbell say was the first function served by Mythology?
(a) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(b) Supporting moral order in society.
(c) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(d) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
13. Why did Campbell say moral law brought no security?
(a) Social life was changing constantly.
(b) Money became more and more important.
(c) The laws were not widely known as they should have been.
(d) People had different opinions.
14. What did Campbell say had to happen for a heart to awaken?
(a) Identify with others.
(b) Find compassion.
(c) Seek for meaning.
(d) All of these.
15. What did old images have to be freed of to impart truth, according to Campbell?
(a) Past usage.
(b) Literal definitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
2. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
3. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
4. What did Campbell say was the fourth function served by Mythology?
5. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 467 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)