|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Ivan's father's job when Ivan and his parents lived in a cabin in the mountains?
2. How many bands of sheep did Ivan's father take on for McGrath?
3. What months did Ivan and his parents live in the cabin mentioned in "Time Since."
4. How many children did Ruth have after divorcing Charlie?
5. How often were Ivan's parents supposed to move when they were on the forest reserve?
Short Essay Questions
1. When were the first indications that Charlie was sick?
2. What did Ivan do the year after graduating from college?
3. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
4. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
5. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
6. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
7. What did Harold Chadwick do?
8. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
9. What happened that made Ivan decide he never wanted anything to do with sheep again during the second summer of herding the sheep on the reservation range?
10. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the way that Ivan and his father adjusted to the death of Berneta.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role that the land played in people's lives in the book. Use examples from This House of Sky.
This section contains 1,142 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)