Chapter 1, Fortune (pgs. 3-7)
• Toby and his mother are driving from Florida to Utah to escape Toby's mother's abusive, obsessive boyfriend.
• Toby makes his mother buy his love.
• Toby's mother does not live in the present; she either daydreams about a better future or thinks about her past.
Chapter 1, Fortune (pgs. 8-22)
• Toby believes changing his name will also change his identify and his life problems.
• Toby has no relationship with his older brother or his father.
• Toby takes catechism classes taught by Sister James.
• Every day, Roy and Toby hide near his mother's work and wait to follow her home.
Chapter 1, Fortune (pgs. 23-28)
• Roy gives Toby his Winchester .22 rifle.
• Toby believes the gun will give him the powerful, manly identity that he is searching for.
• Alone in the apartment after school, Toby tracks people outside on the street and pretends to shoot them.
• The more innocent...
This section contains 1,636 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)