|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bessie when she and Tom moved to Montana?
2. How old was Ivan's grandfather when he came to the United States?
3. When did Tom and Bessie Ringer move to Montana?
4. Where does the story begin?
5. When did an earthquake damage the Old Auditorium in White Sulphur Springs?
Short Essay Questions
1. When did Bessie break her marriage?
2. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
3. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
4. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
5. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
6. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
7. What two things during Ivan's early weeks in the first grade set off any interest within him?
8. Describe Ivan's father as he looked in Ivan's photo album.
9. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
10. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast McGrath's hired hands Mickey and Rudy. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss why to Ivan his high school years were a regiment of calm rather than the torchlit, raucous time that many high schoolers experience. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, discuss why some people talked about Charlie Doig as if he were two separate men.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)