|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was "The Heaviest Blow Yet Dealt to the Rebellion" intended for?
2. What offer did Lincoln reject in "Few Things are So Troublesome"?
3. Who was "But You Must Act" intended for?
4. When was the Emancipation Proclamation published according to "Are, and Henceforth Shall Be Free"?
5. Who was "I Am Distressed Immeasurably" intended for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Lincoln convinced of in August 1864?
2. What was Lincoln under increasing pressure to do by July 1864?
3. How does Lincoln respond to Illinois Congressman Isaac Arnold?
4. Why are elections necessary based on an address written on November 10, 1864?
5. What writ did Lincoln suspend?
6. What became a contentious issue of the Reconstruction era?
7. What did Lincoln attempt to persuade Congress to do?
8. What did Lincoln issue in September 1862?
9. What does Lincoln make the Union synonymous with in December 1862?
10. What did Lincoln declare in January 1863 according to "A New Birth in Freedom"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the Douglas-Lincoln debate and how Lincoln used these debates to hone his rhetoric against Douglas and the pro-slavery stance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Lincoln's election affected the South's decision to secede.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the impact of the Kansas-Nebraska Act of 1854 and why Lincoln found an opponent in Stephen Douglas.
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)