|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From where did Ivan's ancestors emigrate?
2. When did Rose Gordon graduate from high school?
3. What was the main chore that Tom and Bessie performed at the ranch where they lived?
(a) Herd cattle.
(b) Milk cows.
(c) Mend fences.
(d) Herd sheep.
4. What did D. L. Doig raise as a hobby at his Montana ranch?
(a) Brown Leghorn chickens.
(c) Rhode Island Red chickens.
5. How old were the boys at school that Ivan could make flinch with his snowballs?
(a) Sixth graders.
(b) Fifth graders.
(c) Third graders.
(d) Fourth graders.
Short Answer Questions
1. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
2. What creek can be heard from the cabin where Ivan and his parents lived?
3. Where does the story begin?
4. How many herding dogs appear in the photographs of Ivan's parents?
5. How many bands of sheep did Ivan's father take on for McGrath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why wouldn't Charlie and Ruth end their marriage?
2. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
3. Describe Ivan's father as he looked in Ivan's photo album.
4. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
5. Describe where Ivan lived with his parents when he was six.
6. What did a forest ranger say about Ivan's mother?
7. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
8. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
9. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
10. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)