|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the name of the pet cat that Ivan's parents had?
(b) Billy Bob.
(c) William Tell.
(d) Pete Olson.
2. What would Ivan's mother do to keep him quiet and cool on hot afternoons?
(a) Read to him.
(b) Let him play in the trees.
(c) Play cards with him.
(d) Let him play in the creek.
3. What months did Ivan and his parents live in the cabin mentioned in "Time Since."
(a) May and June.
(b) March and April.
(c) June and July.
(d) April and May.
4. In the 1890s, what did one Doig family member do for a living until he could size up the Montana countryside?
5. How often were Ivan's parents supposed to move when they were on the forest reserve?
(a) Once a month.
(b) About every day.
(c) Every two weeks.
(d) Once a week.
6. Who was herding on Grassy Mountain when Charlie helped a scissorbill?
(a) Diamond Tony.
(b) Deaf John.
(c) George Washington Hopkins.
(d) Mulligan John.
7. At times, how much would Bessie weigh?
(a) 165 pounds.
(b) 135 pounds.
(c) 150 pounds.
(d) 170 pounds.
8. What was the name of the ranch where Tom and Bessie found work?
(a) Moss Agate.
(b) Battle Creek.
(c) Smith Ranch.
9. How many years of schooling did Bessie have?
10. In old photos, what type of hat did Ivan's father wear?
(a) Stockman's hat.
(b) Cowboy hat.
(c) Baseball cap.
(d) Boonie hat.
11. What was Ivan's father's job when Ivan and his parents lived in a cabin in the mountains?
(a) Sheep herder.
(b) Ranch hand.
(d) Cow herder.
12. How big was the ranch that Charlie was the foreman of when he was just 25?
(a) 27,000 acres.
(b) 75,000 acres.
(c) 35,000 acres.
(d) 45,000 acres.
13. How old was Ivan's grandfather when he came to the United States?
14. Who brought Charlie and Ivan to live with his family after Berneta's funeral?
(a) Pete McCabe.
(b) Charlie's youngest brother.
(c) Ivan's grandfather.
(d) Angus, Charlie's favorite brother.
15. During what decade did settlers first come into Ivan's area of Montana?
Short Answer Questions
1. The summer they were married, near where did Ivan's father and mother live?
2. When Charlie was helping a scissorbill, who began beating a horse?
3. At what town in Montana, did Tom, Bessie and Berneta leave the train?
4. How old was Berneta when Tom and Bessie moved to Montana?
5. Where in Montana in the early years was gold being flushed out of every gravel gulch?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)