|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Minke confused about concubines?
(a) Why they live on the island.
(b) Why they are low class.
(c) Why they go to church.
(d) How they can have children.
2. Why does Robert Mellema think about turning his guests away?
(a) He has company.
(b) They are smelly.
(c) He doesn't like people.
(d) One is a native.
3. What do Minke and May do together in Chapter 3?
(a) Study together.
(b) Go for a walk.
(c) Eat dinner.
4. What does Minke's school teach him?
(a) How to speak Latin.
(b) To fight.
(c) How to take notes.
(d) To play Lacrosse.
5. Where does Minke go at the start of Chapter 3?
(c) The barber.
6. What does Nyai want for Annelies?
(a) All the wealth in the land.
(b) To move to America.
(c) An arranged marriage.
(d) To marry whomever she wants.
7. Whose story does Minke tell at dinner in Chapter 4?
(a) Robert's story.
(b) Jean and May Marais.
(c) His own story.
(d) His father's story.
8. What does Nyai think of Minke's confession to her?
(a) She is proud of him.
(b) She cries.
(c) She hates him.
(d) She is embarrassed.
9. Who is Mr. Mellema?
(a) A teacher
(b) A wealthy businessman.
(c) A poor beggar.
(d) A cop.
10. Where does Robert Suurhof come to visit Minke in Chapter 2?
(a) The beach.
(b) Minke's grandmother's hut.
(c) Minke's home.
11. In Chapter 4, what does Minke bring to Annelies' house?
(a) A cat.
12. Who shows Minke, in Chapter 6, the article he wrote?
13. Who can Minke not get out of his mind in Chapter 3?
(b) The Queen.
(c) His mother.
14. Why does Annelies leave her conversation with Minke in Chapter 4?
(a) To wash her hair.
(b) To go to school.
(c) To go to work.
(d) To visit friends.
15. Who provided Nyai with her education?
(c) Her mother.
(d) Herman Mellema,
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Nyai request in the letter she sends to Minke?
2. Who does the person in the article in Chapter 6 resemble?
3. Who does Nyai invite to become Annelies' little sister?
4. What type of book might this story be classified as?
5. How does Nyai describe her father in Chapter 5?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)