|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Toby falls from a tree branch down a concrete hill, what demonstrates his disinterest in saving his own life?
2. Why does Arthur act like a sissy as they prepare to go home?
3. Why does Toby takes Dwight's guns?
4. What does Arthur do when Toby arrives in California?
5. What does Toby tell Mrs. Howard when she asks how his mother is coping with her son moving so far away?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
2. What does Toby have to do before Stephen will let him come to Paris?
3. How much money does Toby take to the Gathering of the Tribes? Where did he get this money, and what does he plan to do with it? Does he succeed?
4. How does Toby find a letter from Rosemary's brother, Stephen? What does Toby do about it?
5. Why does Arthur tell lies? What lies does he tell? Why doesn't Toby say anything when he knows the things Arthur says aren't true?
6. Why does Geoffrey think Toby can get a scholarship from a prep school? What efforts does Toby make to be accepted by a prep school?
7. What is different now between Toby and Geoffrey?
8. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
9. Describe Norma's boyfriend Kenneth.
10. Why do Toby and his friends go to the Welsh's farm? What happens as a result of their actions?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When he applies to prep schools, Toby fakes transcripts and letters of recommendation. His lies do not help him, and every school rejects him. How does this reflect Toby's life? What does this suggest about the success of his actions in other parts of his life? Cite a specific example of a time when telling the truth would have served Toby better than lying, and explain your choice.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Dwight, Mr. Howard, and Roy. What makes these men different from each other? Describe, with specific examples, the effect they have on Toby's life.
Essay Topic 3
When Toby's friends get him drunk, he falls from a tree branch and down a concrete hill. As he falls, he keeps his hands in his pockets. What does this demonstrate about Toby? How does this incident affect our understanding of Toby's character? In your opinion, what would have to be different about Toby to motivate him to take his hands out of his pockets?
This section contains 985 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)