|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What photo does Minke express appreciation for In Chapter 2?
(a) One of an ugly man.
(b) One of his father.
(c) One of a beautiful lady.
(d) One of a dolphin.
2. In what year of school did Annelies' father change?
(a) Middle school.
(c) High school.
(d) Primary school.
3. What does Minke compare his knowledge of Japan to in Chapter 6?
(a) The Indies.
4. What does Minke feel is necessary to reveal to the reader?
(a) How he wrote the book.
(b) His parents income.
(c) His address.
(d) How he imagined the characters.
5. What is Nyai's real name?
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose story does Minke tell at dinner in Chapter 4?
2. Who is Mr. Mellema?
3. Why did Annelies not return to school for a period of time?
4. What type of girl does Robert Suurhof want to find?
5. Who does Nyai think Minke should write about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the conversation with Nyai in Chapter 6 reveal about Minke's education?
2. How does Nyai treat Minke? Why might she treat him this way?
3. What is colonization and how does it effect this story?
4. How does Minke feel about Annelies at the start of Chapter 3 and what does he believe influences him to feel this way?
5. Who is the narrator of "This Earth Of Mankind"?
6. Who says in Chapter 3, "love is beautiful, Minke, very, very beautiful, but perhaps disaster follows. You must dare to face its consequences", and what does this quote mean in the context of the story?
7. What does Annelies find in Minke's luggage and what does Minke tell her about the items?
8. Why is Minke conflicted over the social status of Annelies' family?
9. Who does Minke speak to at the start of Chapter 6 and how does the conversation go?
10. What is the significance of the men in Annelies' family not joining them for dinner in Chapter 4?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)