|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Toby spend his $80?
(a) He buys souvenirs for Pearl.
(b) He loses it in a poker game.
(c) On food and games.
(d) On two bus tickets to Alaska.
2. What happens when Toby gets angry with his children?
(a) He tries to discipline them properly.
(b) He doesn't make them think he doesn't love them.
(c) He hears Dwight's voice.
(d) He remembers Dwight's anger.
3. Which of the following is not a condition Toby must agree to before he can live in Mr. Bolger's house?
(a) Toby must help around the house and go to church.
(b) Toby must do his schoolwork.
(c) Toby cannot challenge Mr. Bolger's authority.
(d) Toby cannot drink, smoke, or swear.
4. Why does Mrs. Howard make Toby uncomfortable?
(a) Mrs. Howard is completely silent through their meal.
(b) Toby thinks she can see right through him.
(c) Mrs. Howard doesn't like Toby.
(d) Toby is afraid she will try to make him something he is not.
5. Why did Dwight give Champion to Toby?
(a) Dwight traded Toby's Winchester for the dog.
(b) Dwight found Champion on the side of the road.
(c) Dwight is beginning to like Toby.
(d) Rosemary wanted Toby to have a pet.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Geoffrey try to keep Toby out of trouble?
2. Why does Arthur act like a sissy as they prepare to go home?
3. What do Dwight and Toby find when they go upstairs to retrieve the chestnuts Toby peeled?
4. What prep school is Toby accepted to?
5. What does Toby realize about the fence Mr. Welsh's children are building?
Short Essay Questions
1. At the end of the book, what does Toby say about children? Give an example of this from the book.
2. Why does Toby run away slowly from the drugstore worker? What does this tell the reader about Toby? Why does no one stop Toby?
3. How does Kenneth act when he comes for Christmas dinner?
4. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
5. Why does Toby take Dwight's guns?
6. Describe the dog Toby is given.
7. What news does Toby receive from Hill? How does he react?
8. How much money does Toby take to the Gathering of the Tribes? Where did he get this money, and what does he plan to do with it? Does he succeed?
9. How does Toby find a letter from Rosemary's brother, Stephen? What does Toby do about it?
10. What does Toby have to do before Stephen will let him come to Paris?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)