|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many months did it take for Hattie Gossett to edit her book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
(a) Twelve months.
(b) Seven months.
(c) One month.
(d) Three months.
2. What kind of crisis does Hattie Gossett claim there is at the time of her book's release?
(a) National literacy crisis.
(b) National employment crisis.
(c) World-wide literacy crisis.
(d) World-wide employment crisis.
3. When was the first piece of Hattie Gossett's book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
4. From what does writing save Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) Her past.
(b) The life that she is running from.
(c) The complacency she fears.
(d) The lies that have been told about her.
5. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
(a) Telling the truth about the women's movement today.
(b) Writing the introduction to your own book.
(c) Finding one's own voice.
(d) Meditation with a guru.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was Malintzin?
2. Who wrote the book "Bloodroots"?
3. What humorous answer does Barbara Smith give to the following question that her sister poses to her: "Is there any oppression that women experience that is that total, in other words literally affects their physical well-being on a day to day basis?
4. What is Gloria Anzaldua's main distraction from writing?
5. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
2. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what were the problems associated with power in her essay "La Prieta"?
3. What happened to Gloria Anzaldua when she began to write the essay "La Prieta"?
4. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
5. Why did Barbara Smith claim that "virtually no Black person in this country ...is surprised about oppression"?
6. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
7. Why did the Combahee River Collective believe that they needed a collection of Black feminist writing?
8. Why does Gloria Anzaldua write?
9. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
10. How did Cheryl Clarke wrap up her essay "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance"?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)