|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Fiona is bedridden with her latest pregnancy, who is her greatest helper?
2. Which brother always seems to be Meggie's champion?
3. What does Mary tell Ralph after she leaves her birthday party?
(a) That he needs to be closer to the Cleary family to take care of them.
(b) To loan Paddy money.
(c) That this will be her last party and she will choose her time to die.
(d) To leave the maids alone.
4. How long did it take the Cleary family to arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Three days.
(b) One week.
(c) One month.
(d) Two weeks.
5. Who does Mary Carson pay tuition for to attend boarding school in Gillanbone?
(a) Ralph and Jack.
(b) Fiona and Paddy.
(c) Meggie and Stuart.
(d) Hal and Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which family member is not allowed to attend church?
2. What does Ralph do with Mary Carson?
3. What does Ralph insist that Meggie do?
4. Who does Paddy work for before his marriage?
5. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 2, there are two specific ways in which Meggie seems to experience discrimination. What are those two ways?
2. Describe the head stockman's house and Drogheda in general?
3. What happens between Frank and Paddy when they are at the Gillanbone Show and Picnic Races?
4. What is Father Ralph's visit to Drogheda like?
5. What is the role of farm women in this time period?
6. How does Father Ralph act more like a private citizen than a representative of the church?
7. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
8. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
9. Describe what happens to Paddy when he goes to round up sheep during a storm.
10. Describe what happens to Hal during one of the dry winters in Chapter 6.
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)