|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what town in Montana, did Tom, Bessie and Berneta leave the train?
2. Who was the classmate that Ivan had met before when his dad was manning a haying crew at a valley ranch owned by her family?
3. What was the name of the restaurant that Charlie and Ruth ran together?
4. Where does the story begin?
5. Where did Bessie's family come from?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
2. Where did Ivan and his parents go during the last winter of World War II?
3. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
4. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
5. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
6. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
7. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
8. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
9. Describe Thomas Ringer.
10. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast the different places that Charlie and Ivan lived.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)