|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mirtha Quintanales claims that there is no such thing as __________.
(b) A melting pot.
2. According to Barbara Smith, what does one woman state as the reason for not watching television?
(a) She is afraid of the news.
(b) She wants to live in reality, and television is fiction.
(c) Television gives such a twisted interpretation of life.
(d) She is an intellectual.
3. Why does Nellie Wong claim that "you" (a writer/her) will not stop working and writing?
(a) You care, refuse to give up, and won't submit.
(b) You will not extinguish the fire in yourself.
(c) It is too important.
(d) It means too much to those that read it.
4. From "Billie lives! Billie lives!," what year has been declared the year of the bird?
5. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
(a) She has lost her lover.
(b) Her mother has disowned her.
(c) Her father died.
(d) The mugger said he would come and get her.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Combahee River Collective, whose job is it to eliminate racism in the white women's movement?
2. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
3. According to the introduction of "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," a woman who writes has __________.
4. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
5. What do women of color dare to show the world? ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Cherrie Moraga describe the similarities and differences between Third World women writers?
2. What comparison did Cheryl Clarke make between lesbians and black women?
3. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
4. What does Gloria Anzaldua state is the reason that one resists the act of writing?
5. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
6. How did Cheryl Clarke wrap up her essay "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance"?
7. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
8. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
9. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
10. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)