|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in Montana in the early years was gold being flushed out of every gravel gulch?
(d) Smith River Valley.
2. In the 1890s, what did one Doig family member do for a living until he could size up the Montana countryside?
3. What was the main chore that Tom and Bessie performed at the ranch where they lived?
(a) Mend fences.
(b) Herd cattle.
(c) Herd sheep.
(d) Milk cows.
4. When did Charlie go to work at the Dogie ranch?
(a) About 1920.
(b) About 1929.
(c) Around 1925.
(d) About 1930.
5. What months did Ivan and his parents live in the cabin mentioned in "Time Since."
(a) May and June.
(b) April and May.
(c) June and July.
(d) March and April.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Bessie when she and Tom moved to Montana?
2. What was the name of the restaurant that Charlie and Ruth ran together?
3. How many bands of sheep did Ivan's father take on for McGrath?
4. What is the elevation of the valley where Ivan and his father lived most of their lives?
5. When Charlie was helping a scissorbill, who began beating a horse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about Ruth from the other ranch cooks?
2. What did D.L. Doig raise after his ranch began to prosper?
3. What was wrong with the sheep when Charlie was off fencing?
4. Describe the house on the Jensen ranch.
5. What was jacketing?
6. What was Ivan's pattern of life while he was in White Sulphur Springs and Bessie and Charlie were on the Camas ranch?
7. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
8. Describe Thomas Ringer.
9. What would Ivan do when he had a layover during the train trip to and from Northwestern?
10. What was McGrath's philosophy about hiring hands?
This section contains 866 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)