|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Amory sleep when he visits the seaside with his friends?
2. What does Amory do that makes him enjoy college again?
3. What club does Amory join after WWI starts?
4. What is included in the letter that Amory gets in the Interlude?
5. Who introduces Amory to writers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Amory is heading to Europe when he is 13?
2. What does Amory do in New York after Kerry joins the war?
3. What do Beatrice and Amory talk about when he returns to Lake Geneva?
4. What happens at Myra's party?
5. What do Amory and his friends choose to do at the end of Amory's junior year of college?
6. What does Amory ask of Tom in his letter to him during the Interlude?
7. What happens to Burne in Amory's junior year of college?
8. What does Amory do at Christmas after his fight with Isabelle?
9. How does meeting Tom affect Amory's life?
10. How is Amory raised by his mother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
What does Amory choose to do with his inherited estate, and why does he choose to take this path?
Essay Topic 3
Beatrice was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)