|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has Burne become when Amory returns from his visit to Clara?
2. What brings Amory so much comfort on the Princeton campus?
3. What day of the week does Amory express his feelings to Clara?
4. What is the girl who Amory sees while visiting Minneapolis famous for?
5. Who introduces Amory to writers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Monsignor Darcy say in his letter to Amory during the Interlude?
2. What happens to Burne in Amory's junior year of college?
3. Who dies during the Interlude?
4. What does Amory ask of Tom in his letter to him during the Interlude?
5. Who greets Amory after his scary experience in New York, and what do they do?
6. What does Amory do when he goes to the front lines for the first time?
7. What happens at Myra's party?
8. What does Isabelle do after Dick's death?
9. What does Amory do in New York after Kerry joins the war?
10. What do Kerry and Amory do during their first college years for fun?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Beatrice was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
Compassion was a virtue that was needed and employed by some of the main characters. What are some of the main instances of this virtue, and how are those characters affected?
Essay Topic 3
Despair was a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)