|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of crisis does Hattie Gossett claim there is at the time of her book's release?
(a) National literacy crisis.
(b) World-wide literacy crisis.
(c) National employment crisis.
(d) World-wide employment crisis.
2. According to the introduction of "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision", what can women use as a source of power-if they use it?
(a) The pain of the past.
(b) The promise of the future.
(d) Inner strength.
3. What is one of Gloria Anzaldua's biggest fears?
(a) Betraying herself.
(b) Sending out the wrong message to young women.
(c) Failing as a writer.
(d) Failing her mother.
4. What is Gloria Anzaldua's main distraction from writing?
5. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
6. According to Cheryl Clarke, of whom are black women envious?
(a) Pampered "powder puffs."
(b) Wealthy women.
(c) Women whom have made a name for themselves in the white man's world.
(d) Women with morals.
7. Gloria Anzaldua claims ___________split her.
(a) Other cultures.
(b) Her lover's questions.
(c) People's labels.
(d) Her mother's beliefs.
8. What happened on August 6, 1941, just four days before the bombing of Pearl Harbor?
(a) Billie Holiday's "Lady Day" was made.
(b) Billie Holiday's "Story Volume 2" was made.
(c) Billie Holiday's "Distinctive Song Stylings" came out.
(d) Billie Holiday's "Ella, Lena And Billie" came out.
9. What does NWSA stand for?
(a) Not Willing to Say Anything.
(b) National Women's Studies Association.
(c) Need Women Saying All.
(d) National White Studies Agendas.
10. What does being a "Yellow Feminist" mean? (Merle Woo)
(a) Loving all people.
(b) Supporting peace worldwide.
(c) Being a "tree hugger."
(d) Being a community activist and humanist.
11. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The righting of the left-handed world.
(b) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
(c) The many headed demon of oppression.
(d) The oppression of men.
12. What drives Barbara Smith crazy, according to the "Sister-to-Sister Dialogue"?
(a) White women choosing not to finish school.
(b) Black women taking steretypical jobs.
(c) Life not being fair.
(d) Women being taken for granted.
13. When did the Combahee River Collective first begin to meet?
14. Mirtha Quintanales claims that there is no such thing as __________.
(a) A melting pot.
15. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
(a) Our culture.
(b) Our humanity.
(c) Our past.
(d) Our language.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was the first piece of Hattie Gossett's book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
2. What humorous answer does Barbara Smith give to the following question that her sister poses to her: "Is there any oppression that women experience that is that total, in other words literally affects their physical well-being on a day to day basis?
3. What does Gloria Anzaldua say that women have to lose?
4. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
5. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)