|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Toby say when Dwight accuses him of stealing Old Crow?
(a) Toby says he is not the drinker in the house.
(b) Toby says it isn't his fault Dwight can't remember how much he has drunk.
(c) Toby denies drinking anything.
(d) Toby blames it on Skipper.
2. What does Rosemary tell Toby when she picks him up from Hill?
(a) Toby is exactly like his father.
(b) She is disappointed in Toby.
(c) She didn't expect anything better from Toby.
(d) Toby lasted longer than she thought he would.
3. Why won't Rosemary speak to Toby after the fight?
(a) She is angry at Dwight for showing Toby how to fight.
(b) She had bet money that Toby would win.
(c) She is ashamed of him.
(d) She doesn't want to encourage him to fight.
4. When Dwight takes Pearl with him to Seattle, he says he wants to see Norma. Pearl knows that:
(a) Dwight wants to make Toby feel left out.
(b) Dwight wants to see Rosemary and will use Pearl to get what he wants from Rosemary.
(c) Dwight doesn't trust Pearl alone in the house.
(d) Dwight wants to use what Norma has become as a bad example for Pearl.
5. What does Toby notice about Veronica's children?
(a) They do not look like their father.
(b) Their home life is no better than his.
(c) They have no hopes or dreams.
(d) They are too morose to play.
Short Answer Questions
1. Toby tells his family he will not be moving to Paris because:
2. When Arthur discovers that Toby has spent all his money, Arthur:
3. What does Toby realize about the fence Mr. Welsh's children are building?
4. Which of the following does not bother Toby about Arthur?
5. How does Dwight react when he finds out Toby got Dwight's car stuck in a ditch?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the tailor, Toby is surprised to see that he looks hopeful. How is this different from other points in the book? What does Toby tell himself?
2. Why does Toby try to spend more time with Pearl? What does this show about how their relationship has changed?
3. Describe the dog Toby is given.
4. Describe a smoker.
5. Why do Toby and his friends go to the Welsh's farm? What happens as a result of their actions?
6. Why is Chuck pressured to marry Tina Flood?
7. Why does Toby run away slowly from the drugstore worker? What does this tell the reader about Toby? Why does no one stop Toby?
8. How do Toby and Dwight say goodbye to each other?
9. How much money does Toby take to the Gathering of the Tribes? Where did he get this money, and what does he plan to do with it? Does he succeed?
10. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)