|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what race is Gloria?
2. Who wrote "When I Was Growing Up"?
3. What did the author of "When I Was Growing Up" long to be?
4. Who wrote out the checks for the author's mother when she was at the grocery store? ("La Guera")
5. Who wrote "I Am What I Am"?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Audre Lorde, what was the diversion task of black and third world women?
2. What does Rosario Morales say that she is in "I am What I Am"?
3. When did Mitsuye Yamada say that Asian Pacific American women would speak out?
4. According to Anita Valerio, how is the Okan described?
5. Name three of the problems that Doris Davenport named as part of the problem within the feminist movement?
6. What does the first section of the book speak about?
7. What happened to Naomi Littlebear when she ran home after being attacked as a little girl?
8. What is the meaning behind "Wonder Woman"?
9. Who lives in the marrow of the narrator in "I Walk in the History of My People"?
10. How did Mitsuye Yamada say that Asian Pacific American women could make themselves more visible?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
White women are detailed, in many of the writings, as being a large part of the oppression within the women's movement. What problems, according to the writers, do white women make for women of color in the movement? How do the writers support their statements against white women in the movement? Why do these problems seem ironic for the movement?
Essay Topic 2
Alchemy is discussed many times by many different authors in the book. Why does this word seem to be important for some of the authors, while others disregard it? How does the term create a positive image in some writings and a negative image in others? How does this word imitate the problems detailed in the book by the different authors?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the authors reference other authors that have contributed to the collaboration of "This Bridge Called My Back." Why do you think that this is the case? What do you believe is positive about referencing a co-writer? What do you believe is negative about referencing a co-writer?
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)