|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who provided Nyai with her education?
(b) Herman Mellema,
(d) Her mother.
2. Where does Minke go to school?
(a) One of the best schools in the Indies.
(b) He is home-schooled.
(c) One of the worst schools in the Indies.
(d) A university in England.
3. What does May see on her walk in Chapter 3?
(a) A flock of seagulls.
(b) A train.
(c) A fight.
4. What does Minke ask Nyai about at the end of Chapter 4?
(a) Her parent's death.
(b) Her education.
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her job.
5. What ethnicity is Minke?
6. Where do Annelies and Minke sit and talk in Chapter 4?
(a) The beach.
(b) The family restaurant.
(c) Minke's house.
(d) The garden.
7. Who tells Minke the story of how Nyai became a nyai?
8. What does the word nyai mean?
(a) Heavenly woman.
(d) First born.
9. What is this story about?
(a) First love.
(d) Understanding roots.
10. At the start of Chapter 4, what is wrong with Annelies?
(a) She failed a class.
(b) She is sick.
(c) Her mother died.
(d) She fought with her father.
11. Why does Minke agree to go with Robert Suurhof in Chapter 2?
(a) He is forced to go.
(b) Robert Suurhof owes him money.
(c) They are brothers.
(d) He does not believe him.
12. Why does Nyai say Annelies was taken out of school?
(a) She failed English.
(b) School was too easy.
(c) She had to work.
(d) She was sick.
13. What is the significance of what Minke brings to Annelies' home in Chapter 4?
(a) He knows she loves animals.
(b) He wants her to be a friend.
(c) Her family is starving.
(d) He plans to stay.
14. What does Minke admit to Nyai in Chapter 6?
(a) He is going to war.
(b) He loves Annelies.
(c) He is moving.
(d) He wrote the article.
15. What type of book might this story be classified as?
(b) Historical Fiction.
(d) Science Fiction.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Minke wonder if Nyai did to him ?
2. Who does Minke consult for advice in Chapter 3?
3. Who told Herman to divorce his wife according to Nyai?
4. Who is Nyai Ontosoroh?
5. Why did Nyai not admit Herman to mental institute?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)