|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the introduction of "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," a woman who writes has __________.
2. What drives Barbara Smith crazy, according to the "Sister-to-Sister Dialogue"?
(a) Black women taking steretypical jobs.
(b) White women choosing not to finish school.
(c) Life not being fair.
(d) Women being taken for granted.
3. Barbara Smith says there is no such thing as ___________________.
(a) An easy way to do things.
(b) Simplicity in life.
(c) A cure for racism.
4. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
(a) Meditation with a guru.
(b) Telling the truth about the women's movement today.
(c) Writing the introduction to your own book.
(d) Finding one's own voice.
5. How does a woman who chooses to be a lesbian, according to Cheryl Clarke, live?
(b) In hiding.
6. In "La Prieta," what are "old selves" compared to?
(a) A favorite pair of jeans.
(b) A first love.
(c) An old shoe.
(d) A ratty t-shirt.
7. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) The first daffodil opening.
(b) A wave from the ocean.
(c) The first bloom from a cactus.
(d) A wind to fill your sails.
8. What does Chrystos pass around the circle in her poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading"?
(a) A shell.
(b) A rock.
(c) A cloud.
(d) A leaf.
9. What do women of color dare to show the world? ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
(a) Their power.
(b) Human flesh and the red of their blood.
(c) Their honesty.
(d) Their pride in their culture.
10. To what does Rosario Morales compare "protective coloring in racist fields"?
11. According to Barbara Noda, what sang out to her in "Lowriding Through the Women's Movement"?
12. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
(a) A rock from the ocean.
(b) The bare fingers of a woman.
(c) The teeth of a babe.
(d) An eagle's beak.
13. Who wrote the following: "I do not believe/our wants have made all our lies/holy"?
(a) Audre Lorde.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Cherrie Moraga.
14. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
(a) A forgiver.
(b) A miracle worker.
(c) A doctor.
(d) An alchemist.
15. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
(a) Sylvia Plath.
(c) Judy Lucero.
(d) Erin Wolf.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do black women, according to the Combahee River Collective, struggle with black men about?
2. What humorous answer does Barbara Smith give to the following question that her sister poses to her: "Is there any oppression that women experience that is that total, in other words literally affects their physical well-being on a day to day basis?
3. According to Nellie Wong, if one sings about woe too often the person is accused of ___________.
4. Who was Malintzin?
5. Why can't Gloria Anzaldua sleep at night?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)