|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minke's school teach him?
2. What does Annelies ask about the letters in Chapter 4?
3. Where is Minke's birth place located?
4. What does May see on her walk in Chapter 3?
5. What does Annelies tell Minke about her father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Minke conflicted over the social status of Annelies' family?
2. What does Annelies find in Minke's luggage and what does Minke tell her about the items?
3. What illness does Annelies suffer from in Chapter 4? How is she cured?
4. How does Minke feel about Annelies at the start of Chapter 3 and what does he believe influences him to feel this way?
5. What dreams does Minke reveal he has for his future in Chapter 4?
6. How does the narrator ensure that this story could apply to any young Indonesian?
7. Describe Minke's education.
8. Who does Minke speak to at the start of Chapter 6 and how does the conversation go?
9. What is Nyai's response to Minke's article?
10. What advances does Minke say have been seen on the island.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the setting effect the reader's experience of the story? Does it matter that the story is set in another country? Describe the setting of the story of you choice and explain how it is intertwined with the plot.
Essay Topic 2
What impact did Magda have on Minke's life? What suggestion did his teacher have that resulted in notoriety for Minke?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Minke and Nyai. What role does each person fill in the other person's life? Explain two ways that Nyai helps Minke and vice versa.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)