|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Ivan's parents move camp the summer that they were married?
2. How old were the boys at school that Ivan could make flinch with his snowballs?
3. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
4. What was Bessie's father's name?
5. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
2. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
3. What was boarding out?
4. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
5. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
6. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
7. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
8. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
9. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
10. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
Essay Topic 1
Argue whether it was as difficult for Bessie to say goodbye to Charlie when he died as it was difficult for her to come and live with him and Ivan. Use examples from the book to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Ivan's Doig ancestors and his mother's ancestors. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Ivan's relationship with his grandmother. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 1,153 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)