|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
(a) The teaching point.
(b) The spiritual core.
(c) The real meaning.
(d) The reality of the situation.
2. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To honor a great leader.
(b) To create respect for priests.
(c) To explain the origin of the sun.
(d) So people could meditate on Jesus.
3. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
4. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
5. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
6. What is the Jewish name for God?
7. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
(a) The Brahmims.
(b) The Buddhists.
(d) The Khoran.
8. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
(a) All of these.
9. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
10. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
(a) The Book of Paul.
(b) The Book of James.
(c) The Book of Thomas.
(d) The Book of Revelation.
11. Who did Campbell compare Roman Catholic priests to when talking about the translation of Mass?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Samuel Adams.
(c) The Virgin Mary.
(d) Julia Child.
12. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
13. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
(a) Teaching a class.
(b) Doing an interview.
(c) Writing a book.
(d) Talking with an expert.
14. What did Campbell say should not be comfortable in church?
15. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
(d) The Middle East.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
2. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
3. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
4. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
5. Who was enthroned between Isis and Hermes in a painting?
This section contains 360 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)