|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man does Rosalind say she has to marry?
2. Where is Eleanor raised?
3. Where does Amory go after being rejected by Rosalind?
4. What is the last name of the person who drives Amory home from the funeral?
5. Who walks in on Rosalind and one of her suitors?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Amory say about all the social groups he has been a part of?
2. What happens when Amory gets to the hotel he was invited to while in Atlantic City?
3. What does Amory do after he is rejected by Rosalind?
4. What happens when Amory goes to quit his job after being rejected by Rosalind?
5. Who writes to Amory after he quits drinking, and what does the letter say?
6. What happens the second time Amory and Rosalind see each other?
7. What does Amory give a lecture about in the car on the way home from the funeral, and how is this received?
8. What does Amory talk about with the driver who takes him home from the funeral?
9. Where does Amory meet Rosalind, and what happens during this first meeting?
10. How do Eleanor and Amory feel about each other when they first meet, and what does this lead to?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion was a virtue that was needed and employed by some of the main characters. What are some of the main instances of this virtue, and how are those characters affected?
Essay Topic 3
How does Amory's relationship with Monsignor Darcy change over the course of the plot? What causes these changes, and what significance does this have to the outcome of the book?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)