|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What must humans do to create new symbols in life?
(a) Anticipate the future.
(b) All of these.
(c) Look within themselves.
(d) Study the past.
2. What did James Joyce call terror?
(a) A path to the truth.
(b) A static experience of the sublime.
(c) A doorway to understanding.
(d) A test of the believers.
3. What did Campbell say was the third function served by Mythology?
(a) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(b) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(c) Supporting moral order in society.
(d) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
4. What was said to have cut short experiences?
5. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
(a) Dilution of mystery.
(b) Spread of the Gospel.
(c) All of these.
(d) Spiritual revolution.
6. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
7. What did Campbell say the Earth was a precipitation of?
8. How did Campbell describe meditation?
(b) All of these.
9. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
10. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
(b) The Buddhists.
(c) The Khoran.
(d) The Brahmims.
11. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) Love is here.
(b) That is you.
(c) This will pass.
(d) God will rule.
12. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
13. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
(a) A covenant.
(b) A mystical union with God.
(c) A feast.
(d) A synagogue.
14. What did Campbell say metaphors described?
(a) The soul.
(b) The outer world.
(c) The mind.
(d) The visions of the past.
15. What did Eckhart say was the best thing God did for man?
(a) Inspired leaders.
(b) Was a man himself.
(c) Sent his son.
(d) Wrote the Bible.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
2. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
3. What did Campbell say had to happen for a heart to awaken?
4. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
5. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
This section contains 377 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)