|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Minke have to travel to in Chapter 7?
2. What psychological conclusion does Dr. Martinet draw in Chapter 15?
3. How does Minke's relationship with his friends change in Chapter 13?
4. How does Annelies react to the letters Minke reads her?
5. Who does Minke see in Chapter 16 that causes him to worry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the bupati ask Minke to do for him in Chapter 7?
2. What happens when Robert returns home to Nyai in Chapter 10?
3. What happens when Minke asks his teachers about the Association Theory?
4. What is the debate Minke faces between returning to Annelies' home and staying with the de la Croix family?
5. Who is Dr. Martinet and what does Minke learn from him?
6. Who is involved in a chase in Chapter 16 and what does the chase lead to?
7. Who is Fatso?
8. Who is the bupati and why is Minke brought to him?
9. Why, in Chapter 17, is Minke expelled from school?
10. Why does Minke have a headache at the start of Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the plot and subplot in Toer's book. Be sure to provide the definitions for both terms in your answer. How does Toer effectively keep the reader engaged without confusing them?
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of Jean Marais' army status? Do Minke or Marais think there is a problem with it at the time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Minke and Nyai. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that Nyai helps Minke and vice versa.
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)