|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Amory avoid after he stops drinking?
2. What does Amory talk to Eleanor about after her dangerous experience?
3. Where does Amory go after being rejected by Rosalind?
4. What do Amory's friends worry about him for after he is rejected by Rosalind?
5. What does Amory think about after hearing about Rosalind's wedding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Amory tries to kiss Eleanor for the first time?
2. What news does Amory receive when he gets back to New York after his trip to Atlantic City?
3. What does Mrs. Connage say to Rosalind when she sees a relationship budding between Amory and her daughter?
4. What stops Amory's drinking, and how does this affect his life?
5. What does Eleanor have a reputation for?
6. What does Amory give a lecture about in the car on the way home from the funeral, and how is this received?
7. What happens when Amory proposes to Rosalind?
8. What happens when Amory goes for a visit to Maryland for a few days?
9. What does Amory say about all the social groups he has been a part of?
10. What does Amory talk about that makes Tom very uncomfortable, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect the characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Beatrice was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
Power and Greed were two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)