|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does Tony blame Clay for Hannah's suicide?
2. What is Clay going to spend the next few weeks watching for?
3. What is on the last tape?
4. How does Clay cut his hand?
5. What does Clay do when he sees Skye walking away from him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
2. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
3. What are two signs of suicide that Hannah has displayed up to this point?
4. What does Clay think about as he goes to his locker?
5. What happened to Jessica at the Cottonwood party?
6. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
7. What are the last words that Clay remembers speaking to Hannah?
8. How did Tony become responsible for the tapes?
9. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
10. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Hannah's intimacy with Bryce in Courtney's hot tub was self punishment. Why would Hannah feel she needed to be punished? What feelings about herself did Hannah reinforce by being with Bryce? What was Clay's explanation for Hannah's behavior with Bryce? Provide examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)