* The "Preface" explains that Abraham Lincoln was largely self-educated and his literary abilities were extraordinary.
* Lincoln's writings display his knowledge of classic texts.
* Historians are drawn to Lincoln's rhetorical skills.
* In the "Prologue" Lincoln provided an autobiographical sketch to Jesse Fell, an Illinois newspaperman.
* Lincoln provided little information in the sketch and was guarded about private details.
* Lincoln was born in Hardin County, Kentucky in 1809.
* Lincoln led a rural existence with little education past grammar school.
* Lincoln worked on the farm until age 21 years old and went to Illinois.
* Lincoln served as a Captain of Volunteers in the Black Hawk War and rose the ranks.
* Lincoln was elected to the House of Congress in 1846.
* In "Peculiar Ambition" Lincoln writes to the people of Sangamo County in 1832 to introduce himself before running for public office.
* Lincoln discussed how everyone should receive a moderate...
This section contains 2,406 words
(approx. 9 pages at 300 words per page)