|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
(c) His life path.
(d) God's plan.
2. What must fall away for people to grasp the truth, according to Campbell?
(a) The masks of God.
(b) The mythological texts.
(c) The metaphysical covers.
(d) The religious devotions.
3. Who did Campbell compare Roman Catholic priests to when talking about the translation of Mass?
(a) Samuel Adams.
(b) George Bush.
(c) Julia Child.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
4. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
(a) The Middle East.
5. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
(a) The teaching point.
(b) The reality of the situation.
(c) The spiritual core.
(d) The real meaning.
6. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
7. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
(a) Supporting moral order in society.
(b) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
(c) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(d) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
8. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
(a) A feast.
(b) A ritual.
(c) A covenant.
(d) A mystical union with God.
9. What did the yin yang represent?
(a) The life span of a God.
(b) All things being separated.
(c) The connection of good and bad.
(d) All things being part of one process.
10. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
(a) The beliefs were questioned.
(b) The ideas were proved wrong.
(c) The leaders died.
(d) The young generation was proud.
11. Who asked Campbell about what he thought was a lie?
(a) A student.
(b) A radio host.
(c) A newspaper reporter.
(d) An editor.
12. What must humans do to create new symbols in life?
(a) Look within themselves.
(b) All of these.
(c) Study the past.
(d) Anticipate the future.
13. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
14. What did Campbell say metaphors described?
(a) The visions of the past.
(b) The outer world.
(c) The mind.
(d) The soul.
15. What in the desert did Navajos attach mythological meaning to?
(a) The emptiness.
(b) Every detail.
(c) The sand.
(d) The snakes.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Campbell describe dreams?
2. What did Mythology teach people to respect?
3. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
4. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
5. What did Campbell say scholars missed when studying facts?
This section contains 416 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)