|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gloria Anzaldua claims ___________split her.
2. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
3. From "Billie lives! Billie lives!," what year has been declared the year of the bird?
4. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
5. To what does Rosario Morales compare "protective coloring in racist fields"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the "smart-ugly" crystallization as described by the Combahee River Collective.
2. Why did the Combahee River Collective state that they were socialists?
3. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
4. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
5. What did Barbara Smith claim about many lesbians being separatists?
6. What "click" did Beverly Smith claim still existed in the women's movement?
7. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
8. According to Cherrie Moraga's introduction to the section "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," what did first generation third world writers defy?
9. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
10. What did Michelle Wallace, as noted by the Combahee River Colective, state about the struggle to change the Black woman's condition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that any "voice"was left out of the book? What voice do you believe was omitted from the view points? Why do you believe this voice was omitted from the book? Why do you believe that this voice would have added to the tone of the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the writers detail specific things that a woman of color must do to help the women's movement become just that-a women's movement. They state that there are too many issues within the movement to move forward and make a real change happen. Discuss the different points that the authors make in regard to an individual's responsibility in the movement for it too succeed.
Essay Topic 3
"A woman with power is feared."-Cherrie Moraga. Do you believe that this statement is true? Why/Why not? How do some of authors support this statement? Do any of the authors negate this statement? Why/Why not?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)