|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is quoted at the beginning of "La Guera"?
(a) Judith Wright.
(b) Emma Goldman.
(c) Susan Howe.
(d) May Swenson.
2. According to Judit Moschkovich, what happens when a person denies who they are, where they come from, and how they feel?
(a) They assimilate to the societal constant.
(b) They fail to find a place for themselves.
(c) They become hardened against others.
(d) They end up hating themselves.
3. "We challenge symptoms of the disease while neglecting the _________________," as related in "The Pathology of Racism" by Davenport.
4. What does the author want to make changes in, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Her family.
(b) Man made disasters.
(c) Personal culture.
(d) Society as a whole.
5. According to Doris Davenport, what is the cause of racism in white feminists?
(a) Bizarre oppression.
(b) Hatred of those not white.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the anthology that the author of "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman" taught for a segment of Ethnic American Literature?
2. Who is quoted at the beginning of "Children Passing in the Streets" as saying, "I learned to make my mind large, as the universe is large, so that there is room for paradoxes"?
3. What does "braceros" mean?
4. Why was the author of "La Guera" pulled out of school at the ages of five, seven, nine, and eleven?
5. Who wrote "For the Color of My Mother"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do the poems "When I Was Growing Up" and "on not being" differ by point-of-view?
2. What did Judit Maschkovich define as American and Latin culture?
3. Who lives in the marrow of the narrator in "I Walk in the History of My People"?
4. What is the common theme that all of the writings from the section titled "Introduction and Children Passing in the Streets: The Roots of Our Radicalism" have in common?
5. Why did Audre Lorde decide never to talk to white women about racism?
6. In the poem "When I was Growing Up," what was life like for Nellie Wong?
7. What did Cherrie Moraga ask Aurora Levins Morales to write about, and what did Morales choose to write about?
8. Name three of the problems that Doris Davenport named as part of the problem within the feminist movement?
9. According to Emma Goldman from Cherrie Moraga's "La Guera," how must one gain a philosophy from any event?
10. Why did the woman in Lee's "on not bein" marry the first man who proposed?
This section contains 1,025 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)