|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Ivan was in first grade, what color hair did the classmate have that Ivan had met before?
2. What would the camptender bring when he came out to the Doig's cabin?
3. How often would the camptender come out to the Doig's cabin?
4. Why did Ivan's mother tell a teacher not to use a well?
5. How old were the boys at school that Ivan could make flinch with his snowballs?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
2. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
3. Why were the clockless mountain summers over for Charlie Doig when Berneta had died?
4. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
5. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
6. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
7. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
8. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
9. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
10. What was boarding out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast McGrath's style of managing men with Charlie's style of managing men.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 824 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)