|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many new students were there at Ivan's new high school?
2. Near where did Ivan get a job his second summer of hiring out?
3. How did Ivan get to the place where he got a job his second summer of hiring out?
4. From where did Gertie Chadwick's family immigrate?
5. How many butts of hay would Charlie have to get stacked at Camas?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie almost shoot a man one day on the reservation range?
2. Describe the place where Ivan and other financial-aid students lived.
3. What did Harold Chadwick do?
4. What determined the distance that was traveled each day as the sheep were herded to the reservation range?
5. What did Ivan decide to do about college?
6. Describe McGrath.
7. What did Ivan make to help with herding the sheep to the reservation range?
8. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
9. Why did Ivan pitch from the mound at Wrigley Field?
10. What was McGrath's philosophy about hiring hands?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how first Charlie and then Charlie and Bessie made a family for Ivan. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the way that Ivan and his father adjusted to the death of Berneta.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)