|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Light was _________," according to the narrator in "La Guera."
2. What word did Gloria and Merlin wish to define for themselves, based upon their choice to leave a national feminist writers movement?
3. Where did the narrator of "I Am What I Am" get her English accent from?
4. What does "braceros" mean?
5. Who confided in Cherrie Moraga that he felt she didn't trust him because he was a male?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the first section of the book speak about?
2. In the poem "When I was Growing Up," what was life like for Nellie Wong?
3. What did Cherrie Moraga state that she learned when she attended a concert where Ntosake Shange was reading?
4. What did Aurora Levins Morales decide was the issue that she had with Piri Thomas' book "Down These Mean Streets"?
5. What did Doris Davenport describe as Black "wimmin's "aversion to white "wimmin"?
6. When did Mitsuye Yamada say that Asian Pacific American women would speak out?
7. What did Aurora Levins Morales' friend Ceci say must change for things to be different so the daughters of Latinos could be free?
8. What is the meaning behind "Wonder Woman"?
9. According to Anita Valerio, how is the Okan described?
10. What does Rosario Morales say that she is in "I am What I Am"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alchemy is discussed many times by many different authors in the book. Why does this word seem to be important for some of the authors, while others disregard it? How does the term create a positive image in some writings and a negative image in others? How does this word imitate the problems detailed in the book by the different authors?
Essay Topic 2
Lesbianism within the women's movement seems to create problems, according to many of the lesbian authors. How do they describe the difficulty of being a lesbian within the women's movement? Why do some of the authors claim that being a lesbian within the movement creates problems of its own?
Essay Topic 3
Many of the authors state the importance of writing in the movement. What does the author state as the importance of writing? What does writing do for these authors? What purpose does writing serve in the women's movement?
This section contains 879 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)