|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During Ivan's second summer of hiring out, where did wheat have to be taken twice a day?
2. How was Angus, Charlie's brother, injured the second summer that Ivan was back from college?
3. Near what town did Ivan work that summer after his first year in college?
4. Who was Ivan's advisor in the school of journalism?
5. Near what range was the Camas ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a sheepwagon look like?
2. Why did Ivan pitch from the mound at Wrigley Field?
3. Why did Charlie leave Bessie and Ivan alone to herd the sheep?
4. What happened when Charlie took a vocabulary test his second week of high school in Valier?
5. What determined the distance that was traveled each day as the sheep were herded to the reservation range?
6. What did Ivan decide to do about college?
7. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
8. What was Bessie's last day like?
9. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
10. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Charlie meant when he said, "As the fellow says, a fool and his money are soon parted, but ye can't even get introduced around here." Use examples from Charlie's and Ivan's lives.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss why Ivan says that "Memory is a kind of homesickness."
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)