|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Dwight react when Rosemary wins the turkey shoot?
(a) He blames his performance on Toby.
(b) He congratulates her.
(c) He storms into his room and pouts when they return home.
(d) He becomes jealous of the other men congratulating her.
2. What event prompts Toby to rethink forgiving his father for abandoning him?
(a) Toby and his father meet again and do not get along.
(b) Dwight constantly belittles Toby's father.
(c) The birth of Toby's first child.
(d) Rosemary admitting to Toby that his father never liked him.
3. Toby is crushed when he realizes that Bobby and Norma were having sex while he played basketball. What does this prompt Toby to fantasize about?
(a) Beating Bobby up.
(b) Winning a basketball game to get Norma's attention.
(c) Getting horribly injured in Norma's presence and being nursed back to health by her.
(d) Hitting Norma for betraying him, and then forgiving her.
4. What color do Toby and Dwight paint the house?
(c) They do not paint the house.
5. Why do Toby and his mother leave Moab, Utah?
(a) Toby's mother decides to return to her hometown in California.
(b) Moab's schools are not suitable for Toby.
(c) Any mining fortune to be made has already been made.
(d) Toby's mother is offered a job in Salt Lake City.
6. What do Rosemary and Toby do when they leave the West Seattle apartment?
(a) Move in with Gil.
(b) Move into a house scheduled for demolition.
(c) Find a different apartment.
(d) Return to live with Roy.
7. How does Toby view his move to Chinook?
(a) A chance to have a real family.
(b) A chance to make new friends.
(c) A bad thing.
(d) An opportunity to create a new identity.
8. What is NOT one of the reasons Toby wears his hair slicked back?
(a) His mother doesn't like it.
(b) He can only wash it once a week.
(c) Toby thinks it makes him look cool.
(d) Both his friends wear their hair the same way.
9. What does the principal say when he notices nicotine on Toby's fingers?
(a) He accuses Toby of smoking.
(b) He talks about digging through trash cans for a cigarette.
(c) He asks Rosemary if she bought cigarettes for her son.
10. Why are Toby and his mother leaving Florida for Utah?
(a) Toby's mother thinks Toby will receive a better education there.
(b) Toby's mother has been offered a job in Utah.
(c) They are trying to escape Toby's mother's boyfriend.
(d) Toby's father lives in Utah.
11. Why doesn't Rosemary live with Toby and Dwight?
(a) Dwight wants more time to bond with Toby.
(b) Rosemary can't find a job in Chinook.
(c) Rosemary doesn't know if she wants to marry Dwight.
(d) Chinook is too far from Rosemary's friends.
12. What is Toby's favorite after school activity?
(a) Watching television.
(b) Pretending to shoot people with his rifle from inside the apartment.
(c) Writing letters to his penpal.
(d) Reading comic books.
13. What does Dwight do when Toby needs new shoes?
(a) Forces Toby to wear the shoes he has outgrown.
(b) Buys several pairs of shoes in different sizes.
(c) Makes Toby pay for new shoes.
(d) Buys brown loafers that Toby must use for everything.
14. What is the upsetting question Roy asks Toby?
(a) If Toby had been playing with the gun unsupervised.
(b) What Toby would think of having a little brother.
(c) If Toby wanted to go on a trip with Roy.
(d) How much Toby loved his mother.
15. How does Toby plan to convince the people he meets that he is a jock or a brain?
(a) He plans to threaten others if they do not believe him.
(b) He believes they will trust that he is who he says he is.
(c) He hopes others will see the potential in him to become a jock or a brain.
(d) He hopes he will be able to show off his strength and intelligence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is most symbolic of Toby's life with Dwight?
2. How do Toby and Arthur make up?
3. What is the condition under which Toby's mother agrees to let him change his name?
4. When Dwight drives drunk after visiting Marblemount tavern, Pearl grabs Toby when Dwight takes sharp curves. What does this show about Pearl and Toby's relationship?
5. When Toby's mother was little, she rode in a parade float called the "End of the Rainbow." What does this suggest about Toby's mother?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)