|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Cheryl Clarke, how many different kinds of lesbians are there?
(a) There are two types of lesbians.
(b) There is not only one kind of lesbian.
(c) There is only one kind of lesbian.
(d) There are four specific types of lesbians.
2. What is Gloria Anzaldua's main distraction from writing?
3. In "La Prieta," what are "old selves" compared to?
(a) A first love.
(b) A ratty t-shirt.
(c) A favorite pair of jeans.
(d) An old shoe.
4. What relationships are important to Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) The ones with humanity.
(b) The ones with others and self.
(c) The ones with others.
(d) The ones within our culture.
5. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
(a) Life should not be lived in fear.
(b) She feels people don't understand where she came from.
(c) The movement is not moving fast enough.
(d) Hate should not exist.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
2. According to Mirtha Quintanales, what is racism?
3. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
4. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
5. Why does Nellie Wong claim that "you" (a writer/her) will not stop working and writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
2. Describe the "smart-ugly" crystallization as described by the Combahee River Collective.
3. Why did Luisah Teish claim that men always put down herbal remedies? (From her interview with Gloria Anzaldua.)
4. Why did Cherrie Moraga, in the poem "The Welder," state that she was a welder and not an alchemist?
5. Why did the Combahee River Collective state that they were socialists?
6. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
7. Why did Hattie Gossett believe that it would be difficult to get her book out?
8. According to Cherrie Moraga's introduction to the section "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," what did first generation third world writers defy?
9. What did Beverly Smith claim was the problem with analyzing problems within the women's movement?
10. Why did Gloria Anzaldua claim that lesbians of color were invisible?
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)