|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Before Ivan's grandmother came back into his life, how many different places had he lived with his father?
2. As Ivan drove himself and Bessie back to the reservation range after a week away, how many years did he realize that he, Charlie, and Bessie had managed to stay together?
3. Which dog learned to retrieve what Charlie and Ivan would shoot to eat when they were on the reservation range?
4. How far was the high school from Dupuyer?
5. What language did Ivan study that first year in college?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie settle Ivan and Bessie down after McGrath tore into them for letting sheep die during Charlie's absence?
2. What was Bessie's last day like?
3. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
4. What was Ivan's first room of his own like at college?
5. How would Ivan and Bessie try to save the sheep when they were plagued with ticks?
6. What does Ivan imagine Charlie and Bessie doing as he and Carol go about their days together?
7. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
8. What did Ivan decide to do about college?
9. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
10. Describe the place where Ivan and other financial-aid students lived.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ivan's Doig ancestors and his mother's ancestors. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,065 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)