Chapter 1, Time Since
• Ivan Doig's mother, Berneta Doig, died at the age of thirty-one on his sixth birthday, June 27, 1945.
• Ivan's father, Charles Doig, was a herder and he, Ivan, and Ivan's mother lived in isolated herding cabins.
• Once a week a camptender from the home ranch would bring them supplies and mail.
• Ivan's father would tell him stories of herding before Ivan was born and how the slopes would be covered with grouse.
• during Charles and Berneta's first summer on Grassy, they moved camp fifty-eight times in sixty days.
• Ivan has the photograph albums from those days.
• His father looks stronger and more handsome than when Ivan knew him.
• His mother in the photos looks frail and slim.
• He cannot remember his mother's voice, but he can remember the voices of those who have told him stories about her.
• Even in Ivan's later years, there are sights, sounds...
This section contains 4,201 words
(approx. 15 pages at 300 words per page)