|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following sins does Toby not include in his baptism confession?
(a) He talks behind his friends' backs.
(b) He has "bad thoughts."
(c) He hates his father.
(d) He steals money from his mother's wallet.
2. What happens when Toby's mother returns from dinner with Gil?
(a) She tells Toby that Gil will bring him a bike the next day.
(b) Toby hears her come in, but does not talk with her.
(c) She is crying, and Toby comforts her.
(d) She asks Toby what he thinks of Gil.
3. What television show does Toby watch every day with his friends?
(a) Seattle Bandstand.
(b) American Bandstand.
(c) American Idol.
(d) The Mickey Mouse Club.
4. What do Toby and the rest of the Archery Club shoot at?
(a) Cats and dogs.
(b) Tin cans and trash bags.
(c) Cats and each other.
(d) Each other.
5. Why does Toby act like he is sorry about the fight with Arthur?
(a) To stay friends with Arthur.
(b) To make his mother feel better.
(c) To impress Norma.
(d) To keep Dwight from getting angry.
6. Why does Toby say he wants to kill Dwight?
(a) To win Norma's approval.
(b) To shut Dwight up.
(c) To hurt Rosemary.
(d) To keep Dwight from hurting Rosemary.
7. How does Toby view his move to Chinook?
(a) An opportunity to create a new identity.
(b) A bad thing.
(c) A chance to have a real family.
(d) A chance to make new friends.
8. Toby braces himself "for the next curve" at the end of Chapter 3. Which of the following does this NOT refer to?
(a) Literally, the next curve in the road.
(b) The next curveball Dwight throws him.
(c) Toby's opportunity to start a better life.
(d) The dangerous life curve his mother has put him on.
9. Why does it upset Toby when Pearl throws her arms around Rosemary?
(a) Toby doesn't want to have to compete with anyone else for his mother's attention.
(b) Toby thinks his mother will like Pearl better than him.
(c) Pearl is doing it to annoy Toby.
(d) Toby is afraid Dwight won't like it.
10. Why does Toby like playing with the rifle?
(a) He loves having power over innocent people.
(b) It makes him feel more like a man.
(c) It makes him feel more like Roy's son.
(d) He feels like he is protecting innocent people.
11. Why do Toby and his mother believe they will be successful in Utah?
(a) Toby's mother has received a promising job offer.
(b) They have had it rough and deserve some good luck.
(c) Housing is cheap.
(d) The job market is very healthy.
12. Why doesn't Roy go with Toby and his mother when they move?
(a) Roy can't leave his job.
(b) Roy is on a camping trip.
(c) Toby's mother ends their relationship.
(d) Roy has disappeared.
13. Why does Skipper go to Tijuana, Mexico?
(a) To have the interior of his car upholstered.
(b) To look for work.
(c) To marry his high school sweetheart.
(d) To get away from Dwight and the family.
14. Why doesn't Toby's mother want him to take the rifle to Seattle with them?
(a) She's afraid it will cause trouble.
(b) She doesn't like guns, and it won't fit in the car.
(c) She doesn't think Toby deserves to have the rifle.
(d) She thinks Toby likes Roy better than he likes her.
15. How does Dwight react to Toby's involvement in the fight?
(a) He is proud.
(b) He becomes very angry and beats Toby.
(c) He takes away the money Toby makes on his paper route.
(d) He doesn't care.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dwight do on the drive to Chinook?
2. Why does Toby want Roy's Winchester .22 rifle?
3. Who takes Toby to his basketball games when Rosemary is working?
4. Why do Dwight and Toby pretend to have a normal family relationship when Rosemary visits?
5. How does Dwight react when Rosemary wins the turkey shoot?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)