|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author of "When I Was Growing Up"' sisters get praised?
(a) For their success in following the rules of white society.
(b) For their rigidity following mainstream thought.
(c) For their fair skin.
(d) For their success in school.
2. What does "la guera" mean?
3. According to Cherrie Moraga, what does lesbianism equal in "this country"?
(b) Second-class citizenship.
4. "For it is only under a patriarchal structure that _____________ is the only social power open to women," according to Audra Lorde.
5. Who confided in Cherrie Moraga that he felt she didn't trust him because he was a male?
(a) Her father.
(b) Her college mentor.
(c) Her brother.
(d) A gay friend.
6. In "Wonder Woman," what does the narrator wonder about the women whom she stares at?
(a) If they notice her the way she notices them.
(b) If they wish to be someone else.
(c) If they share her dreams.
(d) If they are afraid of who they are.
7. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
(a) A National Sacrifice area for energy.
(b) All Americans.
(d) Native Inhabitants.
8. Between what two things does Chrystos believe that women of color must make a choice?
(a) Love of place and love of self.
(b) Culture and Americanism.
(c) Womanhood and motherhood.
(d) Ethnicity and womanhood.
9. According to the introduction, for whom do Third World women put themselves on the line for?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their selves.
(c) Their darker sisters.
(d) Their homelands.
10. According to Judit Moschkovich, what happens when a person denies who they are, where they come from, and how they feel?
(a) They become hardened against others.
(b) They end up hating themselves.
(c) They assimilate to the societal constant.
(d) They fail to find a place for themselves.
11. According to Doris Davenport, what is wrong with the word "racism"?
(a) Too specific.
(b) Too much incorrect history.
(c) Too accepted.
(d) Too general and simplistic.
12. How old was the narrator's mother when she was the main support of her family? ("La Guera")
13. What is Latin American culture dominated by as related in "But I know You, American Woman"?
(a) European culture.
(b) Native American culture.
(c) American mass culture.
(d) Spanish culture.
14. What does "braceros" mean?
15. What state did the narrator move back to in her mind in "Dreams of Violence"?
(d) South Carolina.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chrystos declare that she is afraid of in "I Don't Understand Those Who Have Turned Away From Me"?
2. According to an essay by Rosario Morales in April 1980, by what does "this society" divides us?
3. What does the narrator in "Wonder Woman" see on sidewalks?
4. What must one do to become visible, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
5. Who wrote "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)