|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chrystos pass around the circle in her poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading"?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A rock.
(c) A shell.
(d) A leaf.
2. What is the NBFO?
(a) The Negro-Based Feminist Organization.
(b) The New Belief in Freedom Organization.
(c) The National Black Feminist Organization.
(d) The National Bisexual Founders Organization.
3. To whom is Merle Woo's letter written to? (January, 1980)
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her "ma."
4. In Cheryl Clarke's mind, what does "take care of us" equal?
(a) Limit us.
(b) Free us.
(c) Control us.
(d) Love us.
5. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
(a) Our past.
(b) Our humanity.
(c) Our culture.
(d) Our language.
6. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
(b) The righting of the left-handed world.
(c) The many headed demon of oppression.
(d) The oppression of men.
7. What does Cherrie Moraga claim is possible in the poem "The Welder"?
(c) Love of all.
8. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
(a) Writing the introduction to your own book.
(b) Meditation with a guru.
(c) Telling the truth about the women's movement today.
(d) Finding one's own voice.
9. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
10. Who was Malintzin's lover?
11. How many months did it take for Hattie Gossett to edit her book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
(a) Seven months.
(b) Twelve months.
(c) Three months.
(d) One month.
12. What humorous answer does Barbara Smith give to the following question that her sister poses to her: "Is there any oppression that women experience that is that total, in other words literally affects their physical well-being on a day to day basis?
13. According to the introduction of "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," a woman who writes has __________.
14. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
(a) Black folks.
(b) Living morally.
(d) Giving back to society.
15. What is the rape of Black women by white men considered by the Combahee River Collective?
(a) A way to dehumanize.
(b) Political repression.
(c) Expression of power.
(d) A way to keep black women submissive.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the Combahee River Collective, whose job is it to eliminate racism in the white women's movement?
2. Merle Woo claims that being a Chinese man in America makes the man a victim of _______________.
3. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
4. Why does Nellie Wong claim that "you" (a writer/her) will not stop working and writing?
5. What does being a "Yellow Feminist" mean? (Merle Woo)
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)