|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many miles from town was the ranch that Charlie and Ruth ran together after giving up the restaurant?
(a) 5 miles.
(b) 25 miles.
(c) 10 miles.
(d) 30 miles.
2. How many children did Ruth have after divorcing Charlie?
3. What color were the dogs that appear with the photographs of Ivan's parents?
(b) White and black.
(c) Black and tan.
4. Who was herding on Grassy Mountain when Charlie helped a scissorbill?
(a) George Washington Hopkins.
(b) Mulligan John.
(c) Deaf John.
(d) Diamond Tony.
5. How many sheep could Matt Van Patton shear in a day?
6. Where does the story begin?
(a) Rocky Mountains.
(b) Bridger Range.
(c) Beartooth Mountains.
(d) Belt Mountains.
7. How many years of schooling did Bessie have?
8. Who was the first Doig to die in Montana?
(a) Peter Doig.
(b) D. L. Doig.
(c) Andrew Doig.
(d) Jack Doig.
9. How many rooms did the cabin have that Ivan lived in with his parents?
10. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
(a) Let him play in the trees.
(b) Read to him.
(c) Play cards with him.
(d) Let him play in the creek.
11. What color were Bessie's eyes?
12. What time of day did Ivan's mother pass away?
13. In old photos, what type of hat did Ivan's father wear?
(a) Boonie hat.
(b) Stockman's hat.
(c) Baseball cap.
(d) Cowboy hat.
14. Where did Tom and Bessie Ringer move from when they moved to Montana?
15. How would Ivan get to school every morning when he was in first grade?
(b) Hitched a ride with a neighbor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the pet cat that Ivan's parents had?
2. What color were Berneta's eyes?
3. For whom was the Smith River named during the era of the Lewis and Clark expedition?
4. Where did the Indian tribes retreat to in the early years of settlement after leaving the area where Ivan and his father lived?
5. Mount Edith is the name shown on maps, but what do those who live in the area call the mountain?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)