|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To create respect for priests.
(b) To explain the origin of the sun.
(c) To honor a great leader.
(d) So people could meditate on Jesus.
2. What must humans do to create new symbols in life?
(a) Study the past.
(b) All of these.
(c) Look within themselves.
(d) Anticipate the future.
3. Who did Campbell compare Roman Catholic priests to when talking about the translation of Mass?
(a) George Bush.
(b) Samuel Adams.
(c) Julia Child.
(d) The Virgin Mary.
4. What did Campbell say was the definition of God?
(a) The creator and master.
(b) There isn't one.
(c) One who gets tributed.
(d) A powerful being.
5. What caused the fall of the Medieval society, according to Campbell?
(a) The ideas were proved wrong.
(b) The leaders died.
(c) The beliefs were questioned.
(d) The young generation was proud.
6. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
(a) A leader.
(b) A beacon of hope.
(c) An intermdiary.
(d) An authority.
7. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
8. What did Campbell say was a lie?
9. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
(a) Love is here.
(b) God will rule.
(c) This will pass.
(d) That is you.
10. What did translating the Roman Catholic Mass cause?
(a) Dilution of mystery.
(b) Spread of the Gospel.
(c) All of these.
(d) Spiritual revolution.
11. Where did the phrase "tat tvam asi" come from?
(a) The Buddhists.
(b) The Brahmims.
(d) The Khoran.
12. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
13. What did Campbell say most Western religions caused?
(c) All of these.
14. What did the other half of people in religion say about what half of the people said was truth?
(a) They were lies.
(b) They were not to be trusted.
(c) They were useful.
(d) They were teaching tools.
15. What kind of experiences did Campbell say led to rapture?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
2. What did half of the people in religion say was truth?
3. What did Campbell compare metaphors to?
4. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
5. What kind of religion was seen as a protection from experience?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)