|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when Mr. Welsh refuses Toby's help on the farm?
(a) Toby insults Mr. Welsh.
(b) It is the first time Toby feels disappointed in himself.
(c) Toby tries to give Mr. Welsh money instead.
(d) Mr. Bolger becomes angry with Mr. Welsh.
2. When Arthur discovers that Toby has spent all his money, Arthur:
(a) Ignores Toby, as Toby had ignored him.
(b) Gets into a fight with Toby.
(c) Runs away without Toby.
(d) Is angry, but forgives Toby.
3. At the Boy Scout Gathering of the Tribes, Toby plans to:
(a) Steal Dwight's car and leave Dwight in Seattle.
(b) Try to be made an Eagle Scout.
(c) Run away to Alaska.
(d) Win every competition.
4. How does Toby spend his $80?
(a) He loses it in a poker game.
(b) He buys souvenirs for Pearl.
(c) On food and games.
(d) On two bus tickets to Alaska.
5. What does Norma ask Rosemary?
(a) How to raise a family.
(b) Why Rosemary married Dwight.
(c) How old Rosemary was when she first married.
(d) What advice Rosemary can give Norma about marrying Kenneth.
6. What does Toby think is funny while at the tailor?
(a) So much care is being put into making Toby look the part.
(b) The Howards think he is deserving of what they're giving him.
(c) The tailor calls him Mr. Wolff with a straight face.
(d) He is given so many clothes.
7. What is it about Toby and Chuck's confession that makes Mr. Bolger feel better?
(a) Toby and Chuck admit they were drinking, and will not say who was with them.
(b) Chuck offers to go to the Welsh farm and make amends.
(c) Both boys apologize.
(d) Toby begs Mr. Bolger not to kick him out of the house.
8. What does Toby buy at a drugstore?
(a) Condoms and alcohol.
(b) Beef jerky and whiskey.
(d) Pipe tobacco and Old Spice.
9. What does Stephen offer in response to the letter Toby sends him?
(a) Stephen invites Toby to live with him in Paris.
(b) Stephen offers to pay for Toby to attend boarding school.
(c) Stephen says he plans to send money so Toby and Rosemary can get away from Dwight.
(d) Stephen offers to bring Toby and Rosemary to live with him in Paris.
10. Which of the following does Toby NOT do in Dwight's house?
(a) Make a sandwich.
(b) Vandalize Dwight's room.
(c) Look in his old room.
(d) Read Pearl's diary.
11. The next time Toby sees Bobby Crow after Norma has broken up with him, he notes that Bobby:
(a) Is trying to become successful.
(b) Has murder in his eyes.
(c) Will not even acknowledge Toby.
(d) Is still in love with Norma.
12. At Arthur's house one night, Toby and Arthur kiss. What happens as a result?
(b) They begin a relationship.
(c) From then on, they make fun of each other every time they feel they are getting too close.
(d) Their friendship falls apart.
13. Why won't Rosemary speak to Toby after the fight?
(a) She is ashamed of him.
(b) She is angry at Dwight for showing Toby how to fight.
(c) She had bet money that Toby would win.
(d) She doesn't want to encourage him to fight.
14. How does Toby react when he and Mr. Howard overhear Huff having an embarrassing conversation?
(a) He makes a face to show he is disgusted with the conversation.
(b) He ignores Huff and hopes Mr. Howard won't hear.
(c) He asks Mr. Howard if they can leave.
(d) He tells Huff to shut up.
15. After Rosemary and Toby talk about Toby's remaining tuition, Rosemary looks like she has dropped a burden. It is unclear if she is talking about:
(a) Her previous life or her poor decisions.
(b) Toby's transgressions or her own.
(c) Dwight or Arthur, Toby's father.
(d) Dwight or Toby.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Dwight nice to Rosemary after Toby leaves?
2. Why does Norma start dating Kenneth after high school?
3. Why does Toby feel good about hitting Arthur?
4. After getting Dwight's car stuck in a ditch, Toby sings instead of cursing because:
5. How does Toby find a letter from Rosemary's brother, Stephen?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)