Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Ivan's parents move camp the summer that they were married?
2. How old were the boys at school that Ivan could make flinch with his snowballs?
3. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
4. What was Bessie's father's name?
5. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
2. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
3. What was boarding out?
4. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
5. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
6. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
7. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
8. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
9. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
10. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the Stockman and other bars meant to Charlie and his friends and how the place helped the men cope with the problems in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ivan's Doig ancestors and his mother's ancestors. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)