|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Amory start doing in bars after being rejected by Rosalind?
2. What does Amory say the ideal world would be based on?
3. What does Amory write after he stops drinking?
4. Where is Amory's work published after he stops drinking?
5. What do Amory and Rosalind do when they first meet each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amory talk about that makes Tom very uncomfortable, and why?
2. What happens when Amory goes for a visit to Maryland for a few days?
3. What happens when Amory gets to the hotel he was invited to while in Atlantic City?
4. Who does Amory see in Atlantic City, and how does this make him feel?
5. What do Amory and Eleanor do the night before Amory leaves?
6. What does Eleanor have a reputation for?
7. What does Amory talk about with the driver who takes him home from the funeral?
8. What does one of Rosalind's former suitors say about her, and how does Amory feel about this?
9. What happens when Amory proposes to Rosalind?
10. What do Amory and Eleanor do to keep the memory of their summer alive?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 3
There were a few different social and political ideals mentioned and discussed in this book. What are some of these ideals, and how does their presence in the book affect the main characters?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)