|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Amory use to describe himself at the end of the book?
2. What language does Eleanor speak?
3. What does Amory try to do when he goes to quit his job after being rejected by Rosalind?
4. Who confronts Amory when he gets back to his apartment after being rejected by Rosalind?
5. What does Amory say the ideal world would be based on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Amory see in Atlantic City, and how does this make him feel?
2. Who writes to Amory after he quits drinking, and what does the letter say?
3. What does Amory talk about that makes Tom very uncomfortable, and why?
4. What does Eleanor have a reputation for?
5. What happens when Amory is walking through the woods in Maryland?
6. What happens when Amory's friend is about to get in trouble with the police in Atlantic City?
7. What does Mrs. Connage say to Rosalind when she sees a relationship budding between Amory and her daughter?
8. What do Amory and Eleanor do the night before Amory leaves?
9. What does Amory give a lecture about in the car on the way home from the funeral, and how is this received?
10. What happens when Amory goes to quit his job after being rejected by Rosalind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Amory endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice was a theme that was very prevalent in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)