|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "Women who must sell _________________ for pennies a day" is a quote from "Wonder Woman."
(a) Their own garden items.
(d) Their children.
2. What does the narrator croon in "I Am What I Am"?
(a) Rafael Ithier poetry.
(b) Skitzo rap.
(c) Carlos Gardel tangoes.
(d) Jorge Arraiza songs.
3. Who wrote "When I Was Growing Up"?
(a) Phillis Wheatley.
(b) Nellie Wong.
(c) Rita Dove.
(d) Qui Jin.
4. Where did the author of "La Guera's" mother work while lying about her age?
(a) A sandwich shop.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A racetrack.
(d) A factory.
5. What was the narrator of "Dreams of Violence" awakened by in the writing?
(c) School children.
(d) Gun fire.
6. Why was the author of "La Guera" pulled out of school at the ages of five, seven, nine, and eleven?
(a) To work in a silk factory.
(b) To work in a factory.
(c) To take care of her ailing mother.
(d) To work in the fields.
7. Who wrote out the checks for the author's mother when she was at the grocery store? ("La Guera")
(a) The author.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The cashier.
8. What did the subject in the poem, "on not bein," not ever want to be?
9. What "problem" is addressed in the first section of the book?
(a) Color problem.
(b) Writing problem.
(c) Success problem.
(d) Gender problem.
10. What did the author of "When I Was Growing Up" long to be?
11. According to a reference to another author in "La Guera," where must one look to find the dream?
(a) The nightmare.
(b) To the past.
(c) The inner self.
(d) The ego.
12. According the Doris Davenport, why is the feminist movement racist?
(c) Failure to accept all women.
(d) White women.
13. What does the narrator say she is in "I Am What I Am"?
(a) An African American.
(b) A Spaniard.
(c) A U.S. American.
(d) A Mexican.
14. What author did the narrator from "I Am What I Am" read "thru three or four times"?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) James Fenimore Cooper.
(c) Arthur Miller.
15. What does Gabrielle Daniels claim is the only thing for which Millicent would rise?
(a) The sake of art.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the introduction to the first section of the book, what will readers find voices from?
2. Who wrote "It's In My Blood, My Face- My mother's Voice, The Way I Sweat"?
3. "Light was _________," according to the narrator in "La Guera."
4. What word did Gloria and Merlin wish to define for themselves, based upon their choice to leave a national feminist writers movement?
5. What nationality does the narrator of "I Am What I Am" find funny in the way that they speak?
This section contains 451 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)