|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Karl suggest when Toby cannot tell him that he wants money, success, and acceptance out of life?
2. What does Toby think is funny while at the tailor?
3. How does Toby spend his $80?
4. Which of the following does Toby NOT do in Dwight's house?
5. How does Toby react when he and Mr. Howard overhear Huff having an embarrassing conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is different now between Toby and Geoffrey?
2. Describe the older boys Toby hangs out with.
3. Why does Mr. Howard think Hill will be tough on Toby? How does Toby respond?
4. Why can't Toby apologize to the Welshes? How do Chuck and Mr. Bolger react to this?
5. Why does Toby run away slowly from the drugstore worker? What does this tell the reader about Toby? Why does no one stop Toby?
6. How does Toby find a letter from Rosemary's brother, Stephen? What does Toby do about it?
7. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
8. Why does Toby take Dwight's guns?
9. What news does Toby receive from Hill? How does he react?
10. How much money does Toby take to the Gathering of the Tribes? Where did he get this money, and what does he plan to do with it? Does he succeed?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Dwight is a cruel, inhuman man who makes life miserable for everyone around him.
Part 1) Using specific examples, provide evidence of Dwight's mental instability.
Part 2) Explain the impact that Dwight's actions and behavior have on his children and Rosemary.
Part 3) Dwight has an especially negative impact on Toby's life. Provide evidence of his poor treatment of Toby, and explore the ways in which this treatment shapes Toby's life.
Essay Topic 2
When Toby's friends get him drunk, he falls from a tree branch and down a concrete hill. As he falls, he keeps his hands in his pockets. What does this demonstrate about Toby? How does this incident affect our understanding of Toby's character? In your opinion, what would have to be different about Toby to motivate him to take his hands out of his pockets?
Essay Topic 3
Explore the theme of innocence throughout the book. Why does Toby say that kids think they will be innocent forever? In what moments does Toby lose his innocence? Has Toby ever been innocent? Cite specific examples to support your conclusions.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)