|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What season does Amory's father die?
2. How does Dick die?
3. What does Burne challenge the college newspaper about?
4. Who does Amory talk to before he leaves to go to his new school?
5. Who tells Amory's friend that Princeton is unhappy with his reform movement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Beatrice and Amory talk about when he returns to Lake Geneva?
2. What does Amory decide to do after his scary experience in New York?
3. What happens to Burne in Amory's junior year of college?
4. Who greets Amory after his scary experience in New York, and what do they do?
5. What do Amory and his friends choose to do at the end of Amory's junior year of college?
6. Where does Amory decide to go to college, and why?
7. How does Amory refer to himself and Tom when he writes to Tom during the Interlude?
8. What does Amory do in New York after Kerry joins the war?
9. What does Isabelle do after Dick's death?
10. What do Kerry and Amory do during their first college years for fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plot. Why might Fitzgerald have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)