|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Toby's mother returns from dinner with Gil?
2. What is the condition under which Toby's mother agrees to let him change his name?
3. What did the note from Sister James say?
4. Why does Toby like Norma's boyfriend Bobby?
5. What does Toby steal money to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Dwight react to the news of Toby's fight?
2. What happens when Toby shoots a squirrel?
3. What activities do Rosemary and Dwight participate in at the local rifle club? How well do they perform?
4. What does Skipper say when Toby asks to come with him to Mexico? Does his answer change later?
5. Describe the boys Toby is friends with in Seattle.
6. What is the significance of the drink that Judd brings to Toby?
7. How does Rosemary react when she is told Toby's crime?
8. When Toby arrives at Dwight's house, how does he treat Toby? Provide specific examples.
9. What happens when Toby wants to take Roy's gun when he and his mother prepare to leave Roy's house?
10. What sins does Toby confess before his baptism? Why does he confess these sins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Toby and Chuck return to the Welsh farm to apologize for their actions, Mr. Welsh is watching his children build a fence. Toby notes that the fence seems to serve no purpose. What does the fence symbolize? How does it illuminate the condition of the Welsh family and their farm? How does this reflect the state of Chinook as a whole?
Essay Topic 2
Rosemary lives in a fantasy world. She never sees the worst of people until it is too late and makes poor decisions for herself and her son. Citing specific examples from the text, discuss how Rosemary's attitude has a negative impact on her and Toby's life. Explain why Rosemary acts the way she does and how this in turn influences Toby's behavior.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Dwight, Mr. Howard, and Roy. What makes these men different from each other? Describe, with specific examples, the effect they have on Toby's life.
This section contains 956 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)