|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Rose Gordon graduate from high school?
2. How many sheep could Matt Van Patton shear in a day?
3. How much did Charlie Doig weigh?
4. When did Ivan's grandfather come to the United States?
5. How big was the ranch that Charlie was the foreman of when he was just 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
2. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
3. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
4. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
5. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
6. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
7. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
8. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
9. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
10. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role that the land played in people's lives in the book. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Ivan means when he says that "Memory is a set of sagas we live by, much the way of the Norse wildmen in their bear shirts."
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)