|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clay ask Tony as they are driving?
2. Why does Clay feel that Hannah got into the hot tub with Bryce?
3. What did the boy steal from Hannah?
4. What is on the last tape?
5. What does Tony do as he is pulling out of the parking lot?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
2. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
3. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
4. Why did Hannah like poetry?
5. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
6. What did Zach do to betray Hannah's trust?
7. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
8. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
9. What are the two reasons that Clay is late for school for the first time in his life?
10. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As Clay goes to Hannah's house, the first stop on her map, he recalls a fatal car accident he witnessed on the same street. A man was talking on the phone when he hit another car. The driver of the other car, a senior in high school, died. Clay realizes that the man lived in Hannah's old house.
Why do you think the author included this memory in the story?
What might this event represent?
How do you think the memory might tie into the story later?
Does this information make you more interested in the story? Less interested?
Essay Topic 2
What has Clay learned about himself, and about Hannah, by the end of the book?
1) Who does Clay blame for Hannah's death?
2) Does he feel that things were as hopeless as Hannah thought?
3) What actions does Clay take as a result of Hannah's tapes?
4) What has Clay learned about himself?
Use examples from the text to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
What happened to Jessica during the Cottonwood house party? What was Hannah's role in the event? What was Justin's role? How does the fact that Jessica was drunk contribute to what happened? Why do you think Justin didn't do anything to stop Bryce? Why would he allow Jessica to be harmed? Why didn't Hannah do anything to help Jessica? How might Hannah's failure to help Jessica have pushed Hannah over the edge?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)