|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following sins does Toby not include in his baptism confession?
(a) He has "bad thoughts."
(b) He steals money from his mother's wallet.
(c) He talks behind his friends' backs.
(d) He hates his father.
2. What does Dwight blame his poor aim on at the rifle club?
(c) Bad eyesight.
(d) The guns.
3. What does Dwight do at the tavern in Marblemount?
(a) Becomes extremely drunk.
(b) Asks for directions.
(c) Tries to sell the beaver pelt.
(d) Brings Toby inside and buys him dinner.
4. What event prompts Toby to rethink forgiving his father for abandoning him?
(a) The birth of Toby's first child.
(b) Toby and his father meet again and do not get along.
(c) Dwight constantly belittles Toby's father.
(d) Rosemary admitting to Toby that his father never liked him.
5. Why are Toby and his mother leaving Florida for Utah?
(a) Toby's father lives in Utah.
(b) Toby's mother has been offered a job in Utah.
(c) They are trying to escape Toby's mother's boyfriend.
(d) Toby's mother thinks Toby will receive a better education there.
6. How does Dwight react to Toby's involvement in the fight?
(a) He doesn't care.
(b) He is proud.
(c) He becomes very angry and beats Toby.
(d) He takes away the money Toby makes on his paper route.
7. Why doesn't Marian approve of Gil?
(a) Gil insults her.
(b) He honks the car horn instead of coming to the door.
(c) She thinks Toby's mother can do better.
(d) She doesn't like his car.
8. What does Dwight do on the drive to Chinook?
(a) He talks with Toby and asks about his interests.
(b) He asks questions about Rosemary.
(c) He hits a beaver walking across the road.
(d) He tells Toby how happy he is to have Toby in his life.
9. What is ironic about Dwight forcing Toby to admit he is a liar?
(a) Toby was not lying when he said he felt sick to his stomach.
(b) Dwight is able to make Toby behave, while Rosemary cannot.
(c) Dwight has done nothing but lie since Toby met him.
(d) Toby lies about the lies he tells.
10. What did the note from Sister James say?
(a) It asked Toby's mother to call Sister James.
(b) It expressed concern about Toby's after school activities.
(c) It invited Toby's family to a church potluck.
(d) It praised Toby and his involvement in his catechism classes.
11. What is the significance of the particularly cruel woman in the crowd during the game being dressed in curlers and toreador pants?
(a) It represents the insensible cruelty of society.
(b) It mirrors the falseness of Rosemary's interest in parenting.
(c) It shows the woman is crazy or has been the victim of abuse.
(d) It shows that the woman has no fashion sense.
12. What does Dwight make Toby do to keep him busy?
(a) Find odd jobs around the neighborhood.
(b) Clean the house.
(c) His homework.
(d) Husk horse chestnuts and get a paper route.
13. What is Toby's favorite after school activity?
(a) Pretending to shoot people with his rifle from inside the apartment.
(b) Reading comic books.
(c) Watching television.
(d) Writing letters to his penpal.
14. What do Toby and his mother do during the evenings?
(a) Toby's mother helps him with his schoolwork.
(b) They have dinner at a local church.
(c) Toby's mother flirts with the landlord while Toby is left alone.
(d) They go for walks and fantasize about buying houses.
15. When Dwight drives drunk after visiting Marblemount tavern, Pearl grabs Toby when Dwight takes sharp curves. What does this show about Pearl and Toby's relationship?
(a) Pearl has feelings for Toby.
(b) Pearl fears her father.
(c) Pearl and Toby act as a support system for each other.
(d) Both Pearl and Toby are victims of Dwight's cruelty.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Toby and Arthur make up?
2. What does Toby steal money to do?
3. Why doesn't Roy go with Toby and his mother when they move?
4. Why does Toby's mother agree to let Gil buy Toby a bike?
5. What do Pearl and Toby do when Rosemary takes their picture?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)