|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month in 1979, did Gloria attend a women's retreat in California?
2. What author did the narrator from "I Am What I Am" read "thru three or four times"?
(a) Edgar Allen Poe.
(b) James Fenimore Cooper.
(c) Arthur Miller.
3. According to Audre Lorde, what must exist for liberation to exist?
(a) Sense of self.
4. What does Chrystos declare that she is afraid of in "I Don't Understand Those Who Have Turned Away From Me"?
(b) Her own culture.
(c) White people.
5. Why does Rosario Morales carry a "pole 18 inches long"?
(a) To protect herself from America.
(b) To protect herself from 13-89 year old men.
(c) To protect herself from right-winged feminists.
(d) To maintain her right to be proud of her culture.
6. According to Rosario Morales, who is capable of being racist?
(a) Only whites.
(b) Only those whom carry superiority complexes.
(d) Only women.
7. What taught Cherrie Moraga that "we are not human beings"?
(a) Her failure in school.
(b) Her lesbianism.
(c) Her oppression for being female.
(d) Her Chicana heritage.
8. What does the narrator croon in "I Am What I Am"?
(a) Carlos Gardel tangoes.
(b) Skitzo rap.
(c) Jorge Arraiza songs.
(d) Rafael Ithier poetry.
9. What does "braceros" mean?
10. According to Chrystos, what is no longer considered a tool that can eliminate racism?
11. According to a reference to another author in "La Guera," where must one look to find the dream?
(a) The ego.
(b) The inner self.
(c) To the past.
(d) The nightmare.
12. Rosario Morales claims that color and class do not define what two things?
(a) People and culture.
(b) People or politics.
(c) Success and failure.
(d) Quality of education and money.
13. Who wrote "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Mitsuye Yamada.
(b) Theresa Hak Kyung Cha.
(c) Wendy Law-Yone.
(d) Gish Jen.
14. According the Doris Davenport, why is the feminist movement racist?
(a) White women.
(c) Failure to accept all women.
15. According to the introduction to the first section of the book, what will readers find voices from?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was the author of "La Guera" pulled out of school at the ages of five, seven, nine, and eleven?
2. What word did Gloria and Merlin wish to define for themselves, based upon their choice to leave a national feminist writers movement?
3. What does the author want to make changes in, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
4. Between what two things does Chrystos believe that women of color must make a choice?
5. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
This section contains 499 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)