|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln say was one of government's most important roles in "The Legitimate Object of Government"?
2. What was Lincoln seeking in "I am Not the First Choice of Many"?
3. What did Lincoln see as advantageous when writing "I Accept the Nomination"?
4. What kind of education did Lincoln mostly rely on according to the "Preface"?
5. What theory is Lincoln supporting in "Opens the Way for All"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the legitimate object of government according to Lincoln in "Half Slave and Half Free"?
2. What did Lincoln chastise General David Hunter for?
3. What did Lincoln confess to Senator Lyman Trumbull?
4. What did Lincoln order?
5. What has attracted historians to Abraham Lincoln according to the "Preface"?
6. What did the South do after Lincoln's election in "The Perpetuity of Popular Government"?
7. What policies does Lincoln advocate in his letter to the editor of the Sangamo Journal in 1836?
8. What did Lincoln stress in his inaugural address?
9. What did a political opponent charge Lincoln with in 1846?
10. What effect did Lincoln's speech in February 1860 have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the Reconstruction era in the south and the problems Lincoln addressed regarding the Reconstruction.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss John Wilkes Booth's concerns regarding President Abraham Lincoln's rhetoric and political strategies.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Lincoln's conclusions about the three things necessary to bring an end to the war.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)