|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Part 9 take place in the timeline of the novel?
2. What happens to Jessica?
3. How long did Hannah consider suicide before doing it?
4. What happened once Hannah's poem was published?
5. What did the boy steal from Hannah?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hannah like Peer Communications class?
2. Why did Hannah like poetry?
3. What happened to Jessica at the Cottonwood party?
4. How did Tony become responsible for the tapes?
5. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
6. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
7. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
8. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
9. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
10. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 2
As Clay goes to Hannah's house, the first stop on her map, he recalls a fatal car accident he witnessed on the same street. A man was talking on the phone when he hit another car. The driver of the other car, a senior in high school, died. Clay realizes that the man lived in Hannah's old house.
Why do you think the author included this memory in the story?
What might this event represent?
How do you think the memory might tie into the story later?
Does this information make you more interested in the story? Less interested?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Hannah's first kiss with Justin to Clay's memories of her first kiss with him. How did Hannah feel about the kisses? How did Clay feel about the kisses? What happened after Hannah kissed Justin? What does Clay remember happening after Hannah kissed him? How did Hannah feel about Justin's bragging? Use the text to support your answers.
This section contains 753 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)