|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What story is the monkey from that Gloria Anzaldua referenced in "La Prieta"?
(a) "Primal Attraction."
(b) "Monkey Learns to Chaperone Pigs."
(d) "Puff Goes the Monkey."
2. How many months did it take for Hattie Gossett to edit her book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
(a) One month.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Seven months.
(d) Three months.
3. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
(a) Our past.
(b) Our humanity.
(c) Our language.
(d) Our culture.
4. Who does Cheryl Clarke believe to be the real enemy to lesbians?
(a) Balck men.
(b) Each other.
(c) Heterosexual women.
(d) "The Man."
5. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
(d) Dying trees.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Gloria Anzaldua was born, what did Mamagranda Locha look for on her?
2. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
3. How long did it take for Gloria Anzaldua to believe that white is not better than brown?
4. According to the Combahee River Collective, whose job is it to eliminate racism in the white women's movement?
5. According to "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance," in the Black world, who are the two free people in the United States?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
2. Why did the Combahee River Collective state that they were socialists?
3. According to Cherrie Moraga's introduction to the section "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," what did first generation third world writers defy?
4. What did Gloria Anzaldua's mother want in return for birthing Gloria?
5. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
6. Describe the "smart-ugly" crystallization as described by the Combahee River Collective.
7. What happened to Gloria Anzaldua when she began to write the essay "La Prieta"?
8. What did Barbara Smith claim about many lesbians being separatists?
9. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
10. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)