|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Annelies find the three unread letters?
2. What does Annelies ask about the letters in Chapter 4?
3. Who is the narrator in Chapter 6?
4. How accurate does the narrator suggest his story is?
5. Who can Minke not get out of his mind in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of Jean Marais being a private first class in the army?
2. How is foreshadowing used in Chapter 4?
3. Describe Jean Marais' painting and what he thinks it means.
4. What does Nyai show Minke in Chapter 6 and what is she suspicious about?
5. Who does Minke speak to at the start of Chapter 6 and how does the conversation go?
6. What does the term "historical fiction" mean?
7. How did the narrator write his story? What technique did he use?
8. What is Mr. Mellema's household like?
9. Who is the narrator of "This Earth Of Mankind"?
10. What does Annelies tell Minke about Nyai in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define the term climax and decide where the point of climax is within the plot. Explain how the event fits the definition of climax and site examples from the book.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Dutch and Europeans and the role they play in Toer's story. What aspects of Indonesian life do they control?
Essay Topic 3
What impact did Magda have on Minke's life? What suggestion did his teacher have that resulted in notoriety for Minke?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)