|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
(a) A miracle worker.
(b) An alchemist.
(c) A doctor.
(d) A forgiver.
2. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
(a) They killed themselves.
(b) They spoke about the women's movement.
(c) They endorsed her writings.
(d) They are black.
3. What does Chrystos use to "mark out the space I am"?
4. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
(a) The movement is not moving fast enough.
(b) Hate should not exist.
(c) She feels people don't understand where she came from.
(d) Life should not be lived in fear.
5. According to Mirtha Quintanales, what is racism?
(a) A Big Monster.
(b) A problem that will never go away.
(c) A nightmare.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
2. According to the Combahee River Collective, whose job is it to eliminate racism in the white women's movement?
3. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
4. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
5. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
2. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
3. Why did the Combahee River Collective state that they were socialists?
4. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
5. Why did Hattie Gossett believe that it would be difficult to get her book out?
6. How did Cheryl Clarke wrap up her essay "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance"?
7. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
8. What did Gloria Anzaldua's mother want in return for birthing Gloria?
9. Why did Cherrie Moraga, in the poem "The Welder," state that she was a welder and not an alchemist?
10. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)