|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction of "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," a woman who writes has __________.
2. In her letter to Barbara Smith, Mirtha Quintanales tells Smith about ___________.
3. "Your skin must be sensitive for the lightest _____________ and thick enough to ward off the ___________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
4. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
5. What story is the monkey from that Gloria Anzaldua referenced in "La Prieta"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gloria Anzaldua states "The basic problem that we have had was believing somebody else's story about us." How does this explain the problems associated within the women's movement, according to the authors? What does this statement say about all races? Is there a common solution that the authors come to in regard to eliminating the problems associated with "somebody else's story"?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different references to "Left-Handed" and "Right-Handed" worlds. What is meant by both of these titles? How do different authors describe the meaning of "left-handed" and "right-handed" worlds? Why are these terms used as designations at all? What is the relevance?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe that any "voice"was left out of the book? What voice do you believe was omitted from the view points? Why do you believe this voice was omitted from the book? Why do you believe that this voice would have added to the tone of the theme?
This section contains 1,227 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)