|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Montana in the early years was gold being flushed out of every gravel gulch?
(c) Smith River Valley.
2. What color was Ivan's hair as a boy?
3. How many miles from town was the ranch that Charlie and Ruth ran together after giving up the restaurant?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 30 miles.
4. How many sheep could Matt Van Patton shear in a day?
5. When Ivan was in first grade, what color hair did the classmate have that Ivan had met before?
Short Answer Questions
1. From where did Ivan's ancestors emigrate?
2. Who was the classmate that Ivan had met before when his dad was manning a haying crew at a valley ranch owned by her family?
3. How many birds could Ivan's father shoot at a time in the days before Ivan was born?
4. What mountain did Ivan and his parents live on?
5. What color were Ruth's eyes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened on Ivan's sixth birthday?
2. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
3. Where did Bessie work after Tom left and she ended their marriage?
4. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
5. Why did Bessie marry Tom Ringer?
6. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
7. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
8. When did Bessie break her marriage?
9. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
10. Describe Thomas Ringer.
This section contains 608 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)