|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
2. Where did one Doig family member emigrate other than the U.S.?
3. In what type of shelter did the Ringer family live during their first Montana winter?
4. What months did Ivan and his parents live in the cabin mentioned in "Time Since."
5. When did Ivan's mother die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
2. Why were the clockless mountain summers over for Charlie Doig when Berneta had died?
3. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
4. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
5. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
6. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
7. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
8. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
9. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
10. What was boarding out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Charlie meant when he said, "As the fellow says, a fool and his money are soon parted, but ye can't even get introduced around here." Use examples from Charlie's and Ivan's lives.
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)