|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "The Brown Menace/Poem to the Survival of Roaches"?
(a) Audre Lorde.
(b) Tee Corinne.
(c) Gayl Jones.
(d) Hattie Gossett.
2. What does "braceros" mean?
3. "Light was _________," according to the narrator in "La Guera."
4. Why was the author of "La Guera" pulled out of school at the ages of five, seven, nine, and eleven?
(a) To work in the fields.
(b) To take care of her ailing mother.
(c) To work in a silk factory.
(d) To work in a factory.
5. Who wrote "When I Was Growing Up"?
(a) Rita Dove.
(b) Phillis Wheatley.
(c) Nellie Wong.
(d) Qui Jin.
6. Who did the subject from "on not bein" marry?
(a) Her parent's choice of husband.
(b) The man who took her virginity.
(c) The first man to ask her.
(d) A man who made her parents mad.
7. Who wrote out the checks for the author's mother when she was at the grocery store? ("La Guera")
(a) The cashier.
(b) Her son.
(c) Her husband.
(d) The author.
8. According to the introduction to the first section of the book, what will readers find voices from?
9. What happened to the narrator in the poem "For the Color of My Mother" when she was two?
(a) She split her lip open.
(b) She broke her leg.
(c) She fell off of a roof.
(d) She was attacked by a dog.
10. In "Wonder Woman," what does the narrator wonder about the women whom she stares at?
(a) If they share her dreams.
(b) If they notice her the way she notices them.
(c) If they wish to be someone else.
(d) If they are afraid of who they are.
11. According to Chrystos, what is no longer considered a tool that can eliminate racism?
12. Of what race is Gloria?
(c) African American.
13. According the Doris Davenport, why is the feminist movement racist?
(b) White women.
(c) Failure to accept all women.
14. In the poem "on not bein," what is the subject's chest compared to?
(a) Hershey's kisses.
15. According to the introduction, for whom do Third World women put themselves on the line for?
(a) Their selves.
(b) Their parents.
(c) Their darker sisters.
(d) Their homelands.
Short Answer Questions
1. Between what two things does Chrystos believe that women of color must make a choice?
2. Rosario Morales claims that color and class do not define what two things?
3. What did the subject in the poem, "on not bein," not ever want to be?
4. Where did the author of "La Guera's" mother work while lying about her age?
5. What was the narrator of "Dreams of Violence" awakened by in the writing?
This section contains 471 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)