|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the narrator in Chapter 6?
2. What does Nyai request in the letter she sends to Minke?
(a) That he return to school.
(b) That he visit.
(c) That he attend church with them.
(d) That he never return.
3. Who is Robert Suurhof?
(a) Minke's father.
(b) A classmate.
(c) A teacher.
(d) A lawyer.
4. What does Annelies ask about the letters in Chapter 4?
(a) If he has a girlfriend.
(b) Why Minke hasn't read them.
(c) How someone knew her address.
(d) Why someone would send mail to Minke.
5. Why is Minke at odds with his school?
(a) He is a native.
(b) He cheated.
(c) He broke a window.
(d) He is failing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Minke confused about concubines?
2. What does Minke dream about doing with his stories?
3. Where is Minke's birth place located?
4. Who does the person in the article in Chapter 6 resemble?
5. What does Minke say he would rather do than read the letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Minke's education.
2. Describe Jean Marais' painting and what he thinks it means.
3. What dreams does Minke reveal he has for his future in Chapter 4?
4. What does Annelies tell Minke about Nyai in Chapter 5?
5. What is colonization and how does it effect this story?
6. How did the narrator write his story? What technique did he use?
7. What event changed Herman Mellema forever?
8. How does the narrator ensure that this story could apply to any young Indonesian?
9. What is the significance of Jean Marais being a private first class in the army?
10. Who says in Chapter 3, "love is beautiful, Minke, very, very beautiful, but perhaps disaster follows. You must dare to face its consequences", and what does this quote mean in the context of the story?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)