|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chrystos use to "mark out the space I am"?
2. Gloria Anzaldua claims ___________split her.
3. What do women of color dare to show the world? ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
4. What is a "gorra"?
5. What relationships are important to Gloria Anzaldua?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
2. Why did Cheryl Clarke state that being a lesbian is a dangerous act of rebellion?
3. Why did Hattie Gossett believe that it would be difficult to get her book out?
4. What comparison did Cheryl Clarke make between lesbians and black women?
5. According to Cherrie Moraga's introduction to the section "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," what did first generation third world writers defy?
6. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
7. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
8. Why did Barbara Smith claim that "virtually no Black person in this country ...is surprised about oppression"?
9. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
10. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Using the writings of Cherrie Moraga, describe and define the different types of lesbianism. Be sure to address their similarities and their differences.
Essay Topic 2
Alchemy is discussed many times by many different authors in the book. Why does this word seem to be important for some of the authors, while others disregard it? How does the term create a positive image in some writings and a negative image in others? How does this word imitate the problems detailed in the book by the different authors?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you feel the the book was titled "This Bridge Called My Back"? What imagery does this title set up for the book? Is it a negative or positive understanding? Why?
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)