|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Porter suggest Hannah do about the boy who hurt her?
2. Besides Hannah, who else could have helped Jessica?
3. What does Clay do when he and Tony pull up in front of the Cottonwood house?
4. Where does Clay plan to spend the night?
5. What was Hannah doing when she had flashbacks of the Cottonwood party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
2. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
3. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
4. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
5. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
6. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
7. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
8. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
9. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
10. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When Clay arrives at Tyler Down's house he finds Marcus Cooley already there. Marcus is upset with the way Tyler took advantage of Courtney and Hannah when he was a Peeping Tom. What is ironic about Marcus being upset by Tyler's behavior? How has Marcus's own behavior toward Hannah been? Do you think Marcus is really angry at Tyler, or is he angry at himself? Why do you feel the way you do?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
Essay Topic 2
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 3
How has Hannah damaged Clay's feelings about himself? Do you think this was her intent when she included him in the tapes? How do you know? Should Clay (or any of the others) feel partially responsible for Hannah's death? Why or why not?
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)