|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In her letter to Barbara Smith, Mirtha Quintanales tells Smith about ___________.
2. "There is no __________________ in poverty." (Gloria Anzaldua)
3. Who wrote the book "Bloodroots"?
4. What humorous answer does Barbara Smith give to the following question that her sister poses to her: "Is there any oppression that women experience that is that total, in other words literally affects their physical well-being on a day to day basis?
5. According to Barbara Noda, what sang out to her in "Lowriding Through the Women's Movement"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What comparison did Cheryl Clarke make between lesbians and black women?
2. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
3. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
4. Why did Hattie Gossett believe that it would be difficult to get her book out?
5. How did Cherrie Moraga describe the similarities and differences between Third World women writers?
6. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
7. Why did Cherrie Moraga, in the poem "The Welder," state that she was a welder and not an alchemist?
8. What did Gloria Anzaldua's mother want in return for birthing Gloria?
9. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
10. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lesbianism within the women's movement seems to create problems, according to many of the lesbian authors. How do they describe the difficulty of being a lesbian within the women's movement? Why do some of the authors claim that being a lesbian within the movement creates problems of its own?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you feel the the book was titled "This Bridge Called My Back"? What imagery does this title set up for the book? Is it a negative or positive understanding? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that any "voice"was left out of the book? What voice do you believe was omitted from the view points? Why do you believe this voice was omitted from the book? Why do you believe that this voice would have added to the tone of the theme?
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)