|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
2. "There is no __________________ in poverty." (Gloria Anzaldua)
3. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) The first bloom from a cactus.
(b) A wind to fill your sails.
(c) The first daffodil opening.
(d) A wave from the ocean.
4. According to Mirtha Quintanales, what is racism?
(a) A Big Monster.
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A problem that will never go away.
5. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
(a) Dying trees.
6. What do black women, according to the Combahee River Collective, struggle with black men about?
7. When Gloria Anzaldua was born, what did Mamagranda Locha look for on her?
(a) A birthmark in the shape of a star.
(b) A sign of greatness.
(c) Signs of whiteness.
(d) Mulatto blood.
8. What is Gloria Anzaldua's main distraction from writing?
9. When was the first piece of Hattie Gossett's book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
10. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
(a) She has lost her lover.
(b) Her mother has disowned her.
(c) Her father died.
(d) The mugger said he would come and get her.
11. How long did it take for Gloria Anzaldua to believe that white is not better than brown?
(a) Fifty years.
(b) Thirty years.
(c) Her lifetime.
(d) Ten years.
12. Who wrote the book "Bloodroots"?
(b) Barbara Smith.
(c) Alma Villanueva.
(d) Cherrie Moraga.
13. What does NWSA stand for?
(a) Not Willing to Say Anything.
(b) National Women's Studies Association.
(c) National White Studies Agendas.
(d) Need Women Saying All.
14. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
(a) Hate should not exist.
(b) Life should not be lived in fear.
(c) The movement is not moving fast enough.
(d) She feels people don't understand where she came from.
15. What does the "whirring voice" in Rosario Morales' voice inside her head tell her?
(a) "The change is comming."
(b) "Stop. This is not your fight alone."
(c) "You will do great things."
(d) "You don't belong."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
2. Cheryl Clarke identifies a lesbian as ________________.
3. What is a "gorra"?
4. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
5. What drives Barbara Smith crazy, according to the "Sister-to-Sister Dialogue"?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)