|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Toby feel good about hitting Arthur?
(a) He thinks it will make him more popular in school.
(b) It is the first time Dwight views Toby in a way that makes him feel loved.
(c) He has grown to hate Arthur.
(d) Fighting makes him feel powerful.
2. Why does Tina Flood want to marry Chuck even though she doesn't know for sure that she is carrying his child?
(a) Marrying Chuck will make her parents angry.
(b) She knows he is the best catch and is trying to trap him.
(c) Her parents think Chuck would be a good husband.
(d) She knows Chuck won't beat her.
3. Why is Dwight nice to Rosemary after Toby leaves?
(a) Toby is out of the house.
(b) He has come into some money.
(c) He knows she is trying to leave.
(d) He has found religion.
4. Where does Toby plan to go when he steals checks from a bank?
5. Whenever Rosemary suggests that Toby go for a ride with Dwight, all Toby can think of is:
(a) Bearing the consequences of his mother's actions.
(b) Every time he's ridden with Dwight when Dwight is drunk.
(c) Dwight taking Champion for a ride in the car and shooting him.
(d) Realizing that his mother doesn't love him.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Dwight takes Pearl with him to Seattle, he says he wants to see Norma. Pearl knows that:
2. How does Dwight react when he finds out Toby got Dwight's car stuck in a ditch?
3. When does Toby get excited about the fight?
4. The next time Toby sees Bobby Crow after Norma has broken up with him, he notes that Bobby:
5. What is the one offense Toby's mother cannot forgive him for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Toby's friends want to do for him? How successful are they?
2. What does Dwight do with Toby's gun in Chapter 4 and why?
3. Why does Toby take Dwight's guns?
4. Describe the older boys Toby hangs out with.
5. Describe a smoker.
6. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
7. Why does Arthur tell lies? What lies does he tell? Why doesn't Toby say anything when he knows the things Arthur says aren't true?
8. Describe the dog Toby is given.
9. At the end of the book, what does Toby say about children? Give an example of this from the book.
10. What news does Toby receive from Hill? How does he react?
This section contains 1,024 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)