|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "I am Young and Unknown" written?
2. What was considered improper at the time of the writing of "The Taste is in My Mouth"?
3. Who did Lincoln campaign for according to "Can We Not Come Together, for the Future"?
4. What was to become of Alexander Stephens according to the editor?
5. Who was "More Painful Than Pleasant" intended for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Lincoln chastise General David Hunter for?
2. What effect did Lincoln's speech in February 1860 have?
3. What does Lincoln contrast the "mud-sill" theory with?
4. What does Lincoln state about his belief in racial equality?
5. What did Lincoln order?
6. Who was Grace Bedell and what did she suggest to Lincoln?
7. What did the South do after Lincoln's election in "The Perpetuity of Popular Government"?
8. What did a political opponent charge Lincoln with in 1846?
9. What policies does Lincoln advocate in his letter to the editor of the Sangamo Journal in 1836?
10. What does the autobiographical sketch of Lincoln provide based on the "Prologue"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the significance of the Douglas-Lincoln debate and how Lincoln used these debates to hone his rhetoric against Douglas and the pro-slavery stance.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Lincoln's election affected the South's decision to secede.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact that criticism had on President Lincoln and what steps he took to counter criticism.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)