|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of crisis does Hattie Gossett claim there is at the time of her book's release?
(a) World-wide employment crisis.
(b) National literacy crisis.
(c) World-wide literacy crisis.
(d) National employment crisis.
2. Who was Gloria Anzaldua's first love?
(a) A Poodle.
(b) A Collie.
(c) A Corgi.
(d) A German Shepherd.
3. To whom is Merle Woo's letter written to? (January, 1980)
(a) Her "ma."
(b) Her lover.
(c) Her father.
(d) Her sister.
4. What does Chrystos want to give "you"? ("Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading")
(a) A wave from the ocean.
(b) A wind to fill your sails.
(c) The first bloom from a cactus.
(d) The first daffodil opening.
5. What metaphor does Gloria Anzaldua use to compare writing to?
(a) "The tiger riding our backs."
(b) "The wind that fills the sails."
(c) "The green of the earth."
(d) "The mouth of the dragon."
6. What book did Naomi Littlebear send to Cherrie Moraga?
(a) "The Dark Side of the Moon."
(b) "When Women Love Women."
(c) "The Mirror Never Lies."
(d) "The Sinner Inside."
7. According to Gloria Anzaldua, fears act like __________.
(a) Waves on the ocean.
(b) Crushing blows from an enemy.
(c) Polar opposites.
8. Why does Nellie Wong claim that "you" (a writer/her) will not stop working and writing?
(a) You will not extinguish the fire in yourself.
(b) It is too important.
(c) You care, refuse to give up, and won't submit.
(d) It means too much to those that read it.
9. What does Hattie Gossett claim nobody cares about in the '80s?
(a) Living morally.
(b) Giving back to society.
(d) Black folks.
10. When Gloria Anzaldua was born, what did Mamagranda Locha look for on her?
(a) A sign of greatness.
(b) Signs of whiteness.
(c) Mulatto blood.
(d) A birthmark in the shape of a star.
11. What is the brown thigh bone carved with in "Give Me Back"?
(a) The teeth of a babe.
(b) The bare fingers of a woman.
(c) A rock from the ocean.
(d) An eagle's beak.
12. What does Gloria Anzaldua say that women have to lose?
(a) Only their sanity.
(b) Nothing, they never had any privileges.
(c) Only their souls.
13. In her letter to Barbara Smith, Mirtha Quintanales tells Smith about ___________.
(b) San Francisco.
(c) New York.
14. What does Cherrie Moraga claim that she is NOT in the poem "The Welder"?
(a) A miracle worker.
(b) An alchemist.
(c) A forgiver.
(d) A doctor.
15. Who wrote the poem "I speak in an illusion"?
(a) Erin Wolf.
(b) Sylvia Plath.
(d) Judy Lucero.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to "Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers," what do "white eyes" not bother to learn?
2. Cheryl Clarke identifies a lesbian as ________________.
3. Who was Malintzin's lover?
4. What relationships are important to Gloria Anzaldua?
5. What is no black person in this country surprised about? (Smith/Smith dialogue)
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)