|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Clay when he listens to the last tape?
2. What does Tony have in his possession?
3. Where does Part 9 take place in the timeline of the novel?
4. Who is kissing on the couch that Hannah and Clay are sitting on?
5. What is Clay anxious about?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
2. Why does Skye remind Clay of Hannah?
3. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
4. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
5. What happened in Hannah's poetry class that reinforced her belief that people always betrayed her?
6. What happened to Jessica at the Cottonwood party?
7. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
8. Why did Hannah like Peer Communications class?
9. If Clay enjoyed spending time with Hannah, and wanted to date her, why didn't he?
10. What does Clay not want to have to do when he gets to school?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
1) Who is Hannah and why has she created the set of tapes?
2) How does Clay feel about receiving the tapes? How do you know he feels this way?
3) What is so shocking about Hannah's tapes?
4) Why do you think Clay received the tapes? What do you think he may have done to Hannah?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used heavily in the novel. Why might the author use this particular technique? How does it affect you as the reader? Did it cause you to read faster? More slowly? Did it keep you interested? Did it cause you to lose interest? Explain why you feel the ways you do.
Essay Topic 3
It is certain that many people negatively affected Hannah's life. She was betrayed and treated poorly by a number of people she trusted and others that she didn't trust. However, Hannah seems to have made some choices throughout the book that put her in harm's way.
Give 5 examples of how Hannah put herself in situations where she could be treated poorly.
1) Explain what Hannah could have done differently.
2) Why do you think Hannah did these things?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)