|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toby is crushed when he realizes that Bobby and Norma were having sex while he played basketball. What does this prompt Toby to fantasize about?
2. Why does Toby want Roy's Winchester .22 rifle?
3. What is the upsetting question Roy asks Toby?
4. Why doesn't Rosemary live with Toby and Dwight?
5. What is the name of the nun who teaches Toby's catechism class?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Toby wants to take Roy's gun when he and his mother prepare to leave Roy's house?
2. What does Rosemary say to Toby about Dwight?
3. What does Toby hope to do in Chinook?
4. How does Rosemary react when she is told Toby's crime?
5. What do Toby and Pearl do in the car while they wait for Rosemary and Dwight outside the Marblemount tavern?
6. What sins does Toby confess before his baptism? Why does he confess these sins?
7. Describe Toby's mother.
8. What happens at the Thanksgiving turkey shoot?
9. What does Skipper say when Toby asks to come with him to Mexico? Does his answer change later?
10. How does Toby react when Roy asks him if he would like a little brother?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Whenever Rosemary suggests that Toby go for a ride with Dwight, Toby remembers Dwight taking Champion for a ride and shooting him. What kind of relationship does Toby have with Champion? How are Toby and Champion similar? How are they different? How are they both victims of Dwight's indifference and cruelty?
Essay Topic 2
Detail the chain of events that lead to Toby's invitation to Paris. What is required of Toby before he can go? How do the people in Toby's life react to the news? In your opinion, why does Toby decide not to go to Paris? Include specific examples to support your reasoning.
Essay Topic 3
Rosemary treats Toby more like a friend than like a son. She allows him to make decisions that no child should have to make. Discuss these decisions, using specific examples. Explain how her treatment of Toby shapes his life and his behavior. How does Toby's attitude toward his mother reflect her poor parenting skills?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)