|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why were Osiris and Set created?
(a) To create respect for priests.
(b) To explain the origin of the sun.
(c) So people could meditate on Jesus.
(d) To honor a great leader.
2. What did Campbell say people cannot view at a glance?
(a) Their future.
(b) Their wills.
(c) Their existence.
(d) Their past.
3. Who did Campbell say concentrated on the concrete meaning of metaphors?
4. Who spoke of hearing things that could not be told?
5. What did Campbell say should not be comfortable in church?
6. What was the intermediate institution for Jews?
(a) A covenant.
(b) A feast.
(c) A mystical union with God.
(d) A synagogue.
7. How did Jung say man's imagination should be?
8. What religion did Sri Ramakrishna follow?
9. What did Campbell say ruined the poetry in the Bible?
(a) When people read over it too quickly.
(b) When people made it too concrete.
(c) When people tried to fit it in a mold.
(d) When people didn't see it as poetry.
10. What in the Bible did Campbell call poetry?
(a) The mythology.
(b) The Covenants.
(c) The symbolism.
(d) The Commandments.
11. What country did Campbell talk about at the beginning of Chapter 2?
12. What did the priest become when the Roman Catholic Mass was translated?
(a) An intermdiary.
(b) An authority.
(c) A beacon of hope.
(d) A leader.
13. What happened when clergy were unable to interpret something?
(a) They could not touch hearts.
(b) They got confused and changed doctrine.
(c) They were not believed.
(d) They taught lies.
14. What country did Campbell enjoy visiting the most?
15. How did Campbell describe meditation?
(b) All of these.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Campbell doing when he declared something a lie?
2. What did Campbell say made narratives complex?
3. What did 'tat tvam asi' mean?
4. What caused Jewish men to be allowed into the covenant?
5. Who was enthroned between Isis and Hermes in a painting?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)