|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Lincoln slow to recognize the true gravity of in "There is No Cause for Such Fears"?
2. What did the Whigs support according to "Bow to It I Never Will"?
3. When did Lincoln break his engagement to Mary Todd according to "The Most Miserable Man Living"?
4. What does Lincoln rail against in "It is the End of Us"?
5. What did Lincoln want to wait for before deciding to take action according to "The Most Prompt, and Efficient Means"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What concerns did Lincoln have regarding the Maryland state legislature?
2. What effect did Lincoln's speech in February 1860 have?
3. What did Lincoln order?
4. What has attracted historians to Abraham Lincoln according to the "Preface"?
5. Why did Lincoln criticize James K. Polk?
6. What did Lincoln confess to Senator Lyman Trumbull?
7. What did a political opponent charge Lincoln with in 1846?
8. What characteristics does Lincoln consider in the ideal lawyer?
9. What kind of existence did Lincoln's family lead?
10. What did Lincoln write in 1832 according to '"Peculiar Ambition"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the Douglas-Lincoln debate and how Lincoln used these debates to hone his rhetoric against Douglas and the pro-slavery stance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Abraham Lincoln's personal background and why it may have influenced his belief in the free labor theory.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the significance of profiteering during the Civil War and its impact on slaves.
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)