|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Hannah ask the listener at the beginning Cassette 6, Side B?
2. What does Tony have in his possession?
3. Does Tony blame Clay for Hannah's suicide?
4. What does Clay do when he sees Skye walking away from him?
5. What is Clay going to spend the next few weeks watching for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are two signs of suicide that Hannah has displayed up to this point?
2. What does Clay not want to have to do when he gets to school?
3. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
4. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
5. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
6. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
7. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
8. What happened after Hannah anonymously asked the Peer Communications teacher to discuss suicide?
9. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
10. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
It is certain that many people negatively affected Hannah's life. She was betrayed and treated poorly by a number of people she trusted and others that she didn't trust. However, Hannah seems to have made some choices throughout the book that put her in harm's way.
Give 5 examples of how Hannah put herself in situations where she could be treated poorly.
1) Explain what Hannah could have done differently.
2) Why do you think Hannah did these things?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how Hannah's intimacy with Bryce in Courtney's hot tub was self punishment. Why would Hannah feel she needed to be punished? What feelings about herself did Hannah reinforce by being with Bryce? What was Clay's explanation for Hannah's behavior with Bryce? Provide examples from the text in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How is Bryce Walker a major character in this story?
1) List Hannah's interactions with Bryce in the book.
2) How have those interactions influenced Hannah's choices?
3) List Clay's interactions with Bryce in the book.
4) How have the memories of those interactions changed Clay?
Use examples from the text to answer the the question.
This section contains 800 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)