|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many people lived in White Sulphur Springs when Ivan was a boy?
2. What is the elevation of the valley where Ivan and his father lived most of their lives?
(a) 1 mile above sea level.
(b) 3,145 feet.
(c) 2,147 feet.
(d) 6,192 feet.
3. When was the Old Auditorium built in White Sulphur Springs?
4. What was the name of the pet cat that Ivan's parents had?
(b) Pete Olson.
(c) Billy Bob.
(d) William Tell.
5. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
(a) Secretary of War.
(b) U.S. Attorney General.
(c) Secretary of the Treasury.
(d) Secretary of the Navy Department.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ivan's father remember covered the slopes when it was just him and Ivan's mother?
2. In old photos, what type of hat did Ivan's father wear?
3. How often were Ivan's parents supposed to move when they were on the forest reserve?
4. How many times did Ivan's parents move camp the summer that they were married?
5. How many bands of sheep did Ivan's father take on for McGrath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Ivan and his parents go during the last winter of World War II?
2. How does a teacher who taught Ivan's mother describe an incident from her life?
3. Describe Thomas Ringer.
4. Who asked Charlie and Ivan to move in with him so Ivan could start school?
5. What was boarding out?
6. Why did Ivan's father and Cliff decide to leave an outfit?
7. When did Bessie break her marriage?
8. Why were the clockless mountain summers over for Charlie Doig when Berneta had died?
9. Why would Ivan's father work for McGrath?
10. Describe Ivan's mother as she is seen in the photo album that he has.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)