|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did the author of "When I Was Growing Up"' sisters get praised?
(a) For their success in following the rules of white society.
(b) For their rigidity following mainstream thought.
(c) For their fair skin.
(d) For their success in school.
2. What does the narrator say she is in "I Am What I Am"?
(a) A Mexican.
(b) An African American.
(c) A Spaniard.
(d) A U.S. American.
3. According to Audre Lorde, what must exist for liberation to exist?
(b) Sense of self.
4. Who wrote "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Wendy Law-Yone.
(b) Gish Jen.
(c) Mitsuye Yamada.
(d) Theresa Hak Kyung Cha.
5. What was the name of the anthology that the author of "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman" taught for a segment of Ethnic American Literature?
(a) "Topography of War."
(c) "Echoes Upon Echoes: New Korean American Writings."
(d) "Voices Wandered: An Anthology of Poetry Art by Asian American Youth."
6. Who wrote out the checks for the author's mother when she was at the grocery store? ("La Guera")
(a) Her husband.
(b) The author.
(c) The cashier.
(d) Her son.
7. Who wrote "I Am What I Am"?
(a) Patricia Smith.
(b) Toni Morrison.
(c) Rosario Morales.
(d) Lynne Hanley.
8. Who wrote "When I Was Growing Up"?
(a) Rita Dove.
(b) Qui Jin.
(c) Phillis Wheatley.
(d) Nellie Wong.
9. Who wrote "For the Color of My Mother"?
(a) Cherrie Moraga.
(b) Rita M. Gross.
(c) Erica Jong.
(d) Ekaterina Sedia.
10. What did the author of "When I Was Growing Up" long to be?
11. From the poem "And When you Leave, Take Your Pictures with You," what do "white sisters" love to own?
(a) Pictures of "us."
(b) Modern slaves.
(d) The promise that they are better than others.
12. What must one do to become visible, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Be honored by our culture.
(b) Succeed in the face of society.
(c) Refuse to separate the actor from thier actions.
(d) Trust in ourselves.
13. What does the author want to make changes in, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Society as a whole.
(b) Her family.
(c) Personal culture.
(d) Man made disasters.
14. According to Doris Davenport, what is the cause of racism in white feminists?
(b) Bizarre oppression.
(d) Hatred of those not white.
15. Who provided the scholarship for Gloria to attend the workshop on goddesses and heroines?
(a) Cherrie Moraga.
(b) Merlin Stone.
(c) Toni Bambara.
(d) Donna Rushin.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word have feminists "had it with"?
2. What author did the narrator from "I Am What I Am" read "thru three or four times"?
3. According to Cherrie Moraga, what does lesbianism equal in "this country"?
4. What culture does Judit Moschkovich align with Latin culture?
5. "We challenge symptoms of the disease while neglecting the _________________," as related in "The Pathology of Racism" by Davenport.
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)