|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Porter ask a student to do?
2. What does Tony tell Clay?
3. Where does Part 9 take place in the timeline of the novel?
4. What was Hannah doing when she had flashbacks of the Cottonwood party?
5. What did Hannah request of the teacher in an anonymous note?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the last words that Clay remembers speaking to Hannah?
2. What did Hannah do once she arrived at Courtney's house?
3. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
4. What happened after Hannah anonymously asked the Peer Communications teacher to discuss suicide?
5. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
6. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
7. What did Zach do to betray Hannah's trust?
8. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
9. What does Clay not want to have to do when he gets to school?
10. What are two signs of suicide that Hannah has displayed up to this point?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 2
Who is Mr. Porter and why is he included in the story? Do you think Mr. Porter cared about Hannah? Why or why not? What more could Mr. Porter have done to help Hannah? Is it fair that Mr. Porter is on the list and on the tapes? Why or why not? Do you think that Hannah could have allowed Mr. Porter to help her if she had been more open with him the day they met in his office? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How is Bryce Walker a major character in this story?
1) List Hannah's interactions with Bryce in the book.
2) How have those interactions influenced Hannah's choices?
3) List Clay's interactions with Bryce in the book.
4) How have the memories of those interactions changed Clay?
Use examples from the text to answer the the question.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)