|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Mitsuye Yamada.
(b) Wendy Law-Yone.
(c) Gish Jen.
(d) Theresa Hak Kyung Cha.
2. What does the narrator say she is in "I Am What I Am"?
(a) A Mexican.
(b) A Spaniard.
(c) An African American.
(d) A U.S. American.
3. According to the introduction to the first section of the book, what will readers find voices from?
4. According to "The Master's Tools Will Never Dismantle The Master's House," what must "divide and conquer" become in the world?
(a) Define and empower.
(b) Educate and categorize.
(c) Love and accept.
(d) Stand and fight.
5. Who wrote "I Am What I Am"?
(a) Rosario Morales.
(b) Toni Morrison.
(c) Lynne Hanley.
(d) Patricia Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "Dreams of Violence"?
2. Who wrote out the checks for the author's mother when she was at the grocery store? ("La Guera")
3. What culture does Judit Moschkovich align with Latin culture?
4. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
5. How old was the narrator's mother when she was the main support of her family? ("La Guera")
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the common theme that all of the writings from the section titled "Introduction and Children Passing in the Streets: The Roots of Our Radicalism" have in common?
2. What are three of the ironic questionings that Lim makes regarding women in her poem "Wonder Woman"?
3. Why did the poem "I sing to myself", as used by Norma Alarcon in "Chicana's Feminist Literature: A Re-Vision Through Malintzin," represent a key example for her problem with the parent-child relationship?
4. According to Gloria Anzaldua, what did she believe that white men expected of Third World women if they wanted to make it in a "right-handed world"?
5. Why did Luisah Teish claim that men always put down herbal remedies? (From her interview with Gloria Anzaldua.)
6. Mirtha Quintanales stated that all humans had/have needs that must be met. What, according to Quintanales, are the circumstances under which these needs are to be met?
7. How did Gloria Anzaldua describe herself as "Shiva"?
8. In the poem "When I was Growing Up," what was life like for Nellie Wong?
9. What is Barbara Smith's "inherent definition of feminism"? (According to the introduction of "An d When You Leave, Take Your Pictures With You")
10. What did Barbara Smith claim about many lesbians being separatists?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)