|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did the Indian tribes retreat to in the early years of settlement after leaving the area where Ivan and his father lived?
2. Where did Tom and Bessie Ringer move from when they moved to Montana?
3. What was the name of the restaurant that Charlie and Ruth ran together?
4. How many Doigs are known to have gone off to the United States?
5. Where did one Doig family member emigrate other than the U.S.?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
2. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
3. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
4. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
5. What was boarding out?
6. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
7. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
8. Why was it hard for Ivan when he and his father stayed with Ivan's Uncle Angus and his family?
9. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
10. When did Bessie break her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how first Charlie and then Charlie and Bessie made a family for Ivan. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Charlie meant when he said, "As the fellow says, a fool and his money are soon parted, but ye can't even get introduced around here." Use examples from Charlie's and Ivan's lives.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)