|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what month in 1979, did Gloria attend a women's retreat in California?
2. Who wrote "When I Was Growing Up"?
(a) Qui Jin.
(b) Rita Dove.
(c) Phillis Wheatley.
(d) Nellie Wong.
3. What must one do to become visible, according to "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman"?
(a) Refuse to separate the actor from thier actions.
(b) Trust in ourselves.
(c) Be honored by our culture.
(d) Succeed in the face of society.
4. According to Cheryl Clarke, of whom are black women envious?
(a) Wealthy women.
(b) Women whom have made a name for themselves in the white man's world.
(c) Women with morals.
(d) Pampered "powder puffs."
5. According to Judit Moschkovich, what happens when a person denies who they are, where they come from, and how they feel?
(a) They assimilate to the societal constant.
(b) They end up hating themselves.
(c) They fail to find a place for themselves.
(d) They become hardened against others.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Hattie Gossett claim "is really a drag"?
2. Rosario Morales claims that color and class do not define what two things?
3. Why does Nellie Wong bring up Sylvia Plath and Anne Sexton?
4. Who was Malintzin's lover?
5. What does Chrystos pass around the circle in her poem "Ceremony for Completing a Poetry Reading"?
This section contains 267 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)