|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does "la guera" mean?
2. What metaphor does Gloria Anzaldua use to compare writing to?
(a) "The tiger riding our backs."
(b) "The wind that fills the sails."
(c) "The green of the earth."
(d) "The mouth of the dragon."
3. What does Chrystos declare that she is afraid of in "I Don't Understand Those Who Have Turned Away From Me"?
(a) Her own culture.
(d) White people.
4. According to a reference to another author in "La Guera," where must one look to find the dream?
(a) To the past.
(b) The inner self.
(c) The nightmare.
(d) The ego.
5. When was "La Guera" written?
(a) July, 1956.
(b) October, 1963.
(c) January, 1990.
(d) September, 1979.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the footnotes for Jo Carrillo's poem "Beyond the Cliffs of Abiquiu," to what land is the poem dedicated?
2. Where was the author of "La Guera"'s mother born?
3. "The lesbian of color is not only invisible, she does not even __________." ("Speaking in Tongues: A Letter to 3rd World Women Writers")
4. According to the introduction of "Speaking in Tongues: The Third World Woman Writer," a woman who writes has __________.
5. According to the author of "Invisibility is an Unnatural Disaster: Reflections of an Asian American Woman," what do "we" do when we put "acts of God" on an equal playing field with man?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)