|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Nyai kept in the house at age 13?
(a) She was ugly.
(b) Her beauty.
(c) She had to work.
(d) She lied to her parents.
2. In what century does "This Earth of Mankind" take place?
3. How long after the actual events did Minke write the book?
(a) 13 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 8 months.
(d) 5 years.
4. What ethnicity is Minke?
5. What racial groups does Minke compare in Chapter 6?
(a) Americans and Indies.
(b) Whites and natives.
(c) Europeans and Middle Easterns.
(d) Asians and Americans.
6. Why does Annelies leave her conversation with Minke in Chapter 4?
(a) To wash her hair.
(b) To go to work.
(c) To visit friends.
(d) To go to school.
7. What does Minke wonder if Nyai did to him ?
8. What issue does this book explore?
(c) The Great Depression.
9. What does Minke say he would rather do than read the letters?
(a) Go to school.
(c) Poke out his eyes.
(d) Spend time with Annelies.
10. How does Annelies feel when Minke sees her In Chapter 4?
11. What do Minke and May do together in Chapter 3?
(a) Study together.
(b) Go for a walk.
(d) Eat dinner.
12. Why is Minke confused about concubines?
(a) How they can have children.
(b) Why they are low class.
(c) Why they go to church.
(d) Why they live on the island.
13. What is this story about?
(b) Understanding roots.
(d) First love.
14. What does Minke boast about at the start of Chapter 2?
(a) His wife.
(b) His money.
(c) His education.
(d) His car.
15. Where, in Chapter 3, do Minke and May go together?
(a) The movies.
(b) A restaurant.
(c) The beach.
(d) The park.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Nyai's father sell her to work as a concubine?
2. Where does Queen Welhelmina reign?
3. Where does Minke go at the start of Chapter 4?
4. How did Minke write his story?
5. Who comes into the room while Minke and Jean Marais speak in Chapter 3?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)