|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Ivan receive as an early sixth birthday present?
2. What would the camptender bring when he came out to the Doig's cabin?
3. When did an earthquake damage the Old Auditorium in White Sulphur Springs?
4. When did Ivan's grandfather come to the United States?
5. How much did Charlie Doig weigh?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
2. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
3. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
4. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
5. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
6. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
7. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
8. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
9. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
10. When did Bessie break her marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Argue whether it was as difficult for Bessie to say goodbye to Charlie when he died as it was difficult for her to come and live with him and Ivan. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast McGrath's style of managing men with Charlie's style of managing men.
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)