|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Merle Woo claims that being a Chinese man in America makes the man a victim of _______________.
(a) Mind and body.
(b) All races outside of Chinese.
(c) Chinese women.
(d) Sexism and racism.
2. In Cheryl Clarke's mind, what does "take care of us" equal?
(a) Love us.
(b) Control us.
(c) Free us.
(d) Limit us.
3. What was one of the major issues that the Combahee River Collective began to address publicly?
(a) Racism in the white woman's movement.
(b) The lack of power for women in America.
(c) Racism in the women's movement.
(d) The power of the white man in America.
4. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) A wave from the ocean.
(b) The first bloom from a cactus.
(c) The first daffodil opening.
(d) A wind to fill your sails.
5. What happened on August 6, 1941, just four days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
(a) Billie Holiday's "Distinctive Song Stylings" came out.
(b) Billie Holiday's "Lady Day" was made.
(c) Billie Holiday's "Ella, Lena And Billie" came out.
(d) Billie Holiday's "Story Volume 2" was made.
6. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
(a) They are black.
(b) They killed themselves.
(c) They endorsed her writings.
(d) They spoke about the women's movement.
7. What did Gloria Anzaldua claim changed her forever?
8. From "Billie lives! Billie lives!," what year has been declared the year of the bird?
9. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
10. According to Barbara Smith, what book did African American students have a hard time believing was about "white people"?
(a) "The Sound and the Fury."
(b) "The Grapes of Wrath."
(c) "Invisible Man."
(d) "Diasy Miller."
11. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
(a) The teeth of a babe.
(b) The bare fingers of a woman.
(c) A rock from the ocean.
(d) An eagle's beak.
12. According to Cheryl Clarke, of whom are black women envious?
(a) Women whom have made a name for themselves in the white man's world.
(b) Women with morals.
(c) Wealthy women.
(d) Pampered "powder puffs."
13. From what does writing save Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) The lies that have been told about her.
(b) The life that she is running from.
(c) Her past.
(d) The complacency she fears.
14. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The oppression of men.
(b) The many headed demon of oppression.
(c) The righting of the left-handed world.
(d) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
15. Who wrote the book "Bloodroots"?
(a) Barbara Smith.
(b) Cherrie Moraga.
(c) Alma Villanueva.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Naomi Littlebear say she tried to exorcise?
2. Barbara Smith says there is no such thing as ___________________.
3. "Feminism for you means working for the equality and humanity of women and men, for children, for the _________________ that is possible." (Nellie Wong)
4. What does Gloria Anzaldua say women of color cannot allow?
5. Combahee River Collective defined the American political system as________________.
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)