|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much time would Ivan spend traveling to be able to spend five or six days in Montana in March?
2. In the year and a half after Ivan left Ringling, how many different places did he live?
3. How many men did Charlie hire for the hay harvest at the Camas?
4. What grade did Ivan get on one of his first quizzes in college?
5. Who wrote "Trains cross the continent in a swirl of dust and thunder"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
2. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
3. What did a sheepwagon look like?
4. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
5. What was Ivan's first room of his own like at college?
6. How would Ivan and Bessie try to save the sheep when they were plagued with ticks?
7. What happened that made Ivan decide he never wanted anything to do with sheep again during the second summer of herding the sheep on the reservation range?
8. If Charlie and Bessie parted ways, why would Ivan choose to live with his father?
9. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
10. What was Bessie's last day like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the different places that Charlie and Ivan lived.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast McGrath's hired hands Mickey and Rudy. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,009 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)