|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the election of Republicans pave the way for according to "The New Reckoning"?
(a) The work of reconstruction.
(b) The passage of the the 13th amendment.
(c) Continuation of the war.
(d) The passage of the War Time Spending bill.
2. What does Lincoln want in "I Expect to Maintain this Contest"?
(a) More money.
(b) More troops.
(c) More supplies.
(d) More support from government leaders.
3. What did Lincoln refuse to do in "Will Be Received and Considered"?
(a) Create another army.
(b) Negotiate with the South.
(c) Abolish conscription.
(d) Increase war spending.
4. Why was Hooker supposed to pursue Lee's army according to "There is No Eligible Route for Us into Richmond"?
(a) To prevent Confederate troops from resting.
(b) To prevent Confederate troops from voting.
(c) To prevent Confereate troops from being transferred West.
(d) To prevent Confederate troops from working in cotton fields.
5. When was "The New Reckoning" written?
(a) December 1863.
(b) December 1862.
(c) December 1864.
(d) December 1865.
6. How did Lincoln react to the reception of the Emancipation Proclamation according to "Breath Alone Kills No Rebels" ?
(a) With no enthusiasm.
(b) With a lot of enthusiasm.
(c) With anger.
(d) Without concern.
7. What offer did Lincoln reject in "Few Things are So Troublesome"?
(a) Trading corn.
(b) Trading cotton.
(c) Trading prisoners.
(d) Trading iron.
8. Who does Lincoln thank in "Not Best to Swap Horses When Crossing Streams"?
(a) The anti-slavery league.
(b) The Republican party.
(c) The Union League.
(d) The Democratic party.
9. Why wasn't "The Administration Will Not Be Re-Elected" sent by Lincoln?
(a) It was meant as a reminder.
(b) He lost it.
(c) He won the general election.
(d) An intern stole it.
10. What compelled Lincoln to take the steps leading to war and the Emancipation Proclamation according to "If Slavery is Not Wrong, Nothing is Wrong"?
(a) His personal view.
(b) The view most popular according to a recent survey.
(c) The Constitution.
(d) The view that he thought would have him reelected.
11. What did Lincoln point to as the reason for the war continuing in "The Curses of Heaven"?
(a) Jefferson Davis' unwillingness to rejoin the Union.
(b) The south was giving conditions for surrender.
(c) War was good for business.
(d) The war bonds kept the south well stocked.
12. What did Lincoln want border states to accept according to "The Incidents of the War Cannot Be Avoided"?
(c) Union rule.
(d) Radical beliefs.
13. How is "A New Birth of Freedom" better known as?
(a) The Gettysburg Address.
(b) The Grand Finale.
(c) The Wellington Speech.
(d) Lincoln's First Commencement Adress.
14. What was "I Can Not Consent to Suspend the Draft" a response to?
(a) Riots in Washington.
(b) Riots in Portland.
(c) Riots in Philadelphia.
(d) Riots in New York.
15. What state did Lincoln praise for abolishing slavery?
(d) North Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Lincoln want African Americans to do after the war according to "The Ban is Still Upon You"?
2. When was the Emancipation Proclamation published according to "Are, and Henceforth Shall Be Free"?
3. What were the Unionists calling the army to go easy on according to "Leaving Any Available Card Unplayed"?
4. What was in the works by August of 1862 according to the editor?
5. What did Lincoln support in "It Works Doubly"?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)