|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Barbara Smith, what book did African American students have a hard time believing was about "white people"?
(a) "The Grapes of Wrath."
(b) "Invisible Man."
(c) "Diasy Miller."
(d) "The Sound and the Fury."
2. According to Gloria Anzaldua, who said, "Complacency is a far more dangerous attitude than outrage."
(a) Naomi Littlebear.
(b) Cherrie Moraga.
(c) Barbara Smith.
3. As stated by the Combahee River Collective, what did "smart" equal?
4. From what does writing save Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) Her past.
(b) The life that she is running from.
(c) The complacency she fears.
(d) The lies that have been told about her.
5. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
(a) Finding one's own voice.
(b) Telling the truth about the women's movement today.
(c) Writing the introduction to your own book.
(d) Meditation with a guru.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Malintzin's lover?
2. In her letter to Barbara Smith, Mirtha Quintanales tells Smith about ___________.
3. What was one of the major issues that the Combahee River Collective began to address publicly?
4. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
5. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
2. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
3. What did Michelle Wallace, as noted by the Combahee River Colective, state about the struggle to change the Black woman's condition?
4. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
5. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
6. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
7. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
8. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
9. Why did Gloria Anzaldua claim that lesbians of color were invisible?
10. What happened to Gloria Anzaldua when she began to write the essay "La Prieta"?
This section contains 997 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)