|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Ivan work at college?
2. Near what town did Ivan work that summer after his first year in college?
3. In what year did Ivan finish his first year of college?
4. In the year and a half after Ivan left Ringling, how many different places did he live?
5. Who was Ivan's advisor in the school of journalism?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie leave Bessie and Ivan alone to herd the sheep?
2. If Charlie and Bessie parted ways, why would Ivan choose to live with his father?
3. How did Charlie settle Ivan and Bessie down after McGrath tore into them for letting sheep die during Charlie's absence?
4. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
5. What did Harold Chadwick do?
6. What did a sheepwagon look like?
7. What does Ivan imagine Charlie and Bessie doing as he and Carol go about their days together?
8. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
9. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
10. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the title of the book This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)