|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
(a) The Buddhists.
(b) The Hindus.
(c) The Navajos.
(d) The Russians.
2. What did Campbell say Medieval society was based on?
(a) Good and Evil.
(b) Compassion and Love.
(c) Repentance and Hope.
(d) Fall and Redemption.
3. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
(a) A feast.
(b) A synagogue.
(c) A covenant.
(d) A mystical union with God.
4. What level did Buddhism strive to deal with?
(a) The thou level.
(b) The then level.
(c) The think level.
(d) The thine level.
5. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
(a) Being and nonbeing.
(b) Immortal and Mortal.
(c) Omnipotent and Omniscient.
(d) None of these.
6. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) God will rule.
(b) Love is here.
(c) This will pass.
(d) That is you.
7. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
(a) The Buddhists.
(b) The Brahmims.
(c) The Khoran.
8. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
(d) All of these.
9. What two trees did Paul see a connection between?
(a) The tree of the Crucifixion and the tree of life.
(b) The tree of life and the tree of death.
(c) The tree of knowledge and the tree of evil.
(d) The tree of the Fall and the tree of the Cross.
10. What was said to have cut short experiences?
11. What religion did Sri Ramakrishna follow?
12. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) Past references.
(b) The root of actual knowledge.
(c) Other people's religion.
(d) An explanation of mysteries.
13. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
(b) God's plan.
(d) His life path.
14. What did Campbell say was the fulfillment of a man's purpose and direction?
(c) All of these.
15. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
2. What did Campbell say myths were products of?
3. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
4. How did Campbell describe meditation?
5. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)