|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln tell Hooker not to do in "There is No Eligible Route for Us into Richmond"?
2. When was the Wade-Davis bill passed according to "Unprepared to Be Inflexibly Committed to Any Single Plan"?
3. Who was "Constantly Denounced and Opposed" intended for?
4. What did Carl Schurz blame Lincoln's administration for according to "I Do Not See That Their Superiority of Success has Been So Marked"?
5. What did Lincoln support in "It Works Doubly"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lincoln pocket veto?
2. Why are elections necessary based on an address written on November 10, 1864?
3. What trade did Lincoln reject?
4. What did Lincoln do to spare the Douglas family?
5. What did Lincoln declare in January 1863 according to "A New Birth in Freedom"?
6. What became a contentious issue of the Reconstruction era?
7. What did Lincoln demonstrate in his letter to General Don Carlos Buell according to "We Cannot Escape History"?
8. What should Hooker's chief aim be according to another letter to Hooker?
9. What does Lincoln stress about the war to a group of soldiers?
10. What was Lincoln under increasing pressure to do by July 1864?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the Douglas-Lincoln debate and how Lincoln used these debates to hone his rhetoric against Douglas and the pro-slavery stance.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Lincoln's decisions at the start of the Civil War and why war was not officially declared.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the role of General Robert E. Lee in the Civil War and the significance of his surrender at the end of the war.
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)