|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was the classmate that Ivan had met before when his dad was manning a haying crew at a valley ranch owned by her family?
2. How often were Ivan's parents supposed to move when they were on the forest reserve?
3. How tall was Ivan's father?
4. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
5. How many years of schooling did Bessie have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
2. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
3. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
4. What two sides were there to Charlie Doig?
5. Describe Thomas Ringer.
6. What was boarding out?
7. Describe Ivan's father as he looked in Ivan's photo album.
8. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
9. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
10. What surprised Ivan's teacher about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what Ivan means when he says that "Memory is a set of sagas we live by, much the way of the Norse wildmen in their bear shirts."
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the way that Ivan and his father adjusted to the death of Berneta.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the roles that Charlie, Bessie, and Ivan played changed over the years, and how Ivan became, in a sense, the parent. Use examples from the book.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)