|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dwight react when he learns Toby may move to Paris?
(a) He is completely indifferent.
(b) He tells Toby positive things about the French, following each comment with an ignorant insult.
(c) He is furious.
(d) He tells Rosemary Toby has to leave.
2. What prep school is Toby accepted to?
(b) Choate and Exeter.
3. When Arthur discovers that Toby has spent all his money, Arthur:
(a) Runs away without Toby.
(b) Is angry, but forgives Toby.
(c) Ignores Toby, as Toby had ignored him.
(d) Gets into a fight with Toby.
4. What does Toby find in Dwight's room?
(a) Scouting paperwork Dwight was supposed to turn in.
(b) The old horse chestnuts.
(c) Toby's old Winchester.
(d) A gigantic stash of Old Crow.
5. What do Dwight and Toby find when they go upstairs to retrieve the chestnuts Toby peeled?
(a) Something has eaten most of the chestnuts.
(b) The towel the chestnuts were resting on is completely orange.
(c) The chestnuts are covered in mold and the road kill "beaver pelt" is nearly petrified.
(d) A mouse has made a nest in Dwight's "beaver pelt."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight find in the trash that prompts him to hit Toby?
2. Why does Toby feel good about hitting Arthur?
3. How does Toby react when he and Mr. Howard overhear Huff having an embarrassing conversation?
4. Which of the following does not bother Toby about Arthur?
5. When they discuss Toby's move to Paris, Rosemary tells Toby:
Short Essay Questions
1. At the tailor, Toby is surprised to see that he looks hopeful. How is this different from other points in the book? What does Toby tell himself?
2. How does Toby feel about his fight with Arthur? How does Dwight feel? How does Rosemary feel?
3. Why does Toby try to spend more time with Pearl? What does this show about how their relationship has changed?
4. How do Toby and Dwight say goodbye to each other?
5. Why does Mr. Howard think Hill will be tough on Toby? How does Toby respond?
6. Why does Arthur tell lies? What lies does he tell? Why doesn't Toby say anything when he knows the things Arthur says aren't true?
7. Describe a smoker.
8. Do you think Rosemary did the right thing when she separated her sons? Provide specific examples in your answer.
9. At the end of the book, what does Toby say about children? Give an example of this from the book.
10. How does Toby find a letter from Rosemary's brother, Stephen? What does Toby do about it?
This section contains 1,023 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)