|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would the camptender bring when he came out to the Doig's cabin?
(a) T-bone steak and a barrel of whiskey.
(b) More sheep.
(c) Groceries and mail.
(d) Orders from the ranch boss.
2. What is the elevation of the valley where Ivan and his father lived most of their lives?
(a) 2,147 feet.
(b) 1 mile above sea level.
(c) 6,192 feet.
(d) 3,145 feet.
3. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
(a) U.S. Attorney General.
(b) Secretary of the Navy Department.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of War.
4. Mount Edith is the name shown on maps, but what do those who live in the area call the mountain?
(a) Bitterroot Mountain.
(b) Old Baldy.
(c) Flathead Mountain.
(d) Granite Peak.
5. What did D. L. Doig raise as a hobby at his Montana ranch?
(a) Rhode Island Red chickens.
(d) Brown Leghorn chickens.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Ivan's mother tell a teacher not to use a well?
2. How many people lived in White Sulphur Springs when Ivan was a boy?
3. How many students were in Ivan's first grade classroom?
4. How much did Charlie Doig weigh?
5. Where did Tom and Bessie Ringer move from when they moved to Montana?
Short Essay Questions
1. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
2. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
3. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
4. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
5. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
6. Why was it hard for Ivan when he and his father stayed with Ivan's Uncle Angus and his family?
7. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
8. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
9. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
10. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)