|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Your skin must be sensitive for the lightest _____________ and thick enough to ward off the ___________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
(a) Breath and strikes.
(b) Touch and demons.
(c) Kiss and sneers.
(d) Compliment and disgrace.
2. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
(a) A forgiver.
(b) A miracle worker.
(c) An alchemist.
(d) A doctor.
3. What was one of the major issues that the Combahee River Collective began to address publicly?
(a) Racism in the white woman's movement.
(b) Racism in the women's movement.
(c) The lack of power for women in America.
(d) The power of the white man in America.
4. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
(a) The movement is not moving fast enough.
(b) Hate should not exist.
(c) She feels people don't understand where she came from.
(d) Life should not be lived in fear.
5. According to the introduction of "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision", what can women use as a source of power-if they use it?
(a) Inner strength.
(b) The promise of the future.
(d) The pain of the past.
6. What does Cherrie Moraga claim is possible in the poem "The Welder"?
(b) Love of all.
7. What did Gloria Anzaldua claim changed her forever?
8. How many months did it take for Hattie Gossett to edit her book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
(a) One month.
(b) Seven months.
(c) Three months.
(d) Twelve months.
9. What metaphor does Gloria Anzaldua use to compare writing to?
(a) "The mouth of the dragon."
(b) "The tiger riding our backs."
(c) "The green of the earth."
(d) "The wind that fills the sails."
10. According to "Lesbianism: An Act of Resistance," in the Black world, who are the two free people in the United States?
(a) White men and black women.
(b) Black men and women.
(c) White men and women.
(d) Black men and white women.
11. In Cheryl Clarke's mind, what does "take care of us" equal?
(a) Love us.
(b) Free us.
(c) Control us.
(d) Limit us.
12. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
(b) The many headed demon of oppression.
(c) The righting of the left-handed world.
(d) The oppression of men.
13. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
(a) Waves on the ocean.
(b) Crushing blows from an enemy.
(d) Polar opposites.
14. What does Gloria Anzaldua say that women have to lose?
(a) Only their souls.
(b) Only their sanity.
(c) Nothing, they never had any privileges.
15. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
(b) Giving back to society.
(c) Black folks.
(d) Living morally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gloria Anzaldua say women of color cannot allow?
2. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
3. What kind of crisis does Hattie Gossett claim there is at the time of her book's release?
4. What do black women, according to the Combahee River Collective, struggle with black men about?
5. What story is the monkey from that Gloria Anzaldua referenced in "La Prieta"?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)