|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the one offense Toby's mother cannot forgive him for?
2. What is Geoffrey's plan for Toby?
3. At Arthur's house one night, Toby and Arthur kiss. What happens as a result?
4. Why does Rosemary campaign for Senator Jackson and John F. Kennedy?
5. How does Toby react when he and Mr. Howard overhear Huff having an embarrassing conversation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Arthur tell lies? What lies does he tell? Why doesn't Toby say anything when he knows the things Arthur says aren't true?
2. At the end of the book, what does Toby say about children? Give an example of this from the book.
3. Why can't Toby apologize to the Welshes? How do Chuck and Mr. Bolger react to this?
4. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
5. At the tailor, Toby is surprised to see that he looks hopeful. How is this different from other points in the book? What does Toby tell himself?
6. What is different now between Toby and Geoffrey?
7. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
8. Describe a smoker.
9. Who does Rosemary campaign for? Why does this make Dwight angry? How does this affect Toby's home life?
10. What news does Toby receive from Hill? How does he react?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Detail the chain of events that lead to Toby's invitation to Paris. What is required of Toby before he can go? How do the people in Toby's life react to the news? In your opinion, why does Toby decide not to go to Paris? Include specific examples to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Toby believes that by changing his name and his appearance, he will change his identity. Provide specific examples of this. Discuss why Toby has this belief and how it influences what he presents to the world.
Essay Topic 3
Toby returns to his house one night while Pearl and Dwight are away. What does he find there? How does this reflect who Toby is? What does Toby do before he leaves the house? Why does he do this, and what do his actions signify?
This section contains 898 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)