|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote "on not bein"?
(a) Maya Angelou.
(c) Mary Hope Lee.
(d) Imamu Amiri Baraka.
2. What does "la guera" mean?
3. Rosario Morales claims that color and class do not define what two things?
(a) People or politics.
(b) People and culture.
(c) Quality of education and money.
(d) Success and failure.
4. Why did the author of "When I Was Growing Up"' sisters get praised?
(a) For their success in school.
(b) For their rigidity following mainstream thought.
(c) For their fair skin.
(d) For their success in following the rules of white society.
5. What does the author want to make changes in, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Man made disasters.
(b) Personal culture.
(c) Her family.
(d) Society as a whole.
6. Who is quoted at the beginning of "Children Passing in the Streets" as saying, "I learned to make my mind large, as the universe is large, so that there is room for paradoxes"?
(b) Mitsuye Yamada.
(c) Barbara Smith.
(d) Maxine Hong Kingston.
7. What was the narrator of "Dreams of Violence" awakened by in the writing?
(b) Gun fire.
(c) School children.
8. According to the introduction, for whom do Third World women put themselves on the line for?
(a) Their parents.
(b) Their homelands.
(c) Their selves.
(d) Their darker sisters.
9. What does Audre Lorde consider wasted energy, as related in"An Open Letter To Mary Daly"?
(a) Trying to be a feminist.
(b) Trying to change racism.
(c) Speaking to white women about racism.
(d) Speaking to feminists about racism.
10. According to the introduction to the first section of the book, what will readers find voices from?
11. According to Chrystos, what is no longer considered a tool that can eliminate racism?
12. Who is quoted at the beginning of the poem "on not bein"?
(a) Marilyn French.
(b) Ntozake Shange.
(c) Sandy Boucher.
(d) Marleen Barr.
13. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
(a) Native Inhabitants.
(b) All Americans.
(c) A National Sacrifice area for energy.
14. What taught Cherrie Moraga that "we are not human beings"?
(a) Her lesbianism.
(b) Her Chicana heritage.
(c) Her failure in school.
(d) Her oppression for being female.
15. Why was the author of "La Guera" pulled out of school at the ages of five, seven, nine, and eleven?
(a) To work in a silk factory.
(b) To work in the fields.
(c) To take care of her ailing mother.
(d) To work in a factory.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "I Am What I Am"?
2. In the poem "on not bein," what is the subject's chest compared to?
3. What is Latin American culture dominated by as related in "But I know You, American Woman"?
4. What must one do to become visible, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
5. According to Judit Moschkovich, what happens when a person denies who they are, where they come from, and how they feel?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)