|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who said the Kingdom of God would spread unseen?
2. How did Campbell describe meditation?
(b) All of these.
3. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
(a) The creator and master.
(b) There isn't one.
(c) A powerful being.
(d) One who gets tributed.
4. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
(a) An authority.
(b) A leader.
(c) A beacon of hope.
(d) An intermdiary.
5. How many functions did Campbell say Mythology served?
6. What did Campbell say scholars missed when studying facts?
(a) The truth.
(b) The ineffable.
(c) The spiritual nature of things.
(d) The other explanations.
7. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They taught lies.
(b) They could not touch hearts.
(c) They were not believed.
(d) They got confused and changed doctrine.
8. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
(a) The teaching point.
(b) The spiritual core.
(c) The real meaning.
(d) The reality of the situation.
9. What is the Jewish name for God?
10. What did Campbell say formed the mystery of the Orient?
(a) Lost scripture.
(d) Maps and legends.
11. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
12. What kind of victims were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
13. How did Campbell say people could answer the metaphysical call?
(a) By going into the self.
(b) By relazing their hold on reality.
(c) By letting go of the concrete.
(d) By finding beauty in nature.
14. Who did Campbell compare Roman Catholic priests to when talking about the translation of Mass?
(a) Samuel Adams.
(b) Julia Child.
(c) George Bush.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
15. What did old images have to be freed of to impart truth, according to Campbell?
(a) Past usage.
(b) Literal definitions.
Short Answer Questions
1. What ceased the power of what Campbell said connected people to the infinite?
2. Where did Campbell say most Western religions came from?
3. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused?
4. What was the intermediate institution for Christians?
5. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)