|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what town in Montana, did Tom, Bessie and Berneta leave the train?
2. When did Ivan's mother die?
3. In what type of shelter did the Ringer family live during their first Montana winter?
4. Where does the story begin?
5. From where did Ivan's ancestors emigrate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
2. Where did Ivan and his parents go during the last winter of World War II?
3. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
4. Why was it hard for Ivan when he and his father stayed with Ivan's Uncle Angus and his family?
5. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
6. Describe Thomas Ringer.
7. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
8. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
9. What good and bad luck did Charlie Doig, his mother, and brothers have in 1919-1920?
10. Why did Charlie decide to ask Bessie to help him with Ivan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events in Ivan's life that led him to choose the life he leads now. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how first Charlie and then Charlie and Bessie made a family for Ivan. Use examples from the book.
Essay Topic 3
Using examples from the book, compare and contrast McGrath's style of managing men with Charlie's style of managing men.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)