|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lincoln want in "I Expect to Maintain this Contest"?
(a) More supplies.
(b) More money.
(c) More support from government leaders.
(d) More troops.
2. How did Lincoln react to the reception of the Emancipation Proclamation according to "Breath Alone Kills No Rebels" ?
(a) With anger.
(b) With a lot of enthusiasm.
(c) With no enthusiasm.
(d) Without concern.
3. What was the war about according to "Equal Privileges in the Race of Life"?
(a) Teaching the south a lesson.
(b) The prosperity of future generations.
(c) Lincoln's legacy.
(d) Abolishing slavery.
4. What was excluded from the Emancipation Proclamation according to "Give Up All Footing Upon Constitution or Law"?
(a) Several personal friends of Lincoln.
(b) Several states.
(c) Several state counties.
(d) Several Republican financial backers.
5. What military stalemate did Lincoln address in "An Idea I Have Been Trying to Repudiate for Quite a Year" ?
(b) North Carolina.
6. When was "Give Me a Tangible Nucleus" written?
(a) December 1863.
(b) November 1863.
(c) October 1863.
(d) January 1864.
7. What claims did Lincoln dismiss in "Broken Eggs Cannot Be Mended"?
(a) A black army marching to Washington.
(b) The whites farmers leaving for Mexico.
(c) The newly freed slaves rising to kill all the whites in the southern states.
(d) The blacks electing their own president.
8. What did Lincoln feel about the new commander of the Union Armies?
(a) He had complete confidence in him.
(b) He was nominated to please Congress.
(c) He could not trust his judgement.
(d) He gives him the benefit of the doubt.
9. What happened to white Union commanders leading black soldiers captured by Confederates according to "The Same Protection to All Its Soldiers"?
(a) They were forced to sign confession letters.
(b) They were forced to serve in the Confederate army.
(c) They were sent home.
(d) They were killed.
10. Who does Lincoln congratulate in "You Were Right, and I Was Wrong"?
(a) General Grant.
(b) General Sherman.
(c) General Marshall.
(d) General McClellan.
11. Why was Hooker relieved of duties shortly after "Lee's Army Is Your True Objective Point"?
(a) He refused to use intelligence gathered by a woman.
(b) He refused to take Richmond.
(c) He refused to pursue Lee.
(d) He refused to stop and rest.
12. What compelled Lincoln to take the steps leading to war and the Emancipation Proclamation according to "If Slavery is Not Wrong, Nothing is Wrong"?
(a) The view that he thought would have him reelected.
(b) The Constitution.
(c) The view most popular according to a recent survey.
(d) His personal view.
13. Who was "Constantly Denounced and Opposed" intended for?
(a) Mark Stanberg.
(b) Otto beruk.
(c) Robert Cramn.
(d) Isaac Arnold.
14. Who did Lincoln write "A Single Half-Defeat" for?
(a) French author.
(b) A politician.
(c) A friend.
(d) An Illinois reporter.
15. What type of political opponent did Lincoln pursue during the war according to "Indispensable to the Public Safety"?
(a) War opponents.
(b) Financial opponents.
(c) Social opponents.
(d) Reform opponents.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was "The New Reckoning" written?
2. Who does Lincoln thank in "Not Best to Swap Horses When Crossing Streams"?
3. Who was in command of the Union armies in April of 1864?
4. What did Lincoln tell Hooker not to do in "There is No Eligible Route for Us into Richmond"?
5. Who was "But You Must Act" intended for?
This section contains 537 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)