|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clay remember of the last time he saw Hannah?
2. Where was Hannah invited to join Courtney and Bryce in the hot tub?
3. What does Clay have that Tony asks about?
4. What happens between Hannah and Bryce?
5. What did Tony want to know when he first received the tapes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Clay see walking down the hall at school?
2. How are Hannah and Justin partially responsible for what happened to Jessica?
3. Why did Hannah like poetry?
4. How does listening to Hannah's tapes make Clay feel about their relationship?
5. What does Tony mean when he tells Clay, "I'm trying to keep us on the road"?
6. Why did Hannah include Clay in her tapes?
7. How does Clay feel about lying to his mother?
8. What is significant about Hannah's appearance in this section?
9. What are two signs of suicide that Hannah has displayed up to this point?
10. What is Tony doing that causes Clay to pay him attention in the diner? Is his behavior odd?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How many things that happen to Hannah in the story are a direct result of her loss of reputation? How is she treated differently by boys? Who has treated her differently? How was she treated differently by girls? Even if the rumors about Hannah and Justin were true, would she have deserved this type of treatment? Why or why not? Do you think that the author is trying to make a statement? If so, what statement is he trying to make?
Use examples from the text to answer the questions.
Essay Topic 2
What has Clay learned about himself, and about Hannah, by the end of the book?
1) Who does Clay blame for Hannah's death?
2) Does he feel that things were as hopeless as Hannah thought?
3) What actions does Clay take as a result of Hannah's tapes?
4) What has Clay learned about himself?
Use examples from the text to explain your answers.
Essay Topic 3
When Clay arrives at Tyler Down's house he finds Marcus Cooley already there. Marcus is upset with the way Tyler took advantage of Courtney and Hannah when he was a Peeping Tom. What is ironic about Marcus being upset by Tyler's behavior? How has Marcus's own behavior toward Hannah been? Do you think Marcus is really angry at Tyler, or is he angry at himself? Why do you feel the way you do?
Use examples from the text to support your answers.
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)