|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mary Carson prefer to remain a widow?
(a) If she remarries, all of her wealth becomes her husband's.
(b) She will have to leave her home.
(c) She cannot find anyone she loves.
(d) Paddy will be jealous.
2. How long did it take the Cleary family to arrive in Gillanbone?
(a) Two weeks.
(b) Three days.
(c) One week.
(d) One month.
3. What does Ralph insist that Meggie do?
(a) Ride a horse in the proper riding clothes.
(b) Try to put Hal out of her mind and go on.
(c) Go back to the boarding school.
(d) Talk to Fiona about female issues.
4. What sets Frank apart from the other male Cleary children?
(a) Helping his mother out when Paddy is not around.
(b) His love of adventure and travel.
(c) His desire to be independent.
(d) All of the given answers are correct.
5. The "Thorn Birds" spans three generations of what family?
Short Answer Questions
1. What job does Paddy give Meggie?
2. What does Mary give Ralph the evening of her 72nd birthday party?
3. What happens when the oldest son runs away?
4. What is Drogheda known for?
5. What does Ralph stop just short of explaining to Meggie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Father Ralph's life changed since Mary Carson died?
2. What kind of employer is Mary Carson?
3. What happens to Stuart during the search for Paddy?
4. How has Fiona changed after Frank leaves home?
5. What does Paddy tell Father Ralph about his past with Fiona?
6. What is significant about Mary Carson's 72nd birthday party?
7. What is Father Ralph's dilemma regarding Mary Carson's second will?
8. What are the land and climate like?
9. What does Fiona find while packing and how does it affect her?
10. What does Mary Carson's new will say?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)