|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the second summer herding sheep on the reservation range, how long did it take to move the sheep four miles during a freak July storm?
2. What work did Charlie and Bessie do in Dupuyer during Ivan's last year of high school?
3. What old machine did Ivan like to play in and around at the Camas Ranch?
4. When did Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan set out to herd the first group of sheep to the reservation range?
5. When would lambing season begin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
2. What does Ivan imagine Charlie and Bessie doing as he and Carol go about their days together?
3. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
4. Describe Dupuyer.
5. What was it like sharing the trailer house when Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan were on the reservation range?
6. What was jacketing?
7. How did Charlie settle Ivan and Bessie down after McGrath tore into them for letting sheep die during Charlie's absence?
8. Describe the place where Ivan and other financial-aid students lived.
9. What determined the distance that was traveled each day as the sheep were herded to the reservation range?
10. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Charlie meant when he said, "As the fellow says, a fool and his money are soon parted, but ye can't even get introduced around here." Use examples from Charlie's and Ivan's lives.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,090 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)