|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell say religion was often mistaken for?
2. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
3. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
4. What did James Joyce call terror?
(a) A path to the truth.
(b) A test of the believers.
(c) A doorway to understanding.
(d) A static experience of the sublime.
5. What did Campbell say was an underlying definition of Mythology?
(a) Past references.
(b) Other people's religion.
(c) An explanation of mysteries.
(d) The root of actual knowledge.
6. Where was it written that the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
(a) The Book of James.
(b) The Book of Revelation.
(c) The Book of Paul.
(d) The Book of Thomas.
7. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
8. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
9. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
10. Who did Campbell say people want to submit to?
(a) A higher power.
(b) Their fathers.
(c) A loving person.
11. What did Campbell say the Bible was a depiction of?
(a) The way to manage society.
(b) The battle between good and evil.
(c) A good world falling.
(d) A journey of the soul.
12. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To explain the origin of the sun.
(b) To honor a great leader.
(c) To create respect for priests.
(d) So people could meditate on Jesus.
13. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
(a) One who gets tributed.
(b) The creator and master.
(c) A powerful being.
(d) There isn't one.
14. What caused Jewish men to be allowed into the covenant?
(a) The First Passover.
(b) Bat Mizvahs.
(d) Scholar Study.
15. How did Campbell describe dreams?
(b) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell say was the fulfillment of a man's purpose and direction?
2. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
3. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
4. Who, besides the Jews, believed in a Promised Land?
5. How were gurus attracting young Westerners?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)