|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language does Eleanor speak?
2. Where is Eleanor raised?
3. What does Amory say about all of the social organizations he has been a part of?
4. What causes Tom to leave the apartment he shares with Amory?
5. What does Eleanor threaten to do when Amory tries to kiss her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amory talk about that makes Tom very uncomfortable, and why?
2. What happens when Amory goes to quit his job after being rejected by Rosalind?
3. How big is Alec's family?
4. What does Amory do at the very end of the book, and why?
5. What does one of Rosalind's former suitors say about her, and how does Amory feel about this?
6. What stops Amory's drinking, and how does this affect his life?
7. What happens when Amory proposes to Rosalind?
8. What does Amory hear when he wakes up in the hotel in Atlantic City?
9. How do Eleanor and Amory feel about each other when they first meet, and what does this lead to?
10. What do Amory and Eleanor do the night before Amory leaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Amory endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 2
What does Amory choose to do with his inherited estate, and why does he choose to take this path?
Essay Topic 3
How does Amory's relationship with Monsignor Darcy change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)