|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
2. How many students were in Ivan's first grade classroom?
3. What did Ivan receive as an early sixth birthday present?
4. How old was Berneta when Tom and Bessie moved to Montana?
5. Who was herding on Grassy Mountain when Charlie helped a scissorbill?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Ivan lived with his parents when he was six.
2. Why were the clockless mountain summers over for Charlie Doig when Berneta had died?
3. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
4. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
5. Describe Thomas Ringer.
6. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
7. Where did Ivan and his parents go during the last winter of World War II?
8. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
9. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
10. What was boarding out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why to Ivan his high school years were a regiment of calm rather than the torchlit, raucous time that many high schoolers experience. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Ivan's Doig ancestors and his mother's ancestors. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)