|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who interrupts Clay as he is listening to the tapes at Rosie's?
2. What does Tony say when Clay asks him why he has Hannah's tapes?
3. Whose life does Tony say will never be the same?
4. How did the students treat the bags?
5. What does Hannah ask the listener at the beginning Cassette 6, Side B?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
2. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
3. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
4. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
5. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
6. What did Hannah do once she arrived at Courtney's house?
7. Why did Hannah like poetry?
8. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
9. What are the last words that Clay remembers speaking to Hannah?
10. How did Tony become responsible for the tapes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clay's friend Tony has been a part of the story from the very beginning. However, it is not until Part 6 that the reader becomes aware of Tony's role in the Hannah's tapes.
1) Who is Tony?
2) How did he know Hannah?
3) Why do you think Hannah trusted him with the tapes and not Clay?
4) Why do you think Tony is taking his job so seriously?
Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
It is certain that many people negatively affected Hannah's life. She was betrayed and treated poorly by a number of people she trusted and others that she didn't trust. However, Hannah seems to have made some choices throughout the book that put her in harm's way.
Give 5 examples of how Hannah put herself in situations where she could be treated poorly.
1) Explain what Hannah could have done differently.
2) Why do you think Hannah did these things?
Essay Topic 3
How has Hannah damaged Clay's feelings about himself? Do you think this was her intent when she included him in the tapes? How do you know? Should Clay (or any of the others) feel partially responsible for Hannah's death? Why or why not?
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)