|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
(a) Let him play in the creek.
(b) Play cards with him.
(c) Read to him.
(d) Let him play in the trees.
2. Where did one Doig family member emigrate other than the U.S.?
3. How old was Berneta when Tom and Bessie moved to Montana?
(a) 4 months.
(b) 6 months.
(c) 1 years old.
(d) 2 years old.
4. What did Ivan receive as an early sixth birthday present?
(a) Pocket knife.
(b) A few marbles.
(c) A book.
(d) Bow and arrows.
5. Why did Ivan's mother tell a teacher not to use a well?
(a) There was a dead animal in the well.
(b) There was a dead snake in the well.
(c) There was a dead cat in the well.
(d) There were mice in the well.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the story begin?
2. How big was the ranch that Charlie was the foreman of when he was just 25?
3. How many students were in Ivan's first grade classroom?
4. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
5. What would the camptender bring when he came out to the Doig's cabin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
2. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
3. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
4. Why was it hard for Ivan when he and his father stayed with Ivan's Uncle Angus and his family?
5. Describe Ivan's father as he looked in Ivan's photo album.
6. Can Ivan see the sickness to come in the photos of his mother?
7. What business did Charlie and Ruth run together?
8. Why is the name "Smith River" a misnomer?
9. What is the one thing that Ivan cannot remember about his mother?
10. What did Ivan look like as a boy?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)