|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
(a) God's plan.
(b) His life path.
2. What did Mythology teach people to respect?
3. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
4. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) Past references.
(b) An explanation of mysteries.
(c) The root of actual knowledge.
(d) Other people's religion.
5. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) This will pass.
(b) Love is here.
(c) That is you.
(d) God will rule.
6. What did half of the people in religion say was truth?
7. Why did Campbell say moral law brought no security?
(a) People had different opinions.
(b) The laws were not widely known as they should have been.
(c) Money became more and more important.
(d) Social life was changing constantly.
8. What did James Joyce call terror?
(a) A static experience of the sublime.
(b) A doorway to understanding.
(c) A test of the believers.
(d) A path to the truth.
9. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
(a) Their existence.
(b) Their future.
(c) Their wills.
(d) Their past.
10. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
(b) All of these.
11. What must fall away for people to grasp the truth, according to Campbell?
(a) The metaphysical covers.
(b) The masks of God.
(c) The mythological texts.
(d) The religious devotions.
12. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
(a) Literary devices.
(c) Philosophical debates.
13. What were some clergy unable to interpret?
14. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
(a) An intermdiary.
(b) A beacon of hope.
(c) A leader.
(d) An authority.
15. What did Campbell say formed the mystery of the Orient?
(b) Maps and legends.
(d) Lost scripture.
Short Answer Questions
1. What level did Buddhism strive to deal with?
2. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
3. What did the yin yang represent?
4. What level did Hinduism strive to deal with?
5. Who saw religion as a protection from experience?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)