|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year did Ivan finish his first year of college?
2. What river carved the southern boundary of the grazing land for the sheep on the reservation?
3. Where would Ivan have a layover when he took the train to and from Northwestern?
4. Who was Ivan's advisor in the school of journalism?
5. Where did Bessie, Charlie, and Ivan go to get groceries when they were on the reservation range?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ivan make to help with herding the sheep to the reservation range?
2. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
3. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
4. What did Ivan decide to do about college?
5. Why did Charlie almost shoot a man one day on the reservation range?
6. If Charlie and Bessie parted ways, why would Ivan choose to live with his father?
7. Why did Charlie leave Bessie and Ivan alone to herd the sheep?
8. What was McGrath's philosophy about hiring hands?
9. What was it like sharing the trailer house when Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan were on the reservation range?
10. What was jacketing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why to Ivan his high school years were a regiment of calm rather than the torchlit, raucous time that many high schoolers experience. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)