|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toby never calls Arthur a liar because:
2. Toby considers ________ to be home.
3. What does Mr. Howard think will be difficult for Toby to adjust to at Hill?
4. What does Toby think is funny while at the tailor?
5. How does Geoffrey try to keep Toby out of trouble?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Toby try to spend more time with Pearl? What does this show about how their relationship has changed?
2. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
3. At the tailor, Toby is surprised to see that he looks hopeful. How is this different from other points in the book? What does Toby tell himself?
4. At the end of the book, what does Toby say about children? Give an example of this from the book.
5. What do Toby's friends want to do for him? How successful are they?
6. How much money does Toby take to the Gathering of the Tribes? Where did he get this money, and what does he plan to do with it? Does he succeed?
7. Why does Geoffrey think Toby can get a scholarship from a prep school? What efforts does Toby make to be accepted by a prep school?
8. Why is Chuck pressured to marry Tina Flood?
9. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
10. Why does Arthur tell lies? What lies does he tell? Why doesn't Toby say anything when he knows the things Arthur says aren't true?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How would Toby's life be different with a supportive parental figure in his life? Using detailed examples pick four moments in the book that had a significant impact on Toby and explore how those moments would have been different with a more loving, caring parent. Would Toby's life have changed for the better or for the worse?
Essay Topic 2
Toby returns to his house one night while Pearl and Dwight are away. What does he find there? How does this reflect who Toby is? What does Toby do before he leaves the house? Why does he do this, and what do his actions signify?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dwight, Mr. Howard, and Roy. What makes these men different from each other? Describe, with specific examples, the effect they have on Toby's life.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)