|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom is Merle Woo's letter written to? (January, 1980)
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) Her "ma."
2. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
(a) Waves on the ocean.
(b) Polar opposites.
(d) Crushing blows from an enemy.
3. What does Chrystos pass around the circle in her poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading"?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A rock.
(c) A leaf.
(d) A shell.
4. Barbara Smith says there is no such thing as ___________________.
(a) An easy way to do things.
(c) Simplicity in life.
(d) A cure for racism.
5. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
6. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The oppression of men.
(b) The righting of the left-handed world.
(c) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
(d) The many headed demon of oppression.
7. Gloria Anzaldua claims ___________split her.
(a) People's labels.
(b) Other cultures.
(c) Her mother's beliefs.
(d) Her lover's questions.
8. What metaphor does Gloria Anzaldua use to compare writing to?
(a) "The mouth of the dragon."
(b) "The green of the earth."
(c) "The tiger riding our backs."
(d) "The wind that fills the sails."
9. How does a woman who chooses to be a lesbian, according to Cheryl Clarke, live?
(a) In hiding.
10. According to Mirtha Quintanales, what is racism?
(b) A nightmare.
(c) A Big Monster.
(d) A problem that will never go away.
11. What is no black person in this country surprised about? (Smith/Smith dialogue)
12. Who was Malintzin?
(a) A mythological fairy.
(b) An Indian princess.
(c) A goddess.
(d) An Aztec nobel woman.
13. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
(a) She feels people don't understand where she came from.
(b) The movement is not moving fast enough.
(c) Life should not be lived in fear.
(d) Hate should not exist.
14. According to Gloria Anzaldua, who said, "Complacency is a far more dangerous attitude than outrage."
(a) Barbara Smith.
(b) Naomi Littlebear.
(c) Cherrie Moraga.
15. According to Nellie Wong, if one sings about woe too often the person is accused of ___________.
(a) Being "too narrow-minded."
(b) Being "too weak."
(c) Being "too personal."
(d) Being "too limited."
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
2. What does Gloria Anzaldua say women of color cannot allow?
3. When did the Combahee River Collective first begin to meet?
4. According to Barbara Noda, what sang out to her in "Lowriding Through the Women's Movement"?
5. Gloria Anzaldua claims that women of color need to stop being compared to __________.
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)