|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was it first noticed that Charlie was having breathing problems?
2. When did Ivan marry Carol Muller?
3. When did Charlie die?
4. How many days would the sheep graze on the reservation?
5. Where would Ivan have a layover when he took the train to and from Northwestern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Charlie settle Ivan and Bessie down after McGrath tore into them for letting sheep die during Charlie's absence?
2. What happened that made Ivan decide he never wanted anything to do with sheep again during the second summer of herding the sheep on the reservation range?
3. If Charlie and Bessie parted ways, why would Ivan choose to live with his father?
4. How did Mrs. Tidyman die?
5. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
6. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
7. What was McGrath's philosophy about hiring hands?
8. Why was Ivan asked if he had just come out of the military when he was a freshman in college?
9. What did Harold Chadwick do?
10. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of the title of the book This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why to Ivan his high school years were a regiment of calm rather than the torchlit, raucous time that many high schoolers experience. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)