|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How tall was Ivan's father?
2. How many times did Ivan's parents move camp the summer that they were married?
3. How old was Ivan when his mother died?
4. When did Charlie help a scissorbill feed his cattle?
5. What color were Ruth's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Ivan's first room of his own like at college?
2. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
3. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
4. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
5. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
6. Why did Charlie almost shoot a man one day on the reservation range?
7. What did Harold Chadwick do?
8. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
9. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
10. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what Ivan means when he says that "Memory is a set of sagas we live by, much the way of the Norse wildmen in their bear shirts."
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast McGrath's hired hands Mickey and Rudy. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,194 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)