|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave Sister Eve her scar?
2. In Chapter 27, what was the name of the rattlesnake?
3. Where did Powell Schofield used to have a farm?
4. What was the name of a boy healed at a revival in Chapter 23?
5. How old did Hawk Flies at Night say he was when he was first out on his own?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why were Sioux Indians hanged in 1862?
2. What was the Federal Kidnapping Act or the Lindberg Law?
3. What did the boys and Emmy see when they were camped near Le Sueur?
4. What did Sister Eve look like when she was speaking and singing in Chapter 23?
5. In Chapter 47, why did the boys and Emmy have to leave again?
6. Where did Sister Eve find Odie in Chapter 32, and what condition was he in?
7. How did Sister Eve persuade Albert and Mose to join the crusade?
8. In Chapter 24, what did Sister Eve say and request from Odie and Emmy when she saw them?
9. What did Mr. Schofield say about farming in Chapter 43?
10. What did the man who was sitting next to Odie at the crusade want, and how did Odie help?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Colors are sometimes associated with mood. What color would you assign to represent the overall mood of the book? Would you choose a different color at certain points of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Odie found a skeleton of an Indian boy. Why did the skeleton upset Mose? What did Mose insist on doing with the skeleton? What did the skeleton reveal about the importance of one’s ancestry?
Essay Topic 3
Both Albert and Odie thought there must be something deceitful about the revival. Why did Albert and Odie think there must be something deceitful about the revival? Why did they consider the people in the revival to be charlatans at first?
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)