|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Combahee River Collective, whose job is it to eliminate racism in the white women's movement?
(a) Third World Writers.
(b) Black women.
(c) All women.
(d) White women.
2. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
(a) Waves on the ocean.
(c) Crushing blows from an enemy.
(d) Polar opposites.
3. When was the first piece of Hattie Gossett's book "my soul looks back in wonder/wild wimmin don't get no blues" written?
4. How does a woman who chooses to be a lesbian, according to Cheryl Clarke, live?
(c) In hiding.
5. From what does writing save Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) The lies that have been told about her.
(b) The complacency she fears.
(c) Her past.
(d) The life that she is running from.
6. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
(a) Our humanity.
(b) Our language.
(c) Our culture.
(d) Our past.
7. What does being a "Yellow Feminist" mean? (Merle Woo)
(a) Being a "tree hugger."
(b) Being a community activist and humanist.
(c) Supporting peace worldwide.
(d) Loving all people.
8. "Even though we go hungry we are not impoverished of ________________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
9. According to Mirtha Quintanales, what is racism?
(a) A problem that will never go away.
(b) A Big Monster.
(d) A nightmare.
10. What is the NBFO?
(a) The National Bisexual Founders Organization.
(b) The National Black Feminist Organization.
(c) The Negro-Based Feminist Organization.
(d) The New Belief in Freedom Organization.
11. In "La Prieta," what are "old selves" compared to?
(a) A favorite pair of jeans.
(b) A ratty t-shirt.
(c) An old shoe.
(d) A first love.
12. According to Nellie Wong, if one sings about woe too often the person is accused of ___________.
(a) Being "too narrow-minded."
(b) Being "too personal."
(c) Being "too weak."
(d) Being "too limited."
13. What relationships are important to Gloria Anzaldua?
(a) The ones with humanity.
(b) The ones with others.
(c) The ones with others and self.
(d) The ones within our culture.
14. According to Barbara Noda, what sang out to her in "Lowriding Through the Women's Movement"?
15. According to the Combahee River Collective, what did they claim as being recognized as being enough?
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives Barbara Smith crazy, according to the "Sister-to-Sister Dialogue"?
2. As stated by the Combahee River Collective, what did "smart" equal?
3. Combahee River Collective defined the American political system as________________.
4. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
5. "Certainly ____________ is not just a white phenomenon." (Gloria Anzaldua)
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)