|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor give to Annelies to help her sleep?
2. Who does Maiko belong to?
3. What score did Minke receive on the final exams?
4. What is Minke's response in Chapter 7, to his father's request.
5. Who does Annelies confess raped her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Minke asks his teachers about the Association Theory?
2. Who is Fatso?
3. Why is Minke warned to stay away from Magda Peters?
4. Why, in Chapter 17, is Minke expelled from school?
5. Who reveals that Minke wrote the article in Chapter 13 and who comes to his defense?
6. What causes Minke to return to Annelies in Chapter 11?
7. Why is Minke able to graduate school despite his expulsion?
8. Why does Minke have a headache at the start of Chapter 11?
9. What happens when Robert returns home to Nyai in Chapter 10?
10. Why does Nyai wake Minke up in the early morning in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does colonization play in Toer's story? Choose two characters and explain their opinion of colonization and how it influences their lives.
Essay Topic 2
How does Toer address the theme of growing up in his book? Choose two examples of examples of growth and explain how these examples contribute to the theme of coming of age.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Minke. How does Minke change from the beginning to the end of the book? Why? Do you believe Minke is innocent at the start of the book? Choose one other character in the book (other than Annelies and Nyai) and explain their relationship with Minke.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)