|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many children did Ruth have after divorcing Charlie?
2. What Indian tribes used to live in the area where Ivan and his father lived?
3. How long might Ivan ride a sawbuck pack saddle as he followed his parents when they were herding?
4. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
5. Where did Ivan's father have a small scar?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
2. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
3. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
4. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
5. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
6. When did Bessie break her marriage?
7. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
8. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
9. Describe where Ivan lived with his parents when he was six.
10. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what the Stockman and other bars meant to Charlie and his friends and how the place helped the men cope with the problems in their lives.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)