|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance," in the Black world, who are the two free people in the United States?
(a) Black men and white women.
(b) Black men and women.
(c) White men and black women.
(d) White men and women.
2. What metaphor does Gloria Anzaldua use to compare writing to?
(a) "The tiger riding our backs."
(b) "The mouth of the dragon."
(c) "The wind that fills the sails."
(d) "The green of the earth."
3. Merle Woo claims that being a Chinese man in America makes the man a victim of _______________.
(a) All races outside of Chinese.
(b) Sexism and racism.
(c) Chinese women.
(d) Mind and body.
4. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
(c) Dying trees.
5. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) The first daffodil opening.
(b) A wind to fill your sails.
(c) A wave from the ocean.
(d) The first bloom from a cactus.
6. What kind of crisis does Hattie Gossett claim there is at the time of her book's release?
(a) World-wide employment crisis.
(b) World-wide literacy crisis.
(c) National employment crisis.
(d) National literacy crisis.
7. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
(a) Our culture.
(b) Our language.
(c) Our humanity.
(d) Our past.
8. Who wrote the book "Bloodroots"?
(a) Cherrie Moraga.
(c) Barbara Smith.
(d) Alma Villanueva.
9. How long did it take for Gloria Anzaldua to believe that white is not better than brown?
(a) Ten years.
(b) Fifty years.
(c) Her lifetime.
(d) Thirty years.
10. According to Nellie Wong, if one sings about woe too often the person is accused of ___________.
(a) Being "too limited."
(b) Being "too personal."
(c) Being "too weak."
(d) Being "too narrow-minded."
11. Who was Gloria Anzaldua's first love?
(a) A Collie.
(b) A German Shepherd.
(c) A Poodle.
(d) A Corgi.
12. From what does writing save Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) Her past.
(b) The complacency she fears.
(c) The life that she is running from.
(d) The lies that have been told about her.
13. To what does Rosario Morales compare "protective coloring in racist fields"?
14. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
(a) Her father died.
(b) Her mother has disowned her.
(c) The mugger said he would come and get her.
(d) She has lost her lover.
15. What does NWSA stand for?
(a) National White Studies Agendas.
(b) National Women's Studies Association.
(c) Not Willing to Say Anything.
(d) Need Women Saying All.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
2. Cheryl Clarke identifies a lesbian as ________________.
3. Who does Cheryl Clarke believe to be the real enemy to lesbians?
4. When was the first piece of Hattie Gossett's book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
5. Who wrote the following: "I do not believe/our wants have made all our lies/holy"?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)