|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Warren ask Jessica permission to do?
2. In act 2, why does Jessica tell Warren that she feels her instincts have stopped working?
3. According to Warren, his grandfather was what when he was young?
4. According to Dennis, who was he with besides Valerie?
5. In act 2, Warren tells Jessica that their night meant more to him than _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Jessica upset with Warren about Dennis's knowing what happened between them, and what does it reveal?
2. Why is Jessica so interested in Dennis's parents, and why is it significant?
3. What does Dennis tell Warren he did the night before when Warren arrives with coffee, and why it is significant?
4. What happened between Warren and Jessica at the hotel?
5. Why is Jessica reluctant to get involved with Warren?
6. How does Warren try to reassure Jessica about his feelings for her?
7. What does Warren do when Jessica first arrives that makes her uncomfortable, and why?
8. How does Jessica respond to Warren's offer of his grandfather's baseball cap?
9. Describe the opening scene of act 2 and its significance.
10. How does Dennis behave toward Jessica when she first arrives at the apartment in act 2?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the title of the play "This Is Our Youth" mean? How does the title influence the tone, characters, and plot of the play?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two characters, and discuss the role of conflict in the play.
1) Between a person and herself or himself.
2) Between two people.
3) Between a person and society.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the past as a concept in the play.
1) Identify two important historical events that influence the action in the play.
2) Choose two characters and discuss their relationships with their personal pasts.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)