|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the second summer herding sheep on the reservation range, how long did it take to move the sheep four miles during a freak July storm?
2. From where did Gertie Chadwick's family immigrate?
3. When did Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan set out to herd the first group of sheep to the reservation range?
4. What nationality were the sheep shearers who sheared the sheep when they were on the reservation range?
5. When did Ivan qualify for a room of his own in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
2. How did Mrs. Tidyman die?
3. What did Ivan make to help with herding the sheep to the reservation range?
4. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
5. What was jacketing?
6. What was Ivan's first room of his own like at college?
7. How did Charlie settle Ivan and Bessie down after McGrath tore into them for letting sheep die during Charlie's absence?
8. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
9. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
10. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether it was as difficult for Bessie to say goodbye to Charlie when he died as it was difficult for her to come and live with him and Ivan. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ivan's Doig ancestors and his mother's ancestors. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 968 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)