|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
2. "Light was _________," according to the narrator in "La Guera."
3. What was the narrator of "Dreams of Violence" awakened by in the writing?
4. In what month in 1979, did Gloria attend a women's retreat in California?
5. Who is quoted at the beginning of the poem "on not bein"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the poems "When I Was Growing Up" and "on not being" differ by point-of-view?
2. What did Aurora Levins Morales' friend Ceci say must change for things to be different so the daughters of Latinos could be free?
3. What does Rosario Morales say that she is in "I am What I Am"?
4. In the poem "When I was Growing Up," what was life like for Nellie Wong?
5. What did Cherrie Moraga state as the driving force behind compiling the book "This Bridge Called My Back"?
6. When did Mitsuye Yamada say that Asian Pacific American women would speak out?
7. How did Mitsuye Yamada say that Asian Pacific American women could make themselves more visible?
8. What does the first section of the book speak about?
9. According to Emma Goldman from Cherrie Moraga's "La Guera," how must one gain a philosophy from any event?
10. What are three of the ironic questionings that Lim makes regarding women in her poem "Wonder Woman"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss your personal feelings on the writings in the book. Take into consideration your own racial history. How do you feel about what was stated in the book? If you have negative feelings about specific statements, why do you feel that way? Do you find yourself strongly agreeing with/ or disagreeing with any of the statements? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Alchemy is discussed many times by many different authors in the book. Why does this word seem to be important for some of the authors, while others disregard it? How does the term create a positive image in some writings and a negative image in others? How does this word imitate the problems detailed in the book by the different authors?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you feel the the book was titled "This Bridge Called My Back"? What imagery does this title set up for the book? Is it a negative or positive understanding? Why?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)