|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
2. According to Barbara Smith, what does one woman state as the reason for not watching television?
3. According to Barbara Noda, what sang out to her in "Lowriding Through the Women's Movement"?
4. What does the "whirring voice" in Rosario Morales' voice inside her head tell her?
5. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cherrie Moraga describe the similarities and differences between Third World women writers?
2. Why did/does Barbara Smith believe that the white power structure did a good job on keeping women from bonding across racial lines?
3. What comparison did Cheryl Clarke make between lesbians and black women?
4. Why did Luisah Teish claim that men always put down herbal remedies? (From her interview with Gloria Anzaldua.)
5. How did Cheryl Clarke wrap up her essay "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance"?
6. Why did Cheryl Clarke state that being a lesbian is a dangerous act of rebellion?
7. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
8. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
9. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
10. What did Beverly Smith claim was the problem with analyzing problems within the women's movement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gloria Anzaldua states "The basic problem that we have had was believing somebody else's story about us." How does this explain the problems associated within the women's movement, according to the authors? What does this statement say about all races? Is there a common solution that the authors come to in regard to eliminating the problems associated with "somebody else's story"?
Essay Topic 2
Using the writings of Cherrie Moraga, describe and define the different types of lesbianism. Be sure to address their similarities and their differences.
Essay Topic 3
Many of the writers detail specific things that a woman of color must do to help the women's movement become just that-a women's movement. They state that there are too many issues within the movement to move forward and make a real change happen. Discuss the different points that the authors make in regard to an individual's responsibility in the movement for it too succeed.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)