|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amory talk to to help him figure out what to do after hearing about Rosalind's wedding?
2. How old is Cecelia?
3. What do Amory and Eleanor do together the night before Amory leaves?
4. Where is Eleanor raised?
5. How does Amory know Mrs. Lawrence?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who writes to Amory after he quits drinking, and what does the letter say?
2. What does one of Rosalind's former suitors say about her, and how does Amory feel about this?
3. How do Eleanor and Amory feel about each other when they first meet, and what does this lead to?
4. What happens when Amory gets to the hotel he was invited to while in Atlantic City?
5. What stops Amory's drinking, and how does this affect his life?
6. What does Amory talk about that makes Tom very uncomfortable, and why?
7. What happens when Amory is walking through the woods in Maryland?
8. What happens when Amory goes for a visit to Maryland for a few days?
9. What does Amory do at the very end of the book, and why?
10. What does Amory say about all the social groups he has been a part of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compassion was a virtue that was needed and employed by some of the main characters. What are some of the main instances of this virtue, and how are those characters affected?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides was a theme that was presented in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Love was a very important theme and motivating factor in this book. Which characters are most affected by this theme? Which relationships are the most significant to the plot and why?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)