|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan set out to herd the first group of sheep to the reservation range?
2. Where were Charlie and Bessie working when Ivan came home his second summer?
3. How many weeks before McGrath offered Charlie the job on another ranch had Ivan started high school?
4. Where did Bessie and Ivan go for a week and leave Charlie to herd the sheep alone at the reservation range?
5. When did Charlie learn what was causing his shortness of breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
2. Describe McGrath.
3. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
4. How did Mrs. Tidyman die?
5. What did a sheepwagon look like?
6. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
7. What was Ivan's first room of his own like at college?
8. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
9. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
10. What was McGrath's philosophy about hiring hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way that Ivan and his father adjusted to the death of Berneta.
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)