|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Cheryl Clarke believe to be the real enemy to lesbians?
2. Merle Woo claims that being a Chinese man in America makes the man a victim of _______________.
3. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
4. What essay of Cherrie Moraga's does Naomi Littlebear refer to by referencing a six-pack of beer?
5. What book did Naomi Littlebear send to Cherrie Moraga?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cheryl Clarke wrap up her essay "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance"?
2. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
3. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
4. What "click" did Beverly Smith claim still existed in the women's movement?
5. Why did Hattie Gossett believe that it would be difficult to get her book out?
6. Describe the "smart-ugly" crystallization as described by the Combahee River Collective.
7. What did Barbara Smith claim about many lesbians being separatists?
8. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
9. According to Cherrie Moraga's introduction to the section "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," what did first generation third world writers defy?
10. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe that any "voice"was left out of the book? What voice do you believe was omitted from the view points? Why do you believe this voice was omitted from the book? Why do you believe that this voice would have added to the tone of the theme?
Essay Topic 2
Many of the authors reference other authors that have contributed to the collaboration of "This Bridge Called My Back." Why do you think that this is the case? What do you believe is positive about referencing a co-writer? What do you believe is negative about referencing a co-writer?
Essay Topic 3
Using the writings of Cherrie Moraga, describe and define the different types of lesbianism. Be sure to address their similarities and their differences.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)