|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
(a) Erin Wolf.
(c) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Judy Lucero.
2. According to Barbara Smith, what book did African American students have a hard time believing was about "white people"?
(a) "Invisible Man."
(b) "Diasy Miller."
(c) "The Sound and the Fury."
(d) "The Grapes of Wrath."
3. What does Gloria Anzaldua say women of color cannot allow?
(a) Being dehumanized.
(b) Being hurt.
(c) Being made fun of.
(d) Being tokenized.
4. In Cheryl Clarke's mind, what does "take care of us" equal?
(a) Control us.
(b) Love us.
(c) Limit us.
(d) Free us.
5. The introduction to "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" relates that Third Women are especially vulnerable to____________.
(a) The oppression of men.
(b) The submission that turns a face blue with anger.
(c) The righting of the left-handed world.
(d) The many headed demon of oppression.
6. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
(a) Finding one's own voice.
(b) Meditation with a guru.
(c) Telling the truth about the women's movement today.
(d) Writing the introduction to your own book.
7. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
(a) Black folks.
(c) Living morally.
(d) Giving back to society.
8. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) A wind to fill your sails.
(b) The first bloom from a cactus.
(c) A wave from the ocean.
(d) The first daffodil opening.
9. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
(a) A doctor.
(b) A miracle worker.
(c) An alchemist.
(d) A forgiver.
10. Who does Cheryl Clarke believe to be the real enemy to lesbians?
(a) Each other.
(b) Heterosexual women.
(c) "The Man."
(d) Balck men.
11. What does Chrystos pass around the circle in her poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading"?
(a) A cloud.
(b) A leaf.
(c) A shell.
(d) A rock.
12. "The lesbian of color is not only invisible, she does not even __________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
(c) Prove her worthiness.
13. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
14. What essay of Cherrie Moraga's does Naomi Littlebear refer to by referencing a six-pack of beer?
(a) "The Last Generation."
(b) "Heroes and Spirits."
(c) "The Hungry Woman."
(d) "La Guera."
15. The introduction of "El Mundo Zurdo: The Vision" claims autonomy is NOT __________.
Short Answer Questions
1. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
2. What is one of Gloria Anzaldua's biggest fears?
3. How does a woman who chooses to be a lesbian, according to Cheryl Clarke, live?
4. What does NWSA stand for?
5. Why does Beverly Smith get "so frustrated"?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)