|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight make Toby do to keep him busy?
2. What do Pearl and Toby do when Rosemary takes their picture?
3. What year is the Ford that Skipper works through high school to rebuild?
4. When Toby's mother was little, she rode in a parade float called the "End of the Rainbow." What does this suggest about Toby's mother?
5. What prompts Toby to convince his mother to buy him souvenirs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how Toby and Roy act towards Toby's mother.
2. Describe Toby's basketball game against Van Horn.
3. Why do Norma and Bobby Crow take Toby to his basketball games? How does Toby feel about it?
4. What is Toby's attitude toward Dwight?
5. What does Skipper say when Toby asks to come with him to Mexico? Does his answer change later?
6. When Toby arrives at Dwight's house, how does he treat Toby? Provide specific examples.
7. How does the car look when Skipper returns from Mexico? How does Skipper feel about the car?
8. How does the Vice Principal find out who vandalized the bathroom wall?
9. Describe Rosemary's father.
10. How does Toby react when Roy asks him if he would like a little brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rosemary treats Toby more like a friend than like a son. She allows him to make decisions that no child should have to make. Discuss these decisions, using specific examples. Explain how her treatment of Toby shapes his life and his behavior. How does Toby's attitude toward his mother reflect her poor parenting skills?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the book, Toby believes that by changing his name and his appearance, he will change his identity. Provide specific examples of this. Discuss why Toby has this belief and how it influences what he presents to the world.
Essay Topic 3
Detail the chain of events that lead to Toby's invitation to Paris. What is required of Toby before he can go? How do the people in Toby's life react to the news? In your opinion, why does Toby decide not to go to Paris? Include specific examples to support your reasoning.
This section contains 887 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)