|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would the camptender bring when he came out to the Doig's cabin?
2. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
3. What does Ivan's father remember covered the slopes when it was just him and Ivan's mother?
4. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
5. How long might Ivan ride a sawbuck pack saddle as he followed his parents when they were herding?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
2. When did Bessie break her marriage?
3. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
4. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
5. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
6. Describe Thomas Ringer.
7. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
8. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
9. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
10. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast McGrath's style of managing men with Charlie's style of managing men.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)