|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Hannah give Tony her bike?
2. When does Part 9 take place?
3. What does Tony want Clay to do right away?
4. What does Tony do as he is pulling out of the parking lot?
5. What is one reason Clay is late to school for the first time in his life?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
2. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
3. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
4. What did Zach do to betray Hannah's trust?
5. Where did Hannah go the night she was house sitting for her father's friend?
6. What did Hannah do once she arrived at Courtney's house?
7. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
8. What happened after Hannah anonymously asked the Peer Communications teacher to discuss suicide?
9. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
10. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Clay's friend Tony has been a part of the story from the very beginning. However, it is not until Part 6 that the reader becomes aware of Tony's role in the Hannah's tapes.
1) Who is Tony?
2) How did he know Hannah?
3) Why do you think Hannah trusted him with the tapes and not Clay?
4) Why do you think Tony is taking his job so seriously?
Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
What has Clay learned about himself, and about Hannah, by the end of the book?
1) Who does Clay blame for Hannah's death?
2) Does he feel that things were as hopeless as Hannah thought?
3) What actions does Clay take as a result of Hannah's tapes?
4) What has Clay learned about himself?
Use examples from the text to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)