|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Tony realize after listening to the tapes?
2. Who interrupts Clay as he is listening to the tapes at Rosie's?
3. What does Clay have that Tony asks about?
4. What is Clay going to spend the next few weeks watching for?
5. What are Jessica and Justin doing in the bedroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Skye remind Clay of Hannah?
2. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
3. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
4. What does Clay think about as he goes to his locker?
5. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
6. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
7. What are the two reasons that Clay is late for school for the first time in his life?
8. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
9. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
10. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hannah's first kiss with Justin to Clay's memories of her first kiss with him. How did Hannah feel about the kisses? How did Clay feel about the kisses? What happened after Hannah kissed Justin? What does Clay remember happening after Hannah kissed him? How did Hannah feel about Justin's bragging? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What happened to Jessica during the Cottonwood house party? What was Hannah's role in the event? What was Justin's role? How does the fact that Jessica was drunk contribute to what happened? Why do you think Justin didn't do anything to stop Bryce? Why would he allow Jessica to be harmed? Why didn't Hannah do anything to help Jessica? How might Hannah's failure to help Jessica have pushed Hannah over the edge?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used heavily in the novel. Why might the author use this particular technique? How does it affect you as the reader? Did it cause you to read faster? More slowly? Did it keep you interested? Did it cause you to lose interest? Explain why you feel the ways you do.
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)