|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Ivan finish his first year of college?
2. What was the diagnosis for Charlie's illness?
3. Near where did Ivan get a job his second summer of hiring out?
4. How far was the reservation range from Dupuyer?
5. As Ivan drove himself and Bessie back to the reservation range after a week away, how many years did he realize that he, Charlie, and Bessie had managed to stay together?
Short Essay Questions
1. What determined the distance that was traveled each day as the sheep were herded to the reservation range?
2. How did Mrs. Tidyman die?
3. Why did Charlie almost shoot a man one day on the reservation range?
4. What was it like sharing the trailer house when Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan were on the reservation range?
5. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
6. What happened that made Ivan decide he never wanted anything to do with sheep again during the second summer of herding the sheep on the reservation range?
7. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
8. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
9. What does Ivan imagine Charlie and Bessie doing as he and Carol go about their days together?
10. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the land played in people's lives in the book. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)