|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Clay plan to spend the night?
2. What bothered the class about the note Hannah left?
3. Where does Clay go instead of Courtney's house?
4. Where does Hannah take a poetry writing course?
5. What does Hannah ask the listener at the beginning Cassette 6, Side B?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
2. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
3. What happened to Jessica at the Cottonwood party?
4. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
5. What did Zach do to betray Hannah's trust?
6. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
7. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
8. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
9. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
10. What does Clay not want to have to do when he gets to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Hannah's first kiss with Justin to Clay's memories of her first kiss with him. How did Hannah feel about the kisses? How did Clay feel about the kisses? What happened after Hannah kissed Justin? What does Clay remember happening after Hannah kissed him? How did Hannah feel about Justin's bragging? Use the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Porter and why is he included in the story? Do you think Mr. Porter cared about Hannah? Why or why not? What more could Mr. Porter have done to help Hannah? Is it fair that Mr. Porter is on the list and on the tapes? Why or why not? Do you think that Hannah could have allowed Mr. Porter to help her if she had been more open with him the day they met in his office? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used heavily in the novel. Why might the author use this particular technique? How does it affect you as the reader? Did it cause you to read faster? More slowly? Did it keep you interested? Did it cause you to lose interest? Explain why you feel the ways you do.
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)