|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military did Ivan serve in?
2. During Charlie's absence, how many days did Bessie and Ivan have to spend every daylight hour patrolling the sheep grazing on the reservation?
3. What project did McGrath want Charlie to do shortly after the sheep were settled on the grass at the reservation?
4. How far was the high school from Dupuyer?
5. In the fall after herding sheep on the reservation range, how many students were in Ivan's class at Valier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened that made Ivan decide he never wanted anything to do with sheep again during the second summer of herding the sheep on the reservation range?
2. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
3. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
4. Describe Dupuyer.
5. Describe the place where Ivan and other financial-aid students lived.
6. Why did Ivan pitch from the mound at Wrigley Field?
7. What was jacketing?
8. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
9. How did Mrs. Tidyman die?
10. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether it was as difficult for Bessie to say goodbye to Charlie when he died as it was difficult for her to come and live with him and Ivan. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what the Stockman and other bars meant to Charlie and his friends and how the place helped the men cope with the problems in their lives.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)