|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Amory and Eleanor when Amory first tries to kiss her?
2. What do Amory and the person who gives him a ride home after the funeral argue about?
3. What illegal substance is the old acquaintance of Amory's hiding when they run into each other?
4. What do the police print in the newspaper as a punishment to the hotel where Amory's acquaintance broke the law?
5. What causes Tom to leave the apartment he shares with Amory?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Eleanor have a reputation for?
2. What does Amory give a lecture about in the car on the way home from the funeral, and how is this received?
3. What happens when Amory goes to quit his job after being rejected by Rosalind?
4. Who writes to Amory after he quits drinking, and what does the letter say?
5. What does the person in the car with Amory after the funeral say about his ideas, and who does it turn out to be?
6. What happens when Amory gets to the hotel he was invited to while in Atlantic City?
7. What does Mrs. Connage say to Rosalind when she sees a relationship budding between Amory and her daughter?
8. What law does Amory's friend break while in Atlantic City?
9. What happens when Amory's friend is about to get in trouble with the police in Atlantic City?
10. What does one of Rosalind's former suitors say about her, and how does Amory feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout the course of this book. What are some of these instances, and how does this affect the characters in these scenes?
Essay Topic 2
Beatrice was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 3
There were a few different social and political ideals mentioned and discussed in this book. What are some of these ideals, and how does their presence in the book affect the main characters?
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)