Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times did Ivan's parents move camp the summer that they were married?
2. How old were the boys at school that Ivan could make flinch with his snowballs?
3. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
4. What was Bessie's father's name?
5. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
2. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
3. What was boarding out?
4. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
5. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
6. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
7. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
8. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
9. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
10. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the meaning of the title of the book This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)