|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Berneta when Tom and Bessie moved to Montana?
2. How many bands of sheep did Ivan's father take on for McGrath?
3. What creek can be heard from the cabin where Ivan and his parents lived?
4. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
5. Where did the Indian tribes retreat to in the early years of settlement after leaving the area where Ivan and his father lived?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
2. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
3. Describe Ivan's father as he looked in Ivan's photo album.
4. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
5. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
6. Describe where Ivan lived with his parents when he was six.
7. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
8. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
9. Why was it hard for Ivan when he and his father stayed with Ivan's Uncle Angus and his family?
10. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the marriages of Bessie and Tom, Charlie and Berneta, Charlie and Ruth, and Ivan and Carol. Use examples from This House of Sky.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from This House of Sky, discuss Ivan's relationship with his father.
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)