|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What appeals to Clay as he looks at the menu?
2. What was one of the top signs of suicide listed in the pamphlet handed out by the teacher?
3. When does Part 9 take place?
4. What does Clay think about as he watches Tony?
5. What is Hannah talking about as Part 6 begins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Zach do to betray Hannah's trust?
2. Why does Clay believe people won't say sorry to Hannah even after she is dead?
3. Why did Hannah like poetry?
4. Where did Hannah go the night she was house sitting for her father's friend?
5. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
6. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
7. Why was Tony waiting for Clay outside of Rosie's diner?
8. At what point in time does Part 9 take place?
9. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
10. What are the last words that Clay remembers speaking to Hannah?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Hannah damaged Clay's feelings about himself? Do you think this was her intent when she included him in the tapes? How do you know? Should Clay (or any of the others) feel partially responsible for Hannah's death? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
1) Who is Hannah and why has she created the set of tapes?
2) How does Clay feel about receiving the tapes? How do you know he feels this way?
3) What is so shocking about Hannah's tapes?
4) Why do you think Clay received the tapes? What do you think he may have done to Hannah?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used heavily in the novel. Why might the author use this particular technique? How does it affect you as the reader? Did it cause you to read faster? More slowly? Did it keep you interested? Did it cause you to lose interest? Explain why you feel the ways you do.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)