|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jesus not fear in his life, according to Campbell?
2. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
(b) All of these.
3. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were lies.
(b) They were not to be trusted.
(c) They were teaching tools.
(d) They were useful.
4. What about the world did Navajos often meditate over?
5. What level did Hinduism strive to deal with?
(a) The thine level.
(b) The then level.
(c) The think level.
(d) The thou level.
6. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) So people could meditate on Jesus.
(b) To create respect for priests.
(c) To honor a great leader.
(d) To explain the origin of the sun.
7. What did Eckhart say was the best thing God did for man?
(a) Was a man himself.
(b) Sent his son.
(c) Inspired leaders.
(d) Wrote the Bible.
8. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
9. What did Campbell say was the fourth function served by Mythology?
(a) Alligning consciousness to the mysteries of the universe.
(b) Supporting moral order in society.
(c) Carrying individuals through life's crises.
(d) Perceiving the mystery of time and space.
10. What did Campbell say separated believers from atheists?
(a) Their trust in religion.
(b) Their faithful hearts.
(c) Their belief in metaphor.
(d) Their need for religion.
11. What did Campbell say humans were to the Earth?
(c) Sense organs.
12. What in the Bible did Campbell call poetry?
(a) The Covenants.
(b) The mythology.
(c) The Commandments.
(d) The symbolism.
13. What did Campbell say scholars missed when studying facts?
(a) The spiritual nature of things.
(b) The truth.
(c) The ineffable.
(d) The other explanations.
14. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
(a) All of these.
(b) Spiritual revolution.
(c) Spread of the Gospel.
(d) Dilution of mystery.
15. What was ignored when metaphors were taken literally?
(a) The real meaning.
(b) The spiritual core.
(c) The teaching point.
(d) The reality of the situation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of conquerors were always found in Hebrew scriptures?
2. What did Campbell say ruined the poetry in the Bible?
3. What did Campbell say caused Martin Luther King Jr.'s death?
4. What did Campbell say were the main categories of God?
5. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)