|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
2. What is no black person in this country surprised about? (Smith/Smith dialogue)
3. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
(a) Her mother has disowned her.
(b) She has lost her lover.
(c) Her father died.
(d) The mugger said he would come and get her.
4. In "La Prieta," what are "old selves" compared to?
(a) A ratty t-shirt.
(b) An old shoe.
(c) A first love.
(d) A favorite pair of jeans.
5. "The lesbian of color is not only invisible, she does not even __________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
(c) Prove her worthiness.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is one of Gloria Anzaldua's biggest fears?
2. According to Cheryl Clarke, of whom are black women envious?
3. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
4. When did the Combahee River Collective first begin to meet?
5. According to Nellie Wong, if one sings about woe too often the person is accused of ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Gloria Anzaldua's mother want in return for birthing Gloria?
2. What drove Barbara Smith crazy regarding the arrogance of some white women? (Across the Kitchen Table")
3. What did the concrete objects in the poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading" represent in reality?
4. What "click" did Beverly Smith claim still existed in the women's movement?
5. Why did Nellie Wong state that she will not stop working and writing? ("In Search of the Self As Hero: Confetti of Voices on New Year's Night")
6. Why did Luisah Teish claim that men always put down herbal remedies? (From her interview with Gloria Anzaldua.)
7. What did Beverly Smith claim was the problem with analyzing problems within the women's movement?
8. What did Barbara Smith claim about many lesbians being separatists?
9. How did Cherrie Moraga describe the similarities and differences between Third World women writers?
10. Describe the "smart-ugly" crystallization as described by the Combahee River Collective.
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)