|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
2. At what town in Montana, did Tom, Bessie and Berneta leave the train?
3. Where does the story begin?
4. What color was Ivan's hair as a boy?
5. What does Ivan's father remember covered the slopes when it was just him and Ivan's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe where Ivan lived with his parents when he was six.
2. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
3. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
4. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
5. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
6. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
7. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
8. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
9. When did Bessie break her marriage?
10. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Ivan means when he says that "Memory is a set of sagas we live by, much the way of the Norse wildmen in their bear shirts."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role that the land played in people's lives in the book. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast McGrath's hired hands Mickey and Rudy. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)