|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Skye say that reminds Clay of Hannah?
2. What does Tony tell Clay?
3. Where is Clay when he listens to the last tape?
4. Where does Hannah hide when a new boy enters the room?
5. What did Tony realize after listening to the tapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it ironic that Hannah asks the listener not to give up on her at the beginning of Cassette 6, Side B?
2. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
3. What are two signs of suicide that Hannah has displayed up to this point?
4. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
5. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
6. How does Hannah's conversation with the guidance counselor, Mr. Porter, turn out?
7. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
8. Why did Hannah like Peer Communications class?
9. What are the two reasons that Clay is late for school for the first time in his life?
10. What happened as Jenny and Hannah were driving home from the party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is Bryce Walker a major character in this story?
1) List Hannah's interactions with Bryce in the book.
2) How have those interactions influenced Hannah's choices?
3) List Clay's interactions with Bryce in the book.
4) How have the memories of those interactions changed Clay?
Use examples from the text to answer the the question.
Essay Topic 2
The past relationship between Hannah and Clay comes to a climax during the house party on Cottonwood Street. Up until this point, the reader is unaware that Hannah and Clay's relationship anything more than just friendship and a shared longing. What happened between the two in the bedroom during the party? How did Hannah's kiss with Justin interfere with their kiss? Why did Clay apologize to Hannah after their kiss? How did both Clay and Hannah miss an opportunity to help Hannah with her self destructive feelings?
Essay Topic 3
As Clay goes to Hannah's house, the first stop on her map, he recalls a fatal car accident he witnessed on the same street. A man was talking on the phone when he hit another car. The driver of the other car, a senior in high school, died. Clay realizes that the man lived in Hannah's old house.
Why do you think the author included this memory in the story?
What might this event represent?
How do you think the memory might tie into the story later?
Does this information make you more interested in the story? Less interested?
This section contains 851 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)