|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What months did Ivan and his parents live in the cabin mentioned in "Time Since."
2. What town did Tom and Bessie move to after the owner of the ranch where they worked died?
3. Who were Bessie's best friends growing up?
4. How old was Charles Doig when his wife died?
5. What did Ivan receive as an early sixth birthday present?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
2. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
3. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
4. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
5. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
6. Why were the clockless mountain summers over for Charlie Doig when Berneta had died?
7. Why did Ivan pitch from the mound at Wrigley Field?
8. What was jacketing?
9. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
10. What determined the distance that was traveled each day as the sheep were herded to the reservation range?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how first Charlie and then Charlie and Bessie made a family for Ivan. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss what Ivan means when he says that "Memory is a set of sagas we live by, much the way of the Norse wildmen in their bear shirts."
This section contains 1,360 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)