|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Campbell say moral law brought no security?
(a) People had different opinions.
(b) Social life was changing constantly.
(c) Money became more and more important.
(d) The laws were not widely known as they should have been.
2. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the concrete meaning of metaphors?
3. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were not to be trusted.
(b) They were useful.
(c) They were lies.
(d) They were teaching tools.
4. How did Campbell describe meditation?
(a) All of these.
5. What in the Bible did Campbell call poetry?
(a) The mythology.
(b) The Commandments.
(c) The symbolism.
(d) The Covenants.
6. What did Campbell say humans were to the Earth?
(c) Sense organs.
7. What should well-functioning mythologies produce?
(a) All of these.
8. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
(c) Literary devices.
(d) Philosophical debates.
9. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
(a) A beacon of hope.
(b) An intermdiary.
(c) A leader.
(d) An authority.
10. What did Campbell say formed the mystery of the Orient?
(b) Maps and legends.
(d) Lost scripture.
11. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the denotative meaning of metaphors?
12. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
13. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
(a) A synagogue.
(b) A covenant.
(c) A mystical union with God.
(d) A feast.
14. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
(a) Writing a book.
(b) Talking with an expert.
(c) Doing an interview.
(d) Teaching a class.
15. What did Campbell say the Bible was a depiction of?
(a) The way to manage society.
(b) A journey of the soul.
(c) The battle between good and evil.
(d) A good world falling.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
2. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
3. What did old images have to be freed of to impart truth, according to Campbell?
4. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
5. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
This section contains 363 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)