|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary Carson prefer to remain a widow?
(a) She will have to leave her home.
(b) She cannot find anyone she loves.
(c) Paddy will be jealous.
(d) If she remarries, all of her wealth becomes her husband's.
2. What does Frank participate in while touring the midway with Meggie and Ralph?
(a) Weight lifting contest.
(b) Pie eating contest.
(c) Blacksmith tournament.
3. Who dotes on Jims and Patsy?
(b) Father Ralph.
(c) Mrs. Smith, the housekeeper
4. What is Paddy's occupation when he and his family leave New Zealand?
(a) School teacher.
(b) Farmer and sometime sheep shearer.
5. How does Paddy feel about Fiona?
(a) He falls in love with her.
(b) He wishes she would do a better job of housekeeping.
(c) He regrets marrying her.
(d) He feels she and the baby are a burden to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people or things is Ralph torn between?
2. What does Fiona hope to do before moving into Mary's house?
3. What job does Paddy give Meggie?
4. What does the housekeeper tell Ralph the morning after Mary Carson's birthday party?
5. Who is the one character dissatisfied with life on the ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What physically happens to Meggie that initially frightens her?
2. What is Father Ralph's dilemma regarding Mary Carson's second will?
3. Why do Meggie and Stuart stop attending school?
4. Why do the Clearys decide to move to Drogheda?
5. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
6. Describe Father Ralph's relationship with the Cleary family after Mary's death and the unveiling of her will.
7. What makes Meggie's doll special?
8. What happens to Frank at the district's social event?
9. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
10. What are the land and climate like?
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)